Nothing fancy or too complex, just kinda confusing. (in standard tuning)

e----------------------------
b----------------------------
G----4------5---------------
D----2------2-------5------4
A----3------3-------2------2
E----x------x-------3------3

Now. the first I though is Cmaj7, however I cannot find it on any guitar chord sites (all-guitar-chord, chord-book, or jam-play). The 2nd one would be in the note family as the 1st, no? The 3rd chord I thought was a G major chord/Eminor chord, unsure about 4th chord.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
im probably completely wrong but

cmaj 7

c3rd?

g3rd?

gmajor7

The 1st and 4th i amconfusd about as they are missing the 5th. I don;t know how this would affect the name
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Sep 7, 2011,
C3rd and G3rd?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
CMaj7no5

Just a major third interval, not really a chord.

Same again

GMaj7no5
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
The first is a Cmaj7
The second one is a C major because the formula is 1-3-1. So not really a complete chord.
Like the second one G major
And last one is Gmaj7

Hope that helps
When life gives you lemons keep them because, hey, free lemons.
Last edited by TheMetalhead541 at Sep 7, 2011,
well first one is: C, E, B.... no fifth forgot whats that called but its the 1st, 3rd, and 7th... cmaj7?

second: C, E, C just a 1st and 3rd, not really a chord, just a variation of ur cmaj

third: G, B, G Just 1st and 3rd again. Perhaps a variation of gmaj

fourth: G, B, F# 1st, 3rd and 7th... my guess is gmaj7

sorry. Havnt had theory class in a while now, but most are not complete chords...
Pigeon, sorry, kinda a theory noob, what do you mean by just a major third interval? And what would the 2nd and 3rd roots be? C and G respectively?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
C3rd and G3rd?

Yep. The same as calling a power chord a 5th chord because it only contain the root and the fitfh. A 3rd chord would just contain the root and the 3rd (and the cotave in this example)

However, if you were to play the root and a minor 3rd then im not sure if it would be called a 3rd chord or a flattened 3rd chord. If your playing in a minor key i geuss you would call it a 3rd chord still. very unsure btw
Quote by AWACS
Pigeon, sorry, kinda a theory noob, what do you mean by just a major third interval? And what would the 2nd and 3rd roots be? C and G respectively?

The 1st one that is just an interval is C E C. C -> E is a major 3rd interval. Some people call any two note chord a power chord, although most people associate a power chord with root and 5th.

And yes, the two 'interval chords' have the root C and G.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by mrbabo91
Yep. The same as calling a power chord a 5th chord because it only contain the root and the fitfh. A 3rd chord would just contain the root and the 3rd (and the cotave in this example)

Sorry man, don't want to be that guy, but usually a root + 3rd is considered an incomplete triad, or not a full chord

Quote by mrbabo91
However, if you were to play the root and a minor 3rd then im not sure if it would be called a 3rd chord or a flattened 3rd chord. If your playing in a minor key i geuss you would call it a 3rd chord still. very unsure btw

And if you had a chord with 1, 3, and 5 in it. You would have a major chord. If you had a chord with a flattened 3rd (1, 3b, 5). That would be a minor chord.
Okay, thanks guys. So I would call the 2nd and 3rd chord C-three and G-three, just like (for example, root-5-root power chords) A-five or D-five?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I'd just say Cmaj7 and C. Fifths are generally unimportant and that's the underlying harmony you have going there. Right? I assume you don't have any crazy harmony with a Cmaj7b5 or anything. But if you wanted to be pedantic, throw in 'no5' or 'omit5' at the end or something.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221