Don't know if this is the correct section since I'm a noob and all so...

What should I practice on? I want to learn how to play acoustic rock(mainly) and perhaps (though unlikely) electric. Do I do scales, or try to learn how to play a song and memorize the chords. I'll be looking around the forums tomorrow to find threads to improve my playing since it's late at night and I want to see some feedback if possible... I really want to work on my rhythm pattern, chord changing, and well everything that a good guitarist should know. Whenever I try to learn how to play song I don't feel like I'm learning anything and it's hard not knowing how to practice exactly without a teacher.

I've been practicing for quite a bit for awhile now on my own and I don't' think I'm improving at all even though I do practice quite a bit. I can't even play "Save Tonight" by EEC after three weeks :[

Well thanks for reading, and I think this is a little too long for a first post o_o
learn smoke on the water, and stairway to heaven. then go to a guitar center. plug in a real nice prs guitar into a marshal. play that smoke on the water rift over and over again for four hours with the volume as loud as you can get it. when they finally cant take it anymore; walking up very slowly to you with hate in their eyes. change the guitar song instantly to that other guitar song you learned called stairway to heaven.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
There are a number of basic and advanced stuff that you must learn before going to learn songs - that will not only help you excel as a guitarist but also grow as a complete musician. There are formulas for building scales and when you know how to build scales, it's easy build chords, because chords are based on the scale degrees or the notes on the scale. If you know the scale you can easily build the 3 principal chords from that scale.

For eg if you take C Major Scale - the notes are C D E F G A B C. The 3 principal chords are built on the I IV and V scale degrees or the Tonic, Sub-Dominant and Dominant degrees of the scale. So the 3 principal chords are C Major, F Major and G Dom 7th.

Theory might sound boring but that forms the foundation of any instrumentalist or musician. So never ignore the theory. But I find theory very interesting and easily helps me in learning riffs or finding out chords from a song.
Quote by rocker222
learn smoke on the water, and stairway to heaven. then go to a guitar center. plug in a real nice prs guitar into a marshal. play that smoke on the water rift over and over again for four hours with the volume as loud as you can get it. when they finally cant take it anymore; walking up very slowly to you with hate in their eyes. change the guitar song instantly to that other guitar song you learned called stairway to heaven.

Finally someone posts reasonable advice! I would suggest grabbing one of the really nice Gibsons though. It also helps if you cover your fingers in grease and dorito powder. I learned to play pretty fast in about 3 weeks this way!
trolls warned - play nice in future.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would find some basic online lessons to get yourself started, and then I would seek out a teacher as soon as you can to start learning songs you enjoy. This will boost your interest in the instrument, and when you feel fit to start taking it to the next level, pursue Music theory so you can build an understanding of how to construct the sounds you'd like to play on guitar. (that is, if you're goal eventually is to be a songwriter)

Remember, everything I stated in the above won't happen immediately, probably not even for a few years, but the sooner you begin building a strong interest in guitar, the sooner you can start enjoying the instrument even more. Hope this helps
I know how you feel , and it's a bit frustrating at first ...
you have to start by learning the "technique" of playing the guitar , your strumming pattern , chord changes , note picking , following a rhythm , etc ...
and there is a lot of - free - online lessons on the web , just do a little " goggling " and I'm sure you will find something
and remember to train your finger , techniques and lessons are worthless without some finger strength and dexterity to back it up

start practicing , and with time , you will start to see some improvement , and with luck , you can play stairway to heaven in few months !

- sorry for my long reply -
PS : English is not my first language
I'd find a structured course or get an instructor and take the long route to knowledge. I'm using the Learn and Master guitar course that you can find off the Gibson site. You can find it here , or I think you can get it cheaper on Amazon. That will give you a solid basis and keep you busy for a year or two.

After you've been through the first 4 lessons, you can start buying books of music in the store or dig them up online. The music will make sense to you after some of the early lessons.

Then you can start looking at Youtube for one off lessons, such as how to sweep pick, or do power chords. But you should start with some lesson plan that covers the basics, IMO.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
I found that www.JustinGuitar.com is a good place to start.

There is a beginners course that guides you through learning the basic chords and theory and eventually works up to learning more complicated stuff such as scales. Best thing about it, is that it's free.
Alright man I've been there and let me tell you it's easy to get out of! Pm me and we can talk easier than on here.
Mainly I would say figure out why genre is your absolute favorite and pick your favorite song and learn the intro and if you feel like it learn the while song but a riff a week is a very good place to start so week one smoke on the water week 2 stairway to heaven week3 iron man... Etc just toss it up easy hard easy medium easy hard and re-learn them all on a monthly basis and the after you feel comfortable with your rhythm try learning the solo for don't stop believing it's super easy yet sounds killer!! Learn your power chords and major scale and pentatonic and a chord a week and if your seriously serious pick up some lessons on music theory on iTunes, YouTube, musictheory.net, guitar center, or Craigs list! Oh and watch lots of videos on YouTube by rob chappers. But like I said just pm me and we can talk!
I've learned guitar self taught by starting out with simple chords.

I learned D and A in the first week, then a G, E and Em, C (which is pretty hard when first starting out). Anyways by now you can do the rhythm to quite a lot of songs. After learning the open chords i started doing barre chords which took a few weeks to learn. At this point, though i wasnt particularily good at all the chords i learned, i at least knew how to play them.
Then i practiced and practiced and things just started to click. Soon enough i could play the rhythm to most of the songs in my itunes. (i listen to indie/alternative rock-ish stuff)

About chord changing- I dont think you should worry too much, because after lots of practice, your fingers start getting faster themselves. That being said, if you are new, learning Save Tonight can be a bit steep. (Am-C-G was hard enough back when i started,)

Oh and what do you mean by rhythm pattern. Like strumming pattern? Cause strumming just comes to you after you know a song very well.