Page 1 of 2
The apostrophe is used to either make a word possessive (the cat's ball), conjoin two words (who's going with me?), or replace missing letters (I didn't know). Following the third example, shouldn't maths actually be math's because you are shortening it from mathematics?

I r confus

Edit: Situation resolved. Crisis aborted.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 7, 2011,
moths
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I just call it math :P
Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
No, because then it makes it sound possesive.

I'm pretty sure "maths" is grammatically incorrect anyways, as "math" itself is short for "mathematics." When you say you're taking math, you mean you're taking "mathematics," not "mathematic." "Maths" (Or "Math's") would be a bit redundant, and would make it possesive. "Math's" would then mean "Mathematics's."

At least the way I see it.

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
moths

I like your signature.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
No, because then it makes it sound possesive.

I'm pretty sure "maths" is grammatically incorrect anyways, as "math" itself is short for "mathematics." When you say you're taking math, you mean you're taking "mathematics," not "mathematic." "Maths" (Or "Math's") would be a bit redundant, and would make it possesive. "Math's" would then mean "Mathematics's."

At least the way I see it.

Not always. Who's going to the movie with me? That's not possessive, even though it looks like it at first glance.
PM me for newts
what can i tell you. making up a good language is yet another thing the British can't do.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by StewieSwan
Not always. Who's going to the movie with me? That's not possessive, even though it looks like it at first glance.

I suppose I should have added that if you mean "Mathematics is" then it would be correct. But you're proposing a situation in which "Math" is a contraction for "Mathematic," thus, "Math's" should mean "Mathematics," which isn't right.
maths'
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

it's like saying shouldn't threads be thread's.....

Wait, what the fuck did I just say?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Blackholesun00
Yeah how about "Math"?

I do say math. This question just arose because of all the euros who insist that it's 'maths'
PM me for newts
use "maths" in a sentence for me.............. The only reason you would ever put an S at the end of math is to make it possessive, as in; "Math's Quadratic Formula is used........" And the plural form of math is math. "Look at all the math I have to do" not "look at all the maths I have to do" DONE
Quote by StewieSwan
I do say math. This question just arose because of all the euros who insist that it's 'maths'

Wait... Those europe dudes say that? 0_o

Just another thing they say funny then.
In my experience, mathematicians and maths in general don't give a damn about the finer points of punctuation and grammar
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Quote by Pat_s1t
While Canada does use the word math and it sounds better, maths is more correct I think.

Hardly.

Mathematics -> Math

Direct abbreviation.

Mathematics -> Maths

Implying "mathematics" is plural, despite "mathematic" not even being an actual noun.
Just did some searching and found this:

Cases where an apostrophe is no longer necessary

Many short words originate from longer words, for example photo (from photograph), keeper (from goalkeeper). Until recent years, it was common practice to write photo' or 'keeper; however, the shortened words have been adopted as words in their own right and it is not necessary to use apostrophes to acknowledge the longer form.

So I guess I would have been right a number of years ago. Curse you, evolving languages!
PM me for newts
Quote by DJ_Effrey
In my experience, mathematicians and maths in general don't give a damn about the finer points of punctuation and grammar

Quote by StewieSwan

So I guess I would have been right a number of years ago. Curse you, evolving languages!

well now you know what to do if you ever get access to a time machine.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by StewieSwan

Oh. Well cool then.
Quote by soulflyV
We say Maths in Australia. The only time I've ever heard Math used has been in US tv/movies or on UG.

Does it really matter? We all understand what we're talking about.

There is nothing more important than proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by soulflyV
We say Maths in Australia. The only time I've ever heard Math used has been in US tv/movies or on UG.

Does it really matter? We all understand what we're talking about.

Well, to be fair Australia doesn't really do anything properly.
Quote by StewieSwan

Yeah I was addressing them, sorry to be unclear.

Math is also easier to say than Maths. It doesn't feel right trying to say it.
The word 'math' has now lost all meaning for me.. I've read it that many times. =0
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

I have a degree in mathematics, I don't particularly care how it's abbreviated.

I say maths, it's much more common here in Ireland.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I never heard anyone call it "maths" until I started posting here. At first I thought it was an internet thing, like how people say "teh internets".
Quote by StewieSwan
There is nothing more important that proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

Forgive me.

Quote by CaptDin
I never heard anyone call it "maths" until I started posting here. At first I thought it was an internet thing, like how people say "teh internets".

Same here.
PM me for newts
Nah, it'll just look like 'math is'. And English has enough exceptions as it is so might as well keep it maths lol. And as stated above, the plural of math is like moose, just the same word.

EDIT: I've only ever said it, never had to write it down before so i never thought about it's spelling until now.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Sep 7, 2011,
Maths, it's the same with latins. You wouldn't say latin now would you?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Math doesn't make any sense though?

Maths - Mathematics

Math - Mathematic?

"Oh, just heading to mathematic."

Math sounds stupid.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
Quote by SnowTau
Math doesn't make any sense though?

Maths - Mathematics

Math - Mathematic?

"Oh, just heading to mathematic."

Math sounds stupid.

Refer to my previous post and try to appear more intelligent in the future.
Page 1 of 2