Okay so I'm not sure how many audiophiles there are in the Pit, but I figured this might be good place to ask.

So I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones because I'm quite sick of using iPod stock earbuds and convincing myself I'm satisfied with them. I found a few options, but my concern is the issue of amping, because every pair I've found is apparently quite weak without amplification of some kind., and I don't plan on using one. It'd only be for iPod and laptop usage.

I was considering Grado SR80, and comparable Sennheiser models, but again, the amp is an issue. My price range is not much greater than 100-125 dollars. Anyone have any suggestions/advice?
Sennheiser HD280's are kickass and have a flat frequency response and are very clear, but the bass is a tiny bit lacking, though EQ can fix that. They just don't rattle your skull like every other headphone is designed to do
Yea I forgot to mention that bass was a pretty important factor, though I suppose it's not a deal breaker as long as there is SOME bass. Also, I listen to Metal, Post-hardcore, etc if that helps.
Quote by RPGoof
Sennheiser HD280's are kickass and have a flat frequency response and are very clear, but the bass is a tiny bit lacking, though EQ can fix that. They just don't rattle your skull like every other headphone is designed to do

Came in here to recommend the same pair. Love mine. I use them with a FiiO E5 headphone amp and a FiiO L3 LOD cable for my iPod and it sounds much better than the headphone jack with longer battery life. The bass boost on the E5 is pretty weak compared to most, but it perfectly compliments the HD280s slightly weak bass. You can get all three together on Amazon for a total of around $110.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Last edited by rjdusa at Sep 8, 2011,
klipsch s4. That is all.
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
Quote by rjdusa
Came in here to recommend the same pair. Love mine. I use them with a FiiO E5 headphone amp and a FiiO L3 LOD cable for my iPod and it sounds much better than the headphone jack with longer battery life. The bass boost on the E5 is pretty weak compared to most, but it perfectly compliments the HD280s slightly weak bass. You can get all three together on Amazon for a total of around $110.

All 3 for only that much? That'd be ideal, researching...

EDIT: Is buying them used a good idea? :O
Last edited by dbzmaniac1000 at Sep 8, 2011,
Sennheisers used? I would trust them. The parts are user-replacable and they're built like a tank, so as long as they are operational and everything seems to be together I'd definitely give them a shot.
Alright well seems like this is gonna be a good choice for me, thanks for the help guys!
Quote by Butt Rayge
I hate audiophiles.

This, and also...

Quote by dbzmaniac1000
100-125 dollars.

...You're dumb.
Quote by Mudmen190
This, and also...

...You're dumb.

I never said I was an audiophile, or wanted real audiophile quality headphones. :P I'm not interested in shelling out like 800 dollars for something recreational.
Quote by limegut
klipsch s4. That is all.

I second this notion. I have the s2's which are like $30 cheaper and they still rock as far as earbuds go. The s4's are most likely a ton better.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Earbuds always seemed unappealing to me, maybe because I've always used the same iPod ones and they suck so badly.

Also, after looking at the AD700s, I think I changed my mind. They seem pretty sick, despite how they look.
Last edited by dbzmaniac1000 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by dbzmaniac1000
Earbuds always seemed unappealing to me, maybe because I've always used the same iPod ones and they suck so badly.

Also, after looking at the AD700s, I think I changed my mind. They seem pretty sick, despite how they look.

dude, they're awesome. And take that back, they look awesome too
Quote by dbzmaniac1000

Yeah, iPod buds are ass, hell Skullcandy is better, but that's sacrilegious to mention that here
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I love my Grado SRs, and I have the 60. So clear that I have to take them off sometimes to hear what was on the tape, and what is just traffic. By far the crispest I've ever owned.