Page 1 of 2
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Managed to score me one hell of a rare bird the other day. This is the Buster Jangle pedal, created from the combined geniuses of Brian at Subdecay and Nicholas at Catalinbread. There were only 23 ever built, and this is #19. It's essentially a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso boost and a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine overdrive in a single pedal, but with it's own little twist. I honestly have never heard a better overdrive pedal. I currently use the Suhr line of pedals and really like them, but this pedal one-ups them. The sheer clarity of this pedal is just boggling. I knew nothing about this pedal or it's rarity at all when I tried it, I was just blown away by the sound. Came home, did some research, found practically nothing (there's almost nothing about this pedal online, I think there are like 3 results under google)...and brought it home with me.

Here she is:

TLDR: if you ever see one of these for sale anywhere, buy it on sight. It's just that damn good.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
kutless999
1,514 IQ
Cool.

Clips?

HNPD!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by greeny23
Gut shots please!

Ask and ye shall receive:

CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Clips will be incoming as soon as I can find my vidcam. I'm just currently spending some time trying to figure out exactly where to place it on my board.
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Chili Picoso is based on the Orman Minibooster, which is a great boost. It's no surprise to me that it sounds great to you.

I've never tried any of either company's pedals, but something about this collaboration is just magical. I don't understand why there's so little online about it, people seem to be raving about this pedal whenever I find a mention of it. I suppose they're spending their time playing and not typing :P

And I have a fantastic boost that I adore right now (Xotic effects EP Booster), but this is just a different kind of boost. The EP is really a clean boost and this gives a little more dirt.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 7, 2011,
OliOsbourne
545 IQ
hnpd

clips is a must
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wish I could elaborate more on why it may sound good, but I'm having problems finding a schematic of the liquid sunshine.

Schematic or no schematic, I just listen to my ears. And to my ears this is definitely the best overdrive I have ever heard.
simpro14.5
Ukulele enthousiast
367 IQ
HNPD, glad that you enjoy it. Can't wait for the clips
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, of course.

I just like to know why certain pedals sound good. It gives me a good understanding of how to change and build my own rig and my tone.

I see what looks like the pads for 4 transistors. One for the MOSFET boost and I'm guessing the other 3 are cascaded for the Liquid Sunshine.

But I also see 8 pads that look like a DIP8 package so maybe an op amp with MOSFET clippers and a FET recovery stage?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,170 IQ
Waiting for clips!

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
The minibooster is actually the mu-amp one. Or wait. Do I have the names mixed up?
The one in the Chili is the muamp one haha.

I though the Chili was the MOSFET boost? http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

I dunno for sure though. Jack's got like 5 different boosts attributed to him.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by Perverockstar69
I CAN'T FIND ONE! I looked at all Catalinbread dealers and nothing!

Are you talking about this pedal?
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
Quote by Perverockstar69
I CAN'T FIND ONE! I looked at all Catalinbread dealers and nothing!

not sure if serious...
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
not sure if serious...

Either a really weak attempt at trolling, or a serious misunderstanding of what is being discussed here.
severed-metal
moo
4,349 IQ
Pretty solid condition, I can dig it. So, the real question is, why do you fawn over this but not share the wonderful sound?

I can wait.
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
Pretty solid condition, I can dig it. So, the real question is, why do you fawn over this but not share the wonderful sound?

I can wait.

As I said earlier, I have to get my vidcam to get clips done. It's not at my place at the moment, so it'll have to wait. Until then, here's a nice youtube demo someone else did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWocdh_TFs
Perverockstar69
3,494 IQ
Quote by CustomAxe
Are you talking about this pedal?

Yes, I went to Catalinbread website, clicked on retailers and opened every single website of the dealers from the google map... nothing! I promise.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by Perverockstar69
Yes, I went to Catalinbread website, clicked on retailers and opened every single website of the dealers from the google map... nothing! I promise.

I r confuze.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Perverockstar69
3,494 IQ
I searched for the Buster Jangle on catalinbread's dealers websites to buy one. Couldn't find any... Clear enough?
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by CustomAxe
There were only 23 ever built, and this is #19.

???
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Perverockstar69
3,494 IQ
I read that, I was just looking for a possibility :P, let me dream man lol. It would make me veeeeery happy if a get one though...
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Maybe browse TGP or eBay? I dunno. I've only ever seen one before and that was around a year ago. According to the guys from Cattybread, a Super Chili Picoso and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine will get you the exact same result, just without the cool name.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Perverockstar69
3,494 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
Maybe browse TGP or eBay? I dunno. I've only ever seen one before and that was around a year ago. According to the guys from Cattybread, a Super Chili Picoso and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine will get you the exact same result, just without the cool name.

Well, I'll check if a can get one, if not I'll get each pedal separately. I LOVE CATALINBREAD MAN! They give you so much for so less... I have an Ottava Magus (the first one) and it's my secret acid weapon for that special part of a solo or for an extra intense part on phrasing. It's so sensitive to your picking so it gets really expressive, you can even simul a sitar using the bridge pick up and rolling down the volume.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
now that's cool. would love to hear clips.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by Perverockstar69
Well, I'll check if a can get one, if not I'll get each pedal separately. I LOVE CATALINBREAD MAN! They give you so much for so less... I have an Ottava Magus (the first one) and it's my secret acid weapon for that special part of a solo or for an extra intense part on phrasing. It's so sensitive to your picking so it gets really expressive, you can even simul a sitar using the bridge pick up and rolling down the volume.

Yeah, if you want this tone the smartest thing to do is to just get both pedals and run them together. It'll get you pretty much the exact tone. Just doesn't look as awesome as this pedal does :P. I just happened to hit a patch of good luck when this dropped into my lap. Even searching google, I only found one or two that were for sale on forums, and this was back when the pedal had just been released (2006 or so).

Clips are coming hopefully this weekend, just have to get the vidcam and find some spare time. The youtube demo of it is very close to how it actually sounds though.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 8, 2011,
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by robbo546hall
that guys clip sounds really nice.

Exactly how mine sounds . It's really a phenomenal pedal. The versatility of it is amazing, especially when you stack another boost along with it (I'm using the Xotic Effects EP Booster too, and together it's just a massive sound).
UKMaster
Wales is best
2,453 IQ
How much was it??

HNPD!!
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
The minibooster is actually the mu-amp one. Or wait. Do I have the names mixed up?
The one in the Chili is the muamp one haha.

Just check CBread's site and ya, it's the single transistor MOSFET boost. And Subdecay's site says that the Liquid Sunshine is FET based.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Quote by UKMaster
How much was it??

HNPD!!

Thanks! I paid around $190 and it looks like it's never been touched. I think they were around $250 new. Quite honestly, if it was priced at $300 I would've bought it too. As guitar players we know that when we get "that" tone, if you can afford it you'll spend whatever it costs, haha. This is my priciest pedal though. I have a lot of great stuff on my board but this is the first pedal that I was ready to buy within ten seconds of trying it.

My board right now is, right to left:

TC Electronics Polytune, Crybaby 535Q multi-wah, Buster Jangle, Suhr Shiba Drive, Suhr Riot, Xotic Effects EP Booster, vintage script logo MXR Phase 90, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy delay, Rogue Analog Chorus, and Rogue Tremolo (they're meh, but they were $16 each).

Using the EP Booster with the Jangle is fantastic, it adds an extra kick on top of the kick that the Jangle's boost provides. Gets you to some truly meaty tones.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Sep 8, 2011,
ikey_
4,739 IQ
going off youtube - that is one of the sexiest sounds ive eard come out of a guitar. I mean some boutique amps get that sound but ive neverheard drive so good from a pedal. Completely organic and smooth. jesus christ.