So I know a thing or two about working on guitars; I have an accoustic guitar that i've been playing for a little bit.

The strings were always a bit high off the neck toward the bridge end, but recently they've seemed to be getting further off. I checked the neck, and sure enough, it was bowed forward. I detuned the strings, and it still was. Over the last few days, I've been tightening the truss rod 1/4 turn at a time (This is a hand-built guitar, I'm not sure if it's ready for some abuse like 1/2 turn at a time).

After many days of settling, the neck is actually bowed back, but when I tension the strings the pressure from them bends it back to a little bit more forward then straight. I mean, as far as the strings being high toward the bridge, I could just lower the bridge, but something just doesn't seem right about this situation. I'm probably just going to go in and get a professional look at this guitar before I go any further, I'm just wondering if there's anything that I'm overlooking?
do you have a working (ie tested) hygrometer so that you know the humidity in the room where your guitar is kept?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
When you adjust the truss rod keep the strings in the tuning you normally use. Don't detune the strings.
And I'm telling you don't adjust the truss rod to lower the action. Adjust the truss rod to straigten the neck. If you want to lower the action sand down the saddle. It ain't hard. Just pull out the saddle and sand that mother scratcher down.
Quote by patticake
do you have a working (ie tested) hygrometer so that you know the humidity in the room where your guitar is kept?

I'm at 60% all the time.

Quote by sunliteacoustic
When you adjust the truss rod keep the strings in the tuning you normally use. Don't detune the strings.

The neck was heavily bent when I started adjusting; the strings would have kept the neck from bending back because they are a small piece of the source.

Quote by sunliteacoustic
And I'm telling you don't adjust the truss rod to lower the action. Adjust the truss rod to straigten the neck. If you want to lower the action sand down the saddle. It ain't hard. Just pull out the saddle and sand that mother scratcher down.

Just because I have a low post count does not mean I'm a complete n00b. My neck was bent. A lot. I noticed the bend because the strings were extremely high above the high frets. I don't like it, but the thing is, as I said, the neck is bowed back, but the strings have so much tension that that backward bow turns into a forward bow when they are retuned. I think I did mention that I will have to get the bridge lowered, and I will...I'm just thrown about the strings having so much tension. The strings on my electric don't feel anywhere near as tight when they are in tune (no, I am not an octave above what I should be at, my strings are old they would have broken if I did that).

I've given the neck a really long time to settle in between tightenings, yet the truss rod is getting tighter and tighter. I think it's almost maxed out, so I'm sort of afraid to keep going on it, I think I'm going to have to just bring this one in...not to mention, the wood shop I've worked in is about 1000 miles away so I really don't have the resources to lower the bridge myself either.