Hey, i play a lot of metal, it ranges genre's and recently got a schecter with a floyd rose. the schecter sounds great but the FR bothers me when it comes to tuning, so i was looking for a cheap guitar to take over on other tunings. so does anybody have one or could possibly give me some advice? also was wondering what kind of DMT pickups they have? thanks for reading this
ANY guitar is good enough for ANY kind of music.. It completely depends on what you decide to use it for... So yes, it would be good for metal..

The pups in the MLX are Zebra's from what I remember, just google it to be sure though..

Quote by Zeppelin Addict
ANY guitar is good enough for ANY kind of music.. It completely depends on what you decide to use it for... So yes, it would be good for metal..

The pups in the MLX are Zebra's from what I remember, just google it to be sure though..

Ever seen one of these used in a melodic death metal band?

What a bullshit statement.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
They really aren't that good, not really made of wood also lol. The neck is really nice though
I own an MLX, and most people around here hate the living HELL out of Deans, but I thought it was a pretty good guitar when I got it(6 months into playing), and I still think it's an okay guitar for the $400 I paid for it. I've moved on to a Schecter I paid twice the price for, and I generally stick to that now, but my MLX is my alternate tunings guitar, and I find it to be a very comfortable guitar.

The pickups are a little tinny, but they can be replaced, I put some DiMarzios in mine and now it rips, in my opinion it sounds just as good as my $800, EMG-equipped(bleah) Schecter. I have the '07 model, which had Dean Zebras in it, not DMT pickups, but I can only assume they're the same thing.

It'll do just fine for metal if you're just starting out and just want something to take different tunings(I might add the Grover tuners are very nice, I tuned my ML maybe every 2 weeks?). My only complaints are the pickups, the input jack wasn't soldered very well(though for a guitar that's $400 CDN new, the craftsmanship's not gonna be top-notch anyways) and the neck joint's a little large so passing the 17th fret's not very comfortable, but...it'll do what you want, and frankly I don't think the Epiphones in the price range are much better at all.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Eppicurt

I have seen a hollow body used in death metal, it can be done. Any instrument can play any genera, the genre is in your fingers, the tone is in your gear.

I've also seen Jackson Soloists used as Jazz and blues guitars. Pickups can make the biggest difference in achieving that perfect tone.
Quote by Eppicurt

I see no reason not to rock Wintersun on that beauty.
Quote by Eppicurt

Not "melodic death metal", but in metalcore I have. Pickups or amp can make just about any guitar or every guitar into whatever genre the player is going for.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdO0zmQynE

umad?
usomad
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

anyone who uses a guitar like that for death metal is just looking for attention

its like, lol..im different guys.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
simple answer.

witchcraft.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by DimebagZappa
Pepper keenan uses one. Im not sure what genre Down is, but its metal.

pepper gets some heavy tone out of that too. down is my favorite band, by quite a long shot. he has a strat with an odd pickup combination (i am trying to figure it out, i feel like messing with my strat).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Since most here hijacked this thread, I will stay on topic.

Deans do have some nice tone, I really am not a fan of them since their QC sucks like a 5 dollar hooker. What is your budget and what amp do you have?

Also would you go used?
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
Since most here hijacked this thread, I will stay on topic.

Deans do have some nice tone, I really am not a fan of them since their QC sucks like a 5 dollar hooker. What is your budget and what amp do you have?

Also would you go used?

How are the Dave Mustaine Siggys?
i think the MLX is nice if you find one with a nice neck on it, as in good fretwork and such, no dead spots, things like that. Also, change out the pickups. They are kinda low output for most metal . It would be nice besides those
right now im using a peavey rage 158 because, but i use a digitech rp 155(which i hate) through it. im hoping to get a good distortion pedal soon. and i was think maybe a set of Seymour duncan SH-6 metal masters or maybe a invader and a dimebucker which would be a little pricey but you can get used parts off the internet fairly cheap. and i dont mind going used at all.
avoid the dimebucker. Used to have one, didn't like it and sold it. Most people will prolly put down the invader too. I hate to be that guy, but i also had the Rage 158. Not really a metal amp and a distortion pedal isn't gonna help all that much honestly
i agree with you, i tried running my friends distortion pedal through it and it didnt sound good at all, so im in search of a new amp, but w.e lol, just need to redo my gear
Well Emil Werstler used to use a PRS semi hollow so yes. You can use any guitar you want. No choice is wrong, some just aren't ideal. I'm sure the dean is fine, but you might want to try one before you have yourself dead set on it. The dean I used to have had a very distinct neck profile that was very different from any of my other guitars. The quality on it though was pretty much on par with most other guitars in it's price range.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.