So I bought an entry level fender at a great discount. About a month ago I asked advice on tone and got some good input from a nice gal on here (sorry forgot your name) about adding silk and steel stings. GREAT ADVICE!!! like the tone and how it removed the brightness....

SO NEXT QUESTION.... Would an upgrade to the tusq bridge pins for under 20 bucks be worth the change??? will it add sustain? is it worth it? or should I save my money?

I am inexperienced with acoustics so I would LOVE everyones input!!!!
Everyone seems to have a different idea on whether or not better bridge pins are going to add anything to your tone. As well, some people hear a difference and some don't. You're going to run into a lot of different opinions on this.

Not even bringing tone into the question... good bridge pins will last you longer than a set of cheap plastic ones. Anyone who has used a set for a long amount of time knows aht they will eventually start to wear away, and the slots will start to flair out. In my opinion this can cause some issues with tuning down the road, as the ball end won't be seated as properly as it should.

At least thats how it seems to make sense in my head.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by jsspang
So I bought an entry level fender at a great discount. About a month ago I asked advice on tone and got some good input from a nice gal on here (sorry forgot your name) about adding silk and steel stings. GREAT ADVICE!!! like the tone and how it removed the brightness....
Silk and steel strings have a fairly short service life, as it doesn't take long for the frets to cut through the wrapping.

Elixir produces a string line called "Polyweb", which are intended to have a mellow, broken in kind of sound: http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_acoustic.html

I've read quite a few "bad reviews" of this product, claiming dull, not bright enough, etc. However, one mans meat is another man's poison, and these might have a mellow sound, pleasing to you. They would certainly wear better than silk and steel. And if they are a just touch brighter, it probably couldn't hurt so much.

Mis-fretting is a source of perceived brightness, as an incompletely fretted string can put up an awful amount of brittle noise. Coupled with a really bright guitar, nasty business. (I don't know your experience level, which is why I included that last observation)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 10, 2011,