So I need a program that let's me import backing tracks (preferably in mp3 format, not like midi/gtp files.) and then just record my guitar playing over it. I want to just play stuff over a bunch of different blues and rock backing tracks. I've been improvising a lot of ideas and am ready to start actually recording them into full guitar tracks over the backings. I have that guitar link cable (I believe Aslesis makes it?) the one that's 1/4" on one end and USB on the other, and the program needs to be for Windows (7, 64-bit if it matters). Preferably free, but open to all suggestions. Again, only features that are a must are the ability to import backing tracks (multiple ones for layers would be cool) so I can record my guitar work over them. Also need to be able to save/export so I can put the recordings on iPod/CDs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Last edited by Agent51 at Sep 8, 2011,
So basically you're asking for any basic recording program? Geez, I wonder where you could find one of them *cough*google*cough*
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
You're probably looking for:
1.Audacity
2.Reaper
3.Some other free software I don't know of or don't like.

Btw, if you search google you, above mentioned are among the top results.
I know how to FIND the different softwares (Google obviously)....the point was getting recommendations from users on the best ones or most user-friendly, etc. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.

Also, I have a Digitech RP500, would it be best to use the amp modeling on that for different tones (run guitar into that, then that into computer) or should I try a modeling software like Amplitube, and if so, how would I use that type of software with the recording program?
Quote by Agent51
Also, I have a Digitech RP500, would it be best to use the amp modeling on that for different tones (run guitar into that, then that into computer) or should I try a modeling software like Amplitube, and if so, how would I use that type of software with the recording program?

Stuff like Guitar Rig and other similar software runs as a plug-in within the recording program you are using.
Simple explanation: you have your audio track that your guitars will be on. you add an effect plug-in, which is your guitar modeling software.
Using sounds on your board might be easier compared to plugins.
However you can get relatively better tones with some plugins like amplitube, poulin, revalver etc.