I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but anyway. I've been fooling around with the guitar for 3 or 4 months now and I've decided to get more serious with it, but i have no clue where to begin. I mostly down pick, but its fast enough to play songs like, the darkest nights, like like to flies, stuff like that. I can tremolo pick and do taps decently, I can't alternate pick worth a dime. So any suggestions on where I should start?
The White Stripes and a metronome? Guitar Pro 6 helps too--the built in metronome sux but you can build your own metronome track with the woodblocks.
Start slow, speed up very gradually.

Also: if you can't alternate pick then you can't tremolo pick, or at least not well. Tremolo picking is just alternate picking. They are physically exactly the same thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Start slow, speed up very gradually.

Also: if you can't alternate pick then you can't tremolo pick, or at least not well. Tremolo picking is just alternate picking. They are physically exactly the same thing.

Ah sorry let me correct myself, I can tremolo pick medium to fast speeds, but I have a short pause in between strings, don't know why its difficult for me to alternate pick though. Umm an example would be playing something like "like light to flies" opening, I can't alternate pick the opens as fast i could if I just down pick. If any of that makes sense.
As far as alternate picking goes I found that the best way to get it down is practice on one string first - preferable with a metronome set to a relatively slow tempo that you can easily manage. Once you can alternate pick that one string comfortably while holding time to the metronome ticking I think you should try using it to play some very simple melodies (that require you to change strings but not skip strings or change positions or any of that stuff) - basically take it in baby steps until you can play simple solos to an eighth note rhythm.

Hope that helped - I'm not so good at explaining and it's just my limited experience
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by joethenoob
Ah sorry let me correct myself, I can tremolo pick medium to fast speeds, but I have a short pause in between strings, don't know why its difficult for me to alternate pick though. Umm an example would be playing something like "like light to flies" opening, I can't alternate pick the opens as fast i could if I just down pick. If any of that makes sense.

Then you can't do it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no such thing as a small mistake, there are only mistakes. Again: start slow, speed up gradually, make sure your technique is actually good. Read the stickies.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This is what happens with every beginner. You need a good instructor who can guide you step by step. Playing Songs is not the first step anyway, you need to go a long way before that. String Exercises, Scales, Chords, Strumming patterns, Scale exercises etc etc.

Theory is a must. And there is a structured approach to learning guitar which a good instructor will be able to guide you on.