Doing a build right now off a cheap basswood LTD body I scored off ebay. It was originally a 24 fret neck guitar, but will a 22 fret neck fit it? Reason asking is that I've found a good online deal on a 22 fret neck for this guitar. The guitar is 25.5" scale and so is the 22 fret neck, and it seems that it will fit the neck pocket just fine. So my question: Will it work?? Or should I just look for a proper fitting 24 fret neck?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
it really comes down to if you need those two extra high notes
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
It wont work - you'd need a 24 fret neck. The extra two frets on the neck means the neck is longer, which means there is less wood between the neck and the bridge. Put a 22 fret neck on there and you no longer have a 25.5" scale length, or the concept of intonation.
Where's Waldo?
That's impossible for us to tell as we don't have access to it. For instance, where are the extra two frets? Do they 'hang' off the end? If so, the neck may fit perfectly and the fretboard is just extended. If not, you'd need to move the bridge forward or your intonation will be way out of whack.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
You'd need to move the bridge forward or your intonation will be way out of whack.

If he was putting a 22 with no hangover on a guitar made for 24, wouldn't he have to move the bridge back, as in away from the neck?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
If he was putting a 22 with no hangover on a guitar made for 24, wouldn't he have to move the bridge back, as in away from the neck?

Yep. I was thinking he had a 22 fret guitar.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Ah. Thanks for clearing this up. Guess I gotta pass up the deal now. haha.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT