Not a good thread, sorry.

If you can, can you tell me what model each of these Les Pauls are and what their finishes are? Thanks. I know the second one doesn't give much to work with...
Gear
*new*Schecter: Hellraiser C-1FR
Marshall: VS100
Jim Dunlop: Cry Baby-95Q
Boss: DS-1
Boss: SD-1
Vox: VT100
Sears: Silvertone
Samick: Black Greg Bennett Design Torino
Danelectro: Black Licorice
Marshall: MG15
Eleca: EAG-6
Gibson: Banjo
Last edited by huntzifier at Sep 7, 2011,
They both don't give too much to work with. If you can get pics of the headstock it would help.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Not going to be able to tell much from either picture. They aren't Studios. That's about all I can say..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Judging by the unfigured wood, what I think is the nanoMag acoustic pickup after the 22nd fret, and the knobs, I think the top picture is an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. The bottom could be like anything...
Well I got the pictures from http://www.lespaulguide.com/what-makes-it-unique.php ...saw them and all I know about them is that I like them.

I *think* they're both standards but I'd like to know what the finishes are called.
Gear
Last edited by huntzifier at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by sghunter182
Judging by the unfigured wood, what I think is the nanoMag acoustic pickup after the 22nd fret, and the knobs, I think the top picture is an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. The bottom could be like anything...

I don't see a pickup there. Just the binding on the neck and the pickup ring. Isn't the pickup used on those black?
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I don't think these can be identified just from these pictures... why did you want to identify them?
---
Quote by sghunter182

Thinking the same thing. Though I can't tell if that's the Piezo pickup in the neck or just the binding around the heel. Too dark to tell.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by Robfreitag
I don't think these can be identified just from these pictures... why did you want to identify them?

Thinking about getting a Les Paul in the future. I honestly don't care too much for the standard Jimmy Page sunburst look, I like the way these ones are.
Gear
they both look like Gibson les paul standards. Hard to say what the finish is, sunbursts look different under different light and different angles. I would say it's a honeyburst though.

Top one looks like a slightly older standard. Gold speed knobs, plain top, reminds me of the ones that they were making in the '90s and early '00s.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by huntzifier
Thinking about getting a Les Paul in the future. I honestly don't care too much for the standard Jimmy Page sunburst look, I like the way these ones are.

The bottom one is probably the Jimmy Page sunburst look. Top one looks like it might be teaburst.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
They're Gibsons

Seriously, they look like Antique or Faded CSB Standards, absent any other details.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The first one is any plain top Les Paul with a tobacco burst finish. Probably a faded, aged or worn style finish. Maybe a legit old one.

The second one could be anything but that's an angle that is on the Epiphone website a lot and that figuring isn't particularly special so I would guess it's an Epi. It could be any standard burst color.

In fact if you look at the bridge posts you can see they both have the wider post holes of import guitars, so they're both Epiphones or some other Asian-made LP copy.
tobacco sunburst on a 2 piece plain top on the first. probably early 90s, they were doing 3 piece tops from the norlin era until the very late 80s or early 90s. nashville build.

the second is a plus top, the portion you can see is trans amber. it could burst to another color. the bridge almost looks like an epi from the size of the posts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 8, 2011,
I think I've figured out the second one...it's probably a Standard classic premium plus with a flamed amber top. Still not positive on the first one.
Gear
Quote by huntzifier
I think I've figured out the second one...it's probably a Standard classic premium plus with a flamed amber top. Still not positive on the first one.

why don't you think it's a tobacco sunburst?

the amount around the edge of the guitar varied over the years and between the custom and USA shops.

i'm curious what you see that leads you to believe it isn't tobacco. great lighting in that pic too.

Quote by gregs1020

the amount around the edge of the guitar varied over the years and between the custom and USA shops.

i'm curious what you see that leads you to believe it isn't tobacco. great lighting in that pic too.

I guess you're right. It's just when I think "Tobacco burst" I think of something completely different. But the first guitar did pop up a few times when I google images for "tobacco burst les paul."

Problem solved?

What about THIS one?

The site that the picture is on claims it's a sunburst, but is it really?
Gear
Last edited by huntzifier at Sep 8, 2011,
That's a very sunburst, but it is a sunburst. You can see the slight change in tone around the edges.

Nitro finishes fade and yellow over time. Original sunburst Les Pauls with pickguards are famous for this discolouring, where the finish under the pickguard is still bright red but the rest has faded off.
Quote by huntzifier
I guess you're right. It's just when I think "Tobacco burst" I think of something completely different. But the first guitar did pop up a few times when I google images for "tobacco burst les paul."

Problem solved?

What about THIS one?

The site that the picture is on claims it's a sunburst, but is it really?

it looks like a nicely faded sunburst.

and i didn't know there was a "problem". i was asking you a question as to why you didn't think it was a tobacco sunburst. surely there was a reason and you did answer that in your post.

also, some cherry sunbursts faded to a tobacco look, some faded to a honey or lighter color.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020

I've always thought of tobacco sunburst as the Duane Allman les paul color where the burst goes to black on the edges. It's hard to see what the true color of the guitar is in the picture, it's too dark.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by al112987
I've always thought of tobacco sunburst as the Duane Allman les paul color where the burst goes to black on the edges. It's hard to see what the true color of the guitar is in the picture, it's too dark.

it could be a faded cherry sunburst. but you're right, the lighting is tough in the pic.

here's a 1958 cherry sunburst LP Standard which faded dark. we were allowed to remove the pick guard and could see the red under it. i should have snapped a pic of that.

for grins, notice that it's a one piece top. i'm told only two had one piece tops. the neck was not thick, at all.
yeah the red aniline dye breaks down when exposed to uv and other chemical stressors. i like that color, i've always considered that a honeyburst. gibson only made tobacco sunbursts and cherry sunbursts back then anyway (as far as sunbursts go) and I think all the sunbursts now are mainly variations of how the cherry sunbursts changed over time.