hey guys, i took off my LTD's neck to sand the body and im going to keep it off for a week or 2 untill my veneer comes in and i get everything settled....question is

any harm from lack of tension gonna happen of just a little backbow?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If the neck has a backbow - try to loosen the rod to have it flat. I think its no issue, but still - backbows are weird. What string gauge do you use on this guitar and in what tuning?
Depends on the neck, I would say. I once took of the neck of my bass to do the exact same thing you're going to do, but the ****er wouldn't fit right with the strings on it for at least a week afterwards. It had to settle before it was playable again...
Quote by EspTro
hey guys, i took off my LTD's neck to sand the body and im going to keep it off for a week or 2 untill my veneer comes in and i get everything settled....question is

any harm from lack of tension gonna happen of just a little backbow?

Why do you think guitar's are built with bolt-on necks?

If you take a bolt-on neck off, nothing's gonna happen to it.
Last edited by KempGuitars at Sep 8, 2011,
Necks are designed to be straight, and they usually are completely straight until the strings add tension, then the truss rod is used to straighten it. So, if you have no string tension and no truss rod tension, the neck should be straight and completely fine.
Quote by Ace Carson
If the neck has a backbow - try to loosen the rod to have it flat. I think its no issue, but still - backbows are weird. What string gauge do you use on this guitar and in what tuning?

before i took it off there were 13's but im switching to 11's after the guitar is finished
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
What tuning?

As said - the neck should be straight when no tension is applied - try loosen the rod.
Last edited by Ace Carson at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by Ace Carson
What tuning?

As said - the neck should be straight when no tension is applied - try loosen the rod.

ok as long as i have to big worries :P

btw it was in drop G# cause i just felt like fcking around.....ah the luxury of 2 guitars
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I had a neck off a bass for ten years and it stayed straight as an arrow the whole time. I put it back on recently and it didn't warp a bit from the added tension
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
alright i guess the coast is clear. truss rod adjustment not such a big deal.....
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED