Page 1 of 3
I searched, couldn't find a thread on this.

Is it just me, or is everyone else fed up of YouTube being full of guitarists, who happen to be young or female, and the biggest draw to them is that they're young or female? I have nothing against them, but they seem to be relying on pure sexism/ageism that people will go "Holy smokes, and girl that plays guitar! I thought they were all confined to the kitchen or bedroom. Woah, who knew!"

There are some really good female guitarists out there, but they get labelled as female guitarist rather than guitarists. Gabriela from Rodrigo Y Gabriela, for example. To top everything off, those girls/young people on YouTube, I bet they hate being labelled a female guitarist, but that seems to be half the reason they're famous.

/Rant.

I don't mean to come across as ignorant or anything (Prepares for flaming), because I respect female musicians just as much as male musicians. There are a lot of female guitarist that could kick my ass at playing, and the same for guys.
Usually on youtube, if you are female you will get more views regardless of ability. If female is quite attractive then 324 times as many views, if they can play guitar exceptionally well then more views.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Yeah, it's stupid. The only female guitarist on youtube who's impressed me is Sophia Di. She's awesome as shit.

Edit: I take that back. Elena Zucchini is a ridiculously good classical guitarist.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 7, 2011,
Couldn't agree with you more. Learning to play an instrument has no bias for age or sex, so acting like you should have praise heaped on you or getting endorsed because you're a girl or young is just silly and wrong. Physical handicaps(regarding arms, hands, fingers ext.) are a different story.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I don't understand it, honestly. If they're good, it's cool, if they're bad, they're still awful to listen to, and that's unappealing. It might even be worse if a girl is bad at guitar, because it's annoying to watch 23489234 guys lie to them about their abilities white knight style like it's going to get them laid.
maybe if i compliment this internet girls guitar skills she might touch my willy
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I stay away from little kids and their Spider 3 amps on Youtube as much as possible.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by genghisgandhi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrvSnh0hAA

If I could have sex with one person on this whole earth, it would be her. Her music taste alone gives me a boner.

Damn you for making me fall in love

The thing that annoys me almost as much as females getting attention because they don't have a ****, is the guys in the comments who try to make out they're a thousand times better than the girl.

I know I'm not as good as certain girls on YouTube. I'm not going to watch a Satriani vid and try to make out I'm better, so why the hell would I if she's female?!
Every time I've watched girls playing instruments, they just look awkward at it. Different techniques etc, that seem gender specific...and for that reason I'm yet to see a girl match a guy in actual ability

I'd love to be proved wrong, as I don't actively seek this out to compare...just what I've seen though.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
YouTube comments
I see where you're going wrong.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
young = wow look at him he has acquired skills that take years upon years for most people.

girl = wow i like guitars and i enjoy looking at girls, why not watch this video its got 2 things i like?

suck it up, princess.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Problem is, 90% of the time, those girls put "SUPER AMAZING GIRL GUITAR PLAYER ONLY 14 YEARS OLD" as the title of their videos.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by genghisgandhi

If I could have sex with one person on this whole earth, it would be her. Her music taste alone gives me a boner.

she looks like she is 12, however shes pretty good

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by MakinLattes
Girls and woman exploit and objectify themselves. It's nothing new. Guys falling for the manipulation isn't either.

I hadn't actually realized just why guys slobbering over crappy female guitarists bothered me so much, but now I do.

I'm taking up celibacy. CAN'T TRUST ANYONE!
Quote by DeadlySurfer
I searched, couldn't find a thread on this.

Is it just me, or is everyone else fed up of YouTube being full of guitarists, who happen to be young or female, and the biggest draw to them is that they're young or female? I have nothing against them, but they seem to be relying on pure sexism/ageism that people will go "Holy smokes, and girl that plays guitar! I thought they were all confined to the kitchen or bedroom. Woah, who knew!"

There are some really good female guitarists out there, but they get labelled as female guitarist rather than guitarists. Gabriela from Rodrigo Y Gabriela, for example. To top everything off, those girls/young people on YouTube, I bet they hate being labelled a female guitarist, but that seems to be half the reason they're famous.

/Rant.

I don't mean to come across as ignorant or anything (Prepares for flaming), because I respect female musicians just as much as male musicians. There are a lot of female guitarist that could kick my ass at playing, and the same for guys.

A good 80% of the time I see a female guitar player on youtube the title of the video reads "female guitar player plays or covers" whatever the fuck.

Most of them label themselves that.
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
Quote by JimmyBanks6
young = wow look at him he has acquired skills that take years upon years for most people.

girl = wow i like guitars and i enjoy looking at girls, why not watch this video its got 2 things i like?

suck it up, princess.

1st - If they're (Not just him) 11, he may have played since he was 6, perhaps. And if a guy was 34, and had only been playing a year but was exceptionally good, no one would care really.

2nd - You've proved my point. If it was a guy with a beer gut in a white stained vest, would you give it a second look? As I said in my first post, the female guitarist seem to rely on the fact that they are female.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
1st - If they're (Not just him) 11, he may have played since he was 6, perhaps. And if a guy was 34, and had only been playing a year but was exceptionally good, no one would care really.

2nd - You've proved my point. If it was a guy with a beer gut in a white stained vest, would you give it a second look? As I said in my first post, the female guitarist seem to rely on the fact that they are female.

yeah, its called guys like girls

its the same difference at a club, you go there and there a hot girl in short shorts with a nice rack, all the guys will be attempting to dance with her,

an old guy with a beer gut will be left out in hte dry.

life lesson: this will never change

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I agree with the titles, girls labeling themselves as such.

But I wonder how many times they'd shout a guy down if he offered a seat on the bus because she was female, or anything like that.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
yeah, its called guys like girls

its the same difference at a club, you go there and there a hot girl in short shorts with a nice rack, all the guys will be attempting to dance with her,

an old guy with a beer gut will be left out in hte dry.

life lesson: this will never change

Doesn't mean I can't find it annoying. Women fought for equal rights for years upon years, yet for some, when it will be beneficial, they flaunt it.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi

"Excuse me for sounding just like the creepy stalker you were just singing about, but my goodness you're beautiful. Not to mention you have wonderful taste in music, and a lovely voice. It's a shame I'm not eloquent enough to describe just how awesome you are, ahaha."

Flammablesquids 2 weeks ago

That's you isn't it
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
Also, being able to play a 4 chord song qualifies you about as well as an 8 year old. I don't really count female or male guitar players that record themselves and put that on youtube. Have at least some difficulty to the piece.

Quote by TheKraken
Jess Lewis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1wazW17qA

**** YEAH! She's not epic because she's female. She's just ****IN' EPIC!

Saw this a couple weeks ago and she is great. I think her hands look too small for the guitar though, going back to the "awkward" style also mentioned in this thread, that most female guitarists I've seen have.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
"Excuse me for sounding just like the creepy stalker you were just singing about, but my goodness you're beautiful. Not to mention you have wonderful taste in music, and a lovely voice. It's a shame I'm not eloquent enough to describe just how awesome you are, ahaha."

Flammablesquids 2 weeks ago

That's you isn't it

My youtube name does have a water dwelling animal in it, but alas, that is not me. I'm the guy who always suggests she does Neutral Milk Hotel covers. If she ever does, I'll never be unhappy again. Ever.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Problem is, 90% of the time, those girls put "SUPER AMAZING GIRL GUITAR PLAYER ONLY 14 YEARS OLD" as the title of their videos.

Exactly. Sometimes I really wonder if my whole gender (or age group for that matter) is that shallow.

It would be funny, or at least interesting, if someone would put up a video titled: SUPER AWESOME GUY GUITARIST ONLY 45 YEARS OLD.
Quote by genghisgandhi

****ing whispering what i cant hear
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
Quote by seavermmm
It would be funny, or at least interesting, if someone would put up a video titled: SUPER AWESOME GUY GUITARIST ONLY 45 YEARS OLD.

If someone does this it'd be amazing.
Quote by genghisgandhi
****ing irish accent what i cant hear

****ing
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
i've been saying this exact same thing for forever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 3