Sorry but I'm posting a little early since I got the go ahead. Keeping the thread name generic until a name is agreed upon, then you can change it. Sticky please!

Okay, this being the first review I knew I had to open up big or risk this whole thing dying before it was even born. Metal forum, I’d like to introduce you to a friend of mine:

Necrosis (nĕ-krō′sis) noun – localized death of living tissue. Origin - late Latin, from Greek nekrōsis, from nekroun to make dead, from nekros dead body. Pretty metal, huh? Perhaps, but not near as metal as the band Necrosis (not to be confused with the pre-Cryptopsy band), though it defines their sound perfectly. Necrosis was a death metal outfit circa 1989, hailing from the bleak, frostbitten wasteland that is the New England area of the US, Warwick, Rhode Island to be specific. They released two demos (an untitled demo as well as the Crown of Thorns demo) before peaking and releasing their magnum opus, the full-length Acta Sanctorum (Acts of the Saints… look it up) in 1995. Clocking in at thirty-two minutes and thirty-one seconds, this is a blunt, no bullshit record. Filler not included. Also, interestingly enough, this album was released through Black Mark Production (of Bathory fame), being one of the only American releases. Anyways, on to the music!

Upon first hitting the play button I was expecting to hear the cliché ‘90s death metal intro. You know the one, the one minute long ambient track with the lone synthesizer playing an eerie melody or perhaps an acoustic guitar passage or the classic noise track filled with feedback aka filler. No, absolutely not. As previously stated, this is a no bullshit record. Instead I was greeted with an exceptionally groovy bassline that plays for only a couple bars when BOOM- the entire band kicks in with double bass flyin’ and the guitars chuggin’ away. It was here that I instantly made note of how tight the band was. Then came the vocals. Absolutely savage. Badorek has a typical midrange old school death metal growl though he is unique enough to pick out of a crowd. The song then goes into a mid-tempo, groovy chugfest in which Badorek growls in unison. The song continues with a riff salad type song structure and it becomes apparent that the band has a sense of groove equivalent to even the mighty Bolt Thrower and a an emphasis on rhythm akin to Suffocation (though not quite that strong). Some chaotic leads surprised me midway through the track as the rhythm guitar completely dropped leaving only another groovy bassline and a contrasting, smooth lead guitar tone. While they don’t add anything in particular to the song, they are short enough not to detract from it in anyway. Besides, the bassline is catchy as hell and I’m a sucker for solos. My only complaint is the inclusion of some weird, cheesy alien (for a lack of a better word) vocals just past the three minute mark but again, it’s only for a few seconds.

Upon first hearing of the track two (the title track) I couldn’t help but think, “Oh no! A filler track!” While Acta Sanctorum is not a metal track, it is a great little ambient piece that helps give this album character. It succeeds in its goal of atmosphere being extremely unsettling. And while there are sound effects (ominous sounding bells tolling, creepy voices, etc.) the focus remains on the band. I particularly enjoy the clean guitar passage and would love to hear an album of just this type of music. I was somewhat reminded of Negative Plane with this track.
Vacant Diocese, track three, begins with a dissonant guitar melody following some diminished scale. The entire sound continues with this theme of dissonant, eerie melodies mixed with the more rhythm based sections heard on the first track only a bit “doomier” if you will.

Buried in Baptismal Robe starts with some creepy chanting over another chug riff. Again, this song is another riff fest, not much else to say. It does however provide the perfect backdrop for Badorek to show off his vocals. Here we start to hear a little more variety in his vocals as well as a great example of vocal layering done right (I’m not usually a fan). There is also a tasty little bass fill (ala Slit Your Guts) towards the end followed by a doomy section.

Track 5, entitled Crown of Thorns, is a personal favorite of mine. It is a bit of an epic song at over eight minutes of this short album. The previous four tracks have all been building up tension and the album just lets it all out on this one track. But it can’t just explode all at once, no, it too must build up even more suspense. The track begins with an absolutely filthy death/doom riff that is slightly reminiscent of Blessed are the Sick. Some bells toll and then Badorek comes in and just f**king commands you. I can’t emphasize enough his importance to the band. While he may not be the most versatile vocalist he suits this band perfectly with his barbaric style. Anyways, the song continues changing riffs and is always slowly building up momentum until they’re going full throttle with a series of mid-tempo leaning towards fast riffs, all very memorable. A solo is also included, this one a good bit longer than the others with some harmonizing thrown in for good measure. The riffs just keep coming. Chug riffs, start-stop riffs, doom riffs, tremolo picked riffs, this song has it all. The song works its way back down and comes full circle by playing the intro riff again. This is followed by an epic outro and the ending of crushing, epic song (think Closer to a World Below epic).

Nearing the end of the album we have track six, Messiah Complex. More of the same but they do it so well! Start-stop riffs galore along with some of the fastest riffing in the album. They as always retain the groove (how many names have I said groove already?). There are also a few sections that allow the twangy bass to shine. Unfortunately there are once again some stupid voices towards the end but it is easily forgivable.

The album ends with the haunting Martyrium, the other ambient track. Again, more creepiness in the same vein with the good instrumental work and sound effects. A perfect ending for a great album.

So, all in all, this album gets an A+ from me. Thick, meaty production, all the instruments are clear and audible without sacrificing the rawness, chock full of RIFFS, all the instruments get their time to shine, and the songwriting is superb. Add Justin Badorek and you have yourself a masterpiece. My only qualms are some of the voice samples (or recordings or whatever they are) are cheesy/annoying and that’s hardly an issue. Great band, don’t let my poor critiquing skills deter you from looking into them.

September 16 - Stranglehold
September 23 - ctfod
September 30 - duncang
October 7 - AnnihiSlateR
October 14 - Nihiliste
October 21 - VampireGoldfish
October 28 - illuminatiano
November 4 - severed-metal
November 11 - dillonrips7
November 18 - Chopped_In_Half
November 25 - MoogleRancha
December 2 - progbass
Last edited by Born Headless at Sep 12, 2011,
Okay people, check the album out if you're not familiar already and let's DISCUSS. Feel free to write your own review.
Last edited by Born Headless at Sep 8, 2011,
A link or two to some of the songs would probably help a bit. I mean, I'm not retarded, and I know how to use the google, but we're lazy, you know.

I haven't got the album so I can't really discuss it. I'll check it out.

It also might help to include the title of the album somewhere closer to the top of your review.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Necrosis/Acta_Sanctorum/37041
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by Butt Rayge
A link or two to some of the songs would probably help a bit. I mean, I'm not retarded, and I know how to use the google, but we're lazy, you know.

I haven't got the album so I can't really discuss it. I'll check it out.

Okay, okay... They're even on YouTube for Christ's sake haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIADLywgnv0

Go from there.
Cool review despite overuse of the word 'chug', haha...

That's definitely worth checking out...no idea that black mark had signed an American dm band! Im a sucker for chanting and bells and such in death metal tracks, so I'll probably enjoy it. Who did that artwork? Its got a shitty endearing quality to it.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I was gonna say something similar about the artwork. Definitely something very drawing about it. Regardless, this sounds like an album I will most certainly check out. Perhaps tomorrow I'll check it in full, and comment from there. Good on ya for the review though!
Philosophy > Life
Listening now. So far not bad.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Stranglehold
Cool review despite overuse of the word 'chug', haha...

That's definitely worth checking out...no idea that black mark had signed an American dm band! Im a sucker for chanting and bells and such in death metal tracks, so I'll probably enjoy it. Who did that artwork? Its got a shitty endearing quality to it.

Haha, thanks. And yeah, I feel stupid now that you pointed that out. Not trying to make them out to be a deathcore band or something. I'll have to brush out up on my album reviewing skills, never really done much of a true review honestly. Either way, damn good band.

EDIT: Oh, and no idea about the artwork unfortunately. I did a little digging and couldn't find anything. Everyone find download links no problem? I can PM you if you're having trouble/lazy haha.
^ Not sure, this is kinda a prototype... I suppose it can operate like Metal Radio though unless someone has a problem with that. I'll add you.
Ta Bud.

Decent review, though I was once warned not to do track by track reviews, can't remember when, but it stuck with me.

I gave them a quick listen. Not really my cup of tea.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Ta Bud.

Decent review, though I was once warned not to do track by track reviews, can't remember when, but it stuck with me.

I gave them a quick listen. Not really my cup of tea.

Whys that?
This is definitely a pretty cool album. There's some awesome grooves and some cool riffs to be found on here but I don't really think it's particularly special. For every awesome riff, the album is full of little rhythmic ideas that damage the flow of songs, or uninspired chugging riffs that just seem to be there to help them move from one idea to the next. That said I only gave the record one listen and haven't given it a fair chance to sink in. It just seems to me that at this band's contemporaries were putting out much more interesting material around the same time period (like Nespithe in 93 or Psychostasia in 96).

Anyways, good review to start things off.
I'd like to do a review for one of the weeks, how do I get added to the list?

EDIT:
On the note of track by track reviews, I think in general writers try to stay away from them because they do become somewhat repetitive. Since most albums maintain a consistent sound throughout, it often becomes redundant to be like "theres some heavy chugging riffs, then some tremolo picking, with x type of scream" or whatever. Personally I feel reviews should try to describe the overall sound, point out some notable aspects of a couple tracks, and try to put the album into context. By context I mean just talking about how it fits in with albums from it's contemporaries, what it's place is within it's subgenre and time period, and ideological statement behind the album etc.
Last edited by Nihiliste at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by dillonrips7
The latter

Dunno really, but a guy who writes for magazines, and the MA review mod's said the same thing. Apparently it's just not the done thing.

I guess ones an analysis and one's a review.
Good edit Nihilbutt. I agree on track by track reviews being a little hard to get absorbed in. Nothing wrong with breaking some tracks don, but the whole of the review should be based on the musics overall picture and effect.

I am going to listen to this piece, which I have actually never heard, then come back to this thread.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Well, it's all a bit Pantera for me. The lack of depth in guitar tone doesn't help their case but all the chug riffs you're talking about seem like club-thumpers rather than anything with much bite. Ultimately, I think the focus is on that kind of thudding monotony (which, as Nihiliste says, does kind of seem like a way to get to and from the actual death metal riffs) and that becomes most obvious near the end of Messiah Complex where there's a hat blast and you hear a kit that's clearly not been engineered to compliment that kind of beat in any way. Sounds rough!

Crown Of Thorns started nicely but completely lost me with the disgustingly out-of-time riffing. Is that just lazy recording or are they trying to play syncopation with no regard for accents?

The faster riffs are alright and the doomier ones are a bit better than that but the plodding in between actually . No menace, no malice, no attitude beyond all-American angst...in fact it seems like the (admittedly decent) ambient tracks were put in to compensate for that.

It's a no from me.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncan's on crack, there's nothing resembling Pantera at all on this album. There's clearly a huge Morbid Angel influence though. I dig it, some great riffs and some very headbangable parts, some more boring parts where I lost interest. Drums sounds kinda shitty sometimes, namely the cymbals. Also don't listen to it on youtube, quality is horrific (128 kps + uploaded to youtube ? yuck). I found a decent 192kps rip though and the guitar tone is great.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Hmm, glad to see some real discussion finally! A little disappointed that my album didn't impress too many of you though but that's okay too. Next time I suppose I will try to to avoid the track by track review; I agree about it, I'm just new to giving reviews. Also, perhaps I wasn't critical enough and it's not flawless but the Pantera comparison is way out of line. If anything, I see a bit of Suffocation worship with the emphasis on rhythm and I don't have a problem with some shameless chugging if it's pulled off right like this. And YouTube quality is shit as far as tone goes. Just ask and I'll PM you a link to a FLAC download with great quality and perhaps you'll change your mind. Nihiliste, I'll add you to the list. Oh, and eagerly awaiting your response VG, I've always admired your taste and I'd love to hear your take on this album. If nothing else, surely you think it's at least "solid".

EDIT: Oh, and I remember you saying something so I went ahead and put you down on the list for reviews VG.
put me down on dat list too holmes
Quote by severed-metal
I'll have a go at writing a review.

Added.

EDIT: Added V
Quote by Born Headless

EDIT: Oh, and I remember you saying something so I went ahead and put you down on the list for reviews VG.

Power went in in all of Southern California yesterday, reading Beyond The Black River to candlelight put me in such a DOOM mood today.

Just got power back today, will listen and write.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Put me down for a review. ill probably submit way ahead of time, and just use it when needed.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Mine will be in tomorrow as planned, but may just be a few hours late.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
what are you talking about ?

ctfod's is still up, it just never got stickied... not his fault
That and I know I talked about his and Strangles a bit.

Illum, head over to hessian prog.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Oh shit

I thought they were all going to be posted in this thread.

Carry on.
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?