I would like to know what simple modifications I can do to add more distortion/gain to my solid state amp.
I have looked around and the easiest thing it seems to do is to change the clipping diode pair in the overdrive stage.
But how would I get the most distortion by modifying these diodes?
Would doubling them or using red LEDs give me more or less distortion?
Cusp of Magic
you could:
change the resistors going into the base of the preamp transistor, so that it's a higher amplification factor, the following diodes will clip harder and thus more distortion, try changing the resistors for potentiometers and adjust them until you find a sweet spot..

you can also change the diodes with a lower threshold.. but this will change your sound.. a whole lot

you could build a prepreamp and add it to the signal path (might create extra noise)
the circuit is easy to build:
http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/lpb1/LPB1.gif
ignore the box, and put it inside the amp for extra shielding

higher voltage? will be more expensive.. you need to get another transformer, and mod lots and lots of stuff

hope it helps
Opus Pocus =]
I would build the LPB-1.. it's easy and you could even use it as a solo boost

edit:
I forgot to mention, the LED's will change how the distortion sounds, it will sound brittle compared to standard silicone diodes

and putting them in series might make the clipping harder, but I doubt it unless the voltage is high enough
Opus Pocus =]
Last edited by josuetijuana at Sep 7, 2011,
Ususally changing out the OP amp would help with a better gain. Changing the clipping diodes can only do so much. I changed mine to vintage germanium diodes, and while it did smooth the gain out, and made it sound warmer, it didn't give it more, or any less gain.

The problem with driving the preamp harder is transistor clipping, which sounds awful. It's not like a tube amp, where the clipping actually sounds good. You don't want the preamp transistors, or even the output transistor clipping, it'll add alot of muddiness and lack of warmth to a highly distorted tone.
Can you just use a boost/preamp?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Can you just use a boost/preamp?

I agree >.<

if he really just wants more distortion maybe this is what he needs:

Opus Pocus =]
Trust me, I have all the distortion I need from my Zoom G2 pedal.
I just want the amp's stock distortion to be better in situations where I don't want to use my pedal, or carry it around and such.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Trust me, I have all the distortion I need from my Zoom G2 pedal.
I just want the amp's stock distortion to be better in situations where I don't want to use my pedal, or carry it around and such.

Read my post, you'll have to change the OP amp chip for a better gain. I've been doing alot of work to my Cheap SS amp, and I didn't replace the OP amp, cause it already wasent half bad, but you can look over my thread on it and see for yourself.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474443
it's a lot of work and it's not worth it, just use your stompbox
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E