Hi everyone. I currently own a Laney TubeFusion TF-200 II, and I'm planning to upgrade it.

My ambitions are no bigger than playing in my bedroom (maybe, in a distant future, a gig to 50 people), but I want this next amp to be definitive (think of it as an amp that clears the "what you need is a new amp dude" threshold =P)

I want to play metal, especially stuff like Kamelot, Nightwish, Angra, Metallica and Iron Maiden.

So far, I've mostly received suggestions for two models, both from Peavey

The Vypyr Tube 60 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

and the 6505 112 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc

What are you guys' opinions on these? Do they fit my bill? I am, of course, open to other suggestions, and my budget is quite flexible.

Now, to the other thing. I live in Brazil, where stuff is way overpriced, so I'll be buying the amp the next time I'm in the US. Which brings me to two questions:

1 - I should probably order stuff like this instead of relying on finding it in-store, right? Have it delivered or pick it up.

2 - What precautions should I take during the trip back? I'll most certainly have to check it. Insurance, a protective box maybe? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long post =P
Since you primarily want to play in a bedroom, i'd recommend the Vypyr over the 6505, the 6505 is quite loud and usually sounds better as such. The Vypyr tube should be enough to hold you over in the bedroom and should get you through small gigs as well. Also built in effects aren't bad
Quote by ticktockboom
Since you primarily want to play in a bedroom, i'd recommend the Vypyr over the 6505, the 6505 is quite loud and usually sounds better as such. The Vypyr tube should be enough to hold you over in the bedroom and should get you through small gigs as well. Also built in effects aren't bad

I see, makes sense.
I've been trying to find measurements for these, figure out the whole traveling stuff. Any advice guys?
The Vypyr will be more versatile than the 6505.

The 6505 is the best at doing what it does- being a 6505. That said, the Vypyrs 6505 model ,though it sounds nothing like a real one, is pretty darn badass in its own way.

Think of the Vypyr as a multi channel amp with varying voicings rather than something that will exactly replicate anoyher amp. You will be rewarded.

If you go Vypyr, I say you buy a used 120W head and a used cab with V30's, as the regular Vypyr is an open back and that isnt ideal for metal. The stock Blue Marvel speaker also isnt exactly the best.

EDIT: Both are big amps.

If its just bedroom playing, I suggest you get a DSP rack/floor pedal.
A used 11R should set you back by about the same amount as the 6505 112.
Only minus point is, youll still need a poweramp and cab for it to really sound good.

Also, the genres you play are British voiced (especially Iron maiden).
Also, IIRC Both Metallica and Nightwish use boosted British voiced amps (though Metallica used Mesa Mark II's and ive seen Rectos on stage on their live vids)

The Vypyr would do it better than the 6505, since the 6505 is essentially a one trick pony. Not that it isnt versatile (so long as you stick to uber brootz metal) its just that it doesn sound like anything but a 6505, whereas the Vypyr has british voiced amp models.

Im assuming your budget is around the 500-600 mark.

For that price why not a Jet City of some sort, or an Egnater>
Both will do the job pretty well, so long as you dont want pristine cleans and heavy distortion at the same time.

Laney's GH/VH series should also do the hot rodded Marshall tone pretty well.

Have you considered getting hold of something like a used JCM800?

You could also oreder off EBay, they have international shipping.

If you can stretch your budget to about USD 1000, then you can easily get an 11R, an FRFR amp of some sort (a keyboard amp will do, Peavey's KB3 and Rolands KC110 are both about 25-300 and are big enough for small to medium gigs) and a footswitch.

PM Reincaster, he swears by his eleven. He ended up selling off his Roadking and relegating his Stileltto to a secondary rig. Or did he sell off the Stileltto and push back the RK? I dont remember, but post in the DSP thread, he says he can get the 11R's Recto and Soldano models about 95% close to his amps. Yeah hes got a Soldano too, so he aint a typical 13 year old bragging about his spider
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 8, 2011,
Wow, what an amazing response, thank you GS Lead 5!

I've checked out most of what you said, including several sound clips. I've still a couple questions though.

So far, the Vypyrs seem to be the best to fit my bill. Would the difference between getting a Vypyr stack or just the Tube 60 combo I mentioned originally be too great? As far as I know, stacks tend to be a lot more powerful, but are they "better", tone-wise and such too?

Also, you mentioned DSP, I'd never quite looked into them. I still don't really get what it does, are they responsible for the signal modification that in a stack would be handled in the head? I'd still need a head and cabinet for it?

Thanks!
The Vypyr Tube is an amazing amp. The 6505+ 112... not so much. I have the head version of the Vypyr Tube, and this is honestly my favorite amp out of all the amps I've owned. GS Lead is right about it's models not really sounding like the real thing, but they still sound amazing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Rainmaker31
Wow, what an amazing response, thank you GS Lead 5!

I've checked out most of what you said, including several sound clips. I've still a couple questions though.

So far, the Vypyrs seem to be the best to fit my bill. Would the difference between getting a Vypyr stack or just the Tube 60 combo I mentioned originally be too great? As far as I know, stacks tend to be a lot more powerful, but are they "better", tone-wise and such too?

Also, you mentioned DSP, I'd never quite looked into them. I still don't really get what it does, are they responsible for the signal modification that in a stack would be handled in the head? I'd still need a head and cabinet for it?

Thanks!

Whether its a stack or not doesnt matter. The speakers used matter, and the Vypyr combos dont have very good ones. The Tube 60 is a great amp, but a used 120 with a good cabinet will really be the ultimate Vypyr rig.
And stack=/=more powerfull
Take an 18W Marshall full stack with 8 12 inch speakers, and then take a 120W Mesa Roadster 212 combo. The Mesa will be much louder.
No matter how many speakers you have, a watt is still a watt.

A DSP is essentially a chip that emulates amps/pedals etc. The Vypyr is a DSP based amp. The distortion is analogue, but everything else is controlled via a digital chip.

A DSP floorboard/rack would be basically the Vypyrs brain minus the amp itself.

A DSP floorboard -

A DSP rack unit -

Within 600 dollars, I would recommend the Vypyr 120 (used) plus a 212 cab of some sort with something like V30's. Another option would be getting the Tube 60, swapping the speaker for an Eminence Tonkerlite (Similar to V30, less trebly, very light, massive headroom) and using some planks to clost the back. Though it will be perfectly all right even without doing all that. A good cab is what the Vypyr really needs to shine though.

If you can mosey upto 1200 or so, then an Eleven Rack (about 600-700 used, sometimes less, 800 new, 200 for a Rocktron Midi mate footcontroller and about 200-250 for a 40-60W FRFR amp like a Peavey KB3 or a Tech 21 Power Engine 60) would be your best bet.

If you dont careabout effects, you can also grab a Mesa Recto or a Mark of some sort, they go for sub 1000 all day on EBay.
Some examples-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-DUAL-RECTIFIER-TREMOVERB-COMBO-GREEN-SUEDE-/150648835309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23135ecced

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-SINGLE-RECTIFIER-SOLO-HEAD-50-GUITAR-AMP-/320752357884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae5491fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-2007-Mark-IV-1x12-Combo-MINT-condition-/300597720835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd053703

As for a cabinet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-C212E-Legacy-Extension-Cabinet-/200648829305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb79a2979

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Sonic-60-212-60W-2X12-Cabinet-Vintage-30-/270813515088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0dbe4d50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHT-FRYETTE-212B-V30C-2X12-SPEAKER-CABINET-VINTAGE-30-/260850170835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbbe1bbd3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-PPC212-2x12-Guitar-Cab-Amp-Speaker-Cabinet-w-Celestion-Vintage-30s-/130573942433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e66d03ea1

Any one of these will do the trick as far as tones are considered.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 9, 2011,
^ Don't forget you'll also need a Sanpera for the Vypyr. It's a good amp on it's own, but when you throw a Sanpera in front of it so you can control all of it's functions in real time... It turns into a BEAST.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It is, unfortunately. I just got mine recently, and it was $140. They shouldn't be that expensive, but I've been watching ebay and craigs list for months now, and that's just how much they go for. Sucks, but w/e.

EDIT: I'm sure the 11R does sound better than the Vypyr, I've never played through one, but just judging from it's price I hope it would. On a budget though, if TS is trying to stay on the cheap side, the Vypyr owns.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 9, 2011,
^Either option will make him feel like a kid in a candy store for months
The best thing about modellers is that there are just so many tonal options you dont get bored for a long long long time......thats the main reaso im really reluctant to buy a proper gutar amp before getting the RP by accident I was saving up for something tube, but after using the RP for a year, and tweaking it with my KB4 for 4 months now, im kinda stuck to the sheer convenience and versatility of DSP tech. SUre the RP wont sound exactly like the amp it tries to replicate. Far from it. But is sounds pretty darn nice through a proper FRFR system so long as you tweak a little.
The reason most people dismiss DSP's as shit is cause they dont take time with it- theyre much harder to dial in than an amp. Even copying amp settings onto a model wont work. You relly need to sit and poke and prod to get any DSP to work. Even the Axe Fx users in the DSP thread say the same thing- you can make the Axe sound orgasmic, and if you dont know what your doing you can make it sound worse than a spider
Yeah. I seriously haven't touched my 5150 in months. My Vypyr is just so much damn fun! I hadn't had actual "fun" playing guitar for almost a year, until I got my Vypyr. Then it was just like, all the joy of playing guitar rushed back. I've learned over all the different gear I've owned that I'm more of an amp tweaker/collector than a guitar player

EDIT: Very true about the functionality... What I can do in 3 channels on my Vypyr, would take me 3 different amps with completely separate pedalboards for each with real amps. Sure I would love to do that, and yes it would sound better, probably a lot better. But That would probably cost me close to $5000, and I got my Vypyr head for $330. So there's definitely a justifiable reason there. And it's just so great... having all that functionality right at your fingertips. I feel confident jamming with anyone, with any band now, because I know no matter what kind of music I'm playing, my Vypyr can churn out a good tone for it.

I should be getting payed for this, haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 9, 2011,
My M-200 is Agathis w/ a flamed maple veneer, and maple neck. My H-301 is mahogany with a flamed maple top, and (I believe) a mahogany neck. It might have a maple neck. It's an old model, so I can't find exact specs on it, just very similar models.

There's really no way I can fairly compare them. My H has an EMG 81/60 setup, and my M has an EMG H2B/H2N setup. The M is basically my backup guitar. I hate using it, because I hate the way the neck feels (The M has an Xtra Thin U, vs my H which has a Thin U). But it's still the second best guitar I have.

Sonically, the H absolutely destroys it. But that's to be assumed considering the pickups lol. I like the H a lot more acoustically as well though. It sounds very full and rich, while the M sounds very jangly and hollow. I think that's because it has a Floyd Rose in it though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^Ive noticed my H51 (agathis) sounds mUCH darker than my MH (basswood, same everything else exce[t bridge).

I use my H for drop A with 14's. Its my main rhythm instrument, while i use my MH (E standard) for lead playing. The MH has a tight bright ish chunk, whereas the H is very dark with a lot of bass. Overdoing the bass on the RP leads to a lot of flub. Think changing pots for something with a higher K will help?
BTw does yout H feel lighter to bend than the M?
No, the H is definitely the heaviest guitar I own. Makes sense since it's mahogany. Whenever I look at it, I always think, this is what a Les Paul would be if a Les Paul was a superstrat. XD

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i pretty much agree with most of the guys in this thread

the vypyr 60 is the way to go

more versatile - tons of tones - good tone at all volumes

they can be a bit flaky. most of the issues i've heard of can be fixed with a online upgrade

not sure how Celestion Vintage 30s would sound with it - my stock speaker is fine

head/cab vypyr 120 may be a better way to go due to closed back

ps; i really liek the 6505 112 combo ffiw

double box the amp and use that 1" styrofoam up to 3 thick to give support. use correct freight tape or you will have to retape the whole frickin thing at check in. make sure you claim as used - get rid of the vypyr box
Quote by Offworld92
No, the H is definitely the heaviest guitar I own. Makes sense since it's mahogany. Whenever I look at it, I always think, this is what a Les Paul would be if a Les Paul was a superstrat. XD

Na I meant bending the strings
I've been a Vypyr user for a little over a year now. It completely killed my amp and stompbox GAS.

I have a Vypyr Tube 60 and Sanpera II. I actually coverted the Tube 60 into a head and built a vertical 2x12 cab.

This amps sounds awesome at super low volumes and cranked way up. It doesn't have an FX loop but that's a great thing for me, because I had upwards of 20 pedals at one point (going backwards: Mesa Boogie Mark V, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer, Orange Thunderverb, Traynor YCV50 Blue). Now I only use the onboard effects. The only pedal I use is a Planet Waves tuner.

Get the Vypyr.
Wow, you guys are awesome. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Vypyr, still unsure about the stack/combo deal though.

I still have one question though. It's clear the Vypyrs are awesome for their capabilities of doing a lot different things with effects and such. But as good as they might be, they won't be as good as an actual dedicated stompbox for that effect right?

So say (just for the sake of argument) in like ~2 years I have all my effects covered by individual stompboxes, will the Vypyr (both the head or the combo) be good for doing just the actual amplification? Or would it be very outclassed?

@311ZOSOVHJH
Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity though, why should I declare it as used? Wouldn't that actually give them more room for excuses should they screw up?

Thanks!

PS: How do I multi-quote? =P
I don't really use the effects on my Vypyr but sound pretty good to my ears.

Those that do use the effects on the Vypyr a lot really swear by them as being above average.

I've ran a few pedals (Delay) into the Vypyr front end and it sounded fine.

Generally, individual stomp boxes and a pure tube amp are preferred by lots of people. I have that set up as well. If you out-grow the Vypyr just sell it.

You'll have to do some more research for your country and make your own decisions on how to ship it. I'm just saying that once you try to cross customs you will get hit with taxes and tariffs that will undoubtedly be much higher if the item is 'new' vs used.

To multi-quote the easiest thing to do is just open two browsers and use one to copy and one to paste. Otherwise, you just copy/paste and use the Back button. I'm not sure of an easier way.
I've owned a 6505 120W head, and now I own the Vypyr 60 tube combo with a 1X12 in it.

They are both very good amps. For what you're looking for, get the Vypyr. 60 watts should be enough to play with a band, or play out. I believe the Vypyr also has a line out, so you could run it into a 4X12 if you're dealing with projection issues, or want a different tone.

The 6505 channel on the Vypyr sounds good, but not nearly as dynamic as the real thing. I generally use the Recto channel for my overdrive and the fender twin for my cleans.

The Sanpera pedal is a must. I have the sanpera 1, but wish I had gone for the 2. All in all, they're both great amps. I can't speak on the head version of the Vypyr.

As for taking it back to Brazil, just make sure it's boxed well, has a fragile tag on it and purchase some form of insurance as a precaution.

God luck in your amplifier quest, I hope I helped in some small way.
I just read in a review that the Vypyr "Tube" 60 is actually a hybrid. Is this right?

EDIT: Apparently it is. I keep hearing "go for tube", especially with my genres. Will this make much of a difference?
Last edited by Rainmaker31 at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by Rainmaker31
I just read in a review that the Vypyr "Tube" 60 is actually a hybrid. Is this right?

Yes it is. One of the few "true" hybrids, IMO. Unlike something like the Vox VT's, the Vypyr has a true full tube power amp section. It's very noticeable apart from the SS Vypyrs (I own both kinds).

As for your pedal question, I don't recommend using pedals with the Vypyr. To get the most out of your pedals, you're going to want an amp with an FX loop, and without any digital modeling going on.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 11, 2011,
as much as i love my 6505 i'd say go with the vyper, especially if your access to gear is minimal. the 6505 is really great but it needs an od and a gate to reach its full potential. the vyper has every effect you'll likely ever need built in. highly recommend getting some sort foot controller for it too.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby