Im currently in my "Everything is wrong with my tone" phase and I was wondering if I could get any help?

Im looking for a nice heavy guitar sound that can switch to lead playing and rthym without hassle or changing anything. Im into bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, Distrubed. Some Guitarist tones I really like are Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Pectruci, Eddie Van Halen, Synyster Gates, Alexi Laiho, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Nuno Bettencourt, and so on like that.

I've been told a Boss OD-1 would be a good choice but I also like a chorus effect blended in. Im currently using a Zoom G1 through an Ibanez TBX150R. I can't get any good patchs really out of the pedal. The amp is pretty good, I heard a few people play it at the store and had the store clerk play it before it was bought, so no upgrading amps anytime soon, plus budget doesn't allow for a Tube atm.

Any suggestions?

Sound Clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iusiKLJQUM
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Sep 8, 2011,
Generally if everything is wrong with your tone, it's time to get a new amp. And it sounds like everyone except you tried that amp before you bought it.
I tried it before I bought it. It played pretty good, I like the tones I could get from it but Im having trouble getting my Zoom G1 to play a good patch through it and it doesnt seem to matter much on what I do, So I was wondering if I should upgrade my pedal? And actually get some pedals and not the multi-effect one
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
i know it's not what you want to hear, but i'm guessing the amp's the problem
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i know it's not what you want to hear, but i'm guessing the amp's the problem

I dont think so :\ The amp is perfect in my opinion, I seen people get some amazing tones from i too. But they are also using some good effect pedals and not a cheap out-dated multi-effects one
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
well it's either the amp or your playing then, take your pick. fwiw, I still say it's the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's a sound clip, I hope that may help a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iusiKLJQUM

And please excuse the bad/random playing. I was trying to play abit of everything on the fretboard to help you guys in your opinion a little more.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Sounds like a SS metal tone.

We can do this the easy way.
It's your amp. Change it.

We can also do this the hard way.
Change your guitar, change your multiFX.

But before that, change your amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Ghold125
Well whats your budget?

About 100-150 bucks.

I was told a Boss DS-1 will help alot and theres one at a Music Go Round by me used for 30 bucks. I was also told a 7 or 10 band EQ would be good too. The chorus idk about yet, if my distrotion is the only problem then I guess I can put the Drive on my Zoom on Bypass and use the delay and chorus on the Zoom pedal
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by ragingkitty
Sounds like a SS metal tone.

We can do this the easy way.
It's your amp. Change it.

We can also do this the hard way.
Change your guitar, change your multiFX.

But before that, change your amp.

Well I heard the Bugera 6262 is good but, I don't have that much cash. I could sell my current amp to a store but I only see it getting 100 maybe being I orginally got it for 400. so that makes me about $350 short, and I dont see myself getting 350 more dollars anytime in the next year I can spend on myself freely.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
that actually sounded not bad for ss

the big problem with buying pedals is that they probably won't solve your problem, but will eat into your amp budget so it'll take you even longer to save for a decent amp.

that's kinda what we're trying to prevent you from doing.

i mean, it's your money and your call, but you asked for advice, so...

of course it depends on how long it'd take you to save up for a better amp. but don't assume that pedals will definitely help, because they might not. the person who told you a ds1 would help maybe just wanted to sell you a ds1.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't get a DS-1, they're usable, but not great. Won't fix your problem. Haven't tried modding mine yet, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
that actually sounded not bad for ss

the big problem with buying pedals is that they probably won't solve your problem, but will eat into your amp budget so it'll take you even longer to save for a decent amp.

that's kinda what we're trying to prevent you from doing.

i mean, it's your money and your call, but you asked for advice, so...

of course it depends on how long it'd take you to save up for a better amp. but don't assume that pedals will definitely help, because they might not. the person who told you a ds1 would help maybe just wanted to sell you a ds1.

Its a good SS like I said, not great but its good. And my friend told me about getting a DS-1 and he's not going to sell his, He has a Marshall Haze Tube Combo, I believe its like a 40w or something, but he runs his Schecter Synyster Gates Custom into a Boss DS-1 and then into his Marshall and he gets an amazing tone.

Would a Multi-FX like my Zoom G1 run good into a Tube Amp? Would it change the tone that drastically? If so should I save up for a Tube amp? If so any suggestions? I would like to Record/Gig with it eventaully. I heard Bugera, Peavy, and Marshalls are good Tube amps.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
i would try to save up for a tube amp, as long as it doesn't take you 5 years or something daft like that.

bear in mind the ds1 will probably sound better into your friend's tube amp than into your ss amp. you can use dirt pedals to "boost" tube amps, so not all the sound is coming from the pedal, a lot of it might be from the pedal pushing the amp harder. That doesn't really work with ss amps.

for those type of tones, apart from maybe petrucci and a7x, i'd be looking for hot rod marshally tones. On a budget (you're in the USA?), something like a traynor ycv50b or one of the jet cities (haven't tried) might work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Where are you getting your distortion - the amp or the multi-FX?
If it's the multi-FX, make sure you are playing through the amps clean channel.
If you are using the amps gain, make sure you bypass the zoom's distortion/OD.
Quote by 667
Where are you getting your distortion - the amp or the multi-FX?
If it's the multi-FX, make sure you are playing through the amps clean channel.
If you are using the amps gain, make sure you bypass the zoom's distortion/OD.

Im using the Zoom G1's distrotion and i am on the clean channel. Just sounds horrible
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90