Page 1 of 3
It's a zombie cat
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by AKnownHardman
How do you know in 4 hours it will probably be alive?

Because generally cats don't need feeding and watering every 4 hours.
I'm assuming the box isn't airtight, I forget that variable.

If it is airtight I give the cat about 5 minutes.
I think you are missing the point, you need to look at it theoretically as opposed to, say, physically.
Until we observe the outcome, the cat is said to be both alive and dead, and it only becomes one or the other when we observe the outcome.
I think you are missing the point, you need to look at it theoretically as opposed to, say, physically.
Until we observe the outcome, the cat is said to be both alive and dead, and it only becomes one or the other when we observe the outcome.

I want to look at it physcially though. It makes far more sense to me.
Quote by SG_dave
I want to look at it physcially though. It makes far more sense to me.

Wrong.
Quote by Avedas
Wrong.

Who are you to say that?
How I want to analyse something is my opinion.

I'm aware that quantum physics is a lot of theory and outrageous guesswork, and this is an example of that. I just find it counter intuitive.

The only example that i've been given for real life application used technology that is still non existent using non-locality.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

You should take this to the philosophy thread. Where it totally hasn't been debated to death.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Ok, what about the ship of Theseus?

You have a wooden boat called Theseus. Overtime, the boat needs repairs and certain planks will need to be removed and replaced. After a few years, every plank has been removed and replaced until no plank from the original ship is there anymore.

Is this still the ship of Theseus? Is it not? If not, when did it stop becoming the same ship? etc etc..

You could also apply this theory to bands (members coming and leaving and so on)
seriously who really gives a shit what the ship is called, it's a ****in ship!
Quote by lambofgod127

Quote by SG_dave
I think he gets it more than you do

Edit: your the female
Quote by lambofgod127

How do we know the box exists?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
How do we know the box exists?

How do I know whether or not you actually asked this question?
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
How do I know that I am not you and what I see is me?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
The cat does not exist until our brain reveals it to us.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
We are our brains, though.
Quote by Gabel
Shrödingers cat: This classic is also a bit missunderstood, Shrödinger himself said that the cat cannot be in a superpositions of two states, this was not the intent of the experiment. The word observation is an unfortunate phrase in QM, and has been misinterpreted and used by many pseudoscientists since. A need for a "conscious observer" is BS. In, the case of the cat, the "observation" would be the dacay of the radioactive element. Not opening the box.

The ship: This one's more interesting. Id say when somethings added to the ship it becomes part of the ship thus it will remain Thesorus forever, but I would not say the same thing about a band...
Last edited by jocke_x1 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by ripple07
We are our brains, though.

You have much to learn.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Prototype4342
You have much to learn.

We are nothing but bundles of nerves.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by AKnownHardman

You have a wooden boat called Theseus. Overtime, the boat needs repairs and certain planks will need to be removed and replaced. After a few years, every plank has been removed and replaced until no plank from the original ship is there anymore.

Is this still the ship of Theseus? Is it not? If not, when did it stop becoming the same ship? etc etc..

You could also apply this theory to bands (members coming and leaving and so on)

And if you say yes to this, if you rebuild the ship from all of its old parts, which one is the true Theseus?
i don't know why i feel so dry
I say the point where you replace over half of the ship is where it stops being Theseus, as if over half is new parts, then you can create more than half of the original ship with the old parts thus it's more so Theseus than the newer one. Or something like that anyway.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
Quote by SnowTau
I say the point where you replace over half of the ship is where it stops being Theseus, as if over half is new parts, then you can create more than half of the original ship with the old parts thus it's more so Theseus than the newer one. Or something like that anyway.

what if it is in the middle?
yo.

I BELIEVE
i always thought it would be interesting to have a non-human thought. i.e. a thought not natural to humans.
like if aliens exist i am sure they have different thought processes than ours and what if it were possible to have a non-human thought such as those of the aliens?
i realize that to have a non-human thought i would have to be inhuman but what about people who are deemed insane or mentally disabled?
what if the insane person was merely experiencing non-human thought and we simply deemed them crazy?
i realize theres lots of holes in this but i havent really thought about it much.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I think as long as the image of the ship doesn't change it's still the same ship. Same with bands that have new members. As long as the entity is recognizable as what it was before it goes by the same name.
cat
It depends on the physical nature of the box, the length of time the cat has been in it and the condition of the cat. If the cat was sickly and old, the box airtight and the cat has been in it for a year, the cat's dead.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by AKnownHardman
I love these things, so discuss them here. Il get the ball rolling with a well known one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

Schrodinger's Cat.

Is the cat both dead and alive, until we open the box and observe?

No, nothing can be both dead and alive at the same time. This is why corpses are inanimate. What Schrodinger's Cat demonstrates is that we cannot know if the cat is alive or dead until we open the box.
Although, as Todd Hart just mentioned, in certain circumstances (air tight box, no food for longer than a cat can survive without food, ect) we can logicaly surmise that the cat will be dead.
Quote by AKnownHardman

Yes it is... but not physicaly.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
No, nothing can be both dead and alive at the same time. This is why corpses are inanimate. What Schrodinger's Cat demonstrates is that we cannot know if the cat is alive or dead until we open the box.

If the cat has been in there for a year, you know it's dead.
i read somewhere a bout a theory that nothing exists(i think its a physics theory) until we observe it i.e. the stuff in your fridge doesnt exist until you open it up. i always pictured there being an endless void in all the cabinets in my kitchen

Quote by Harvey Swick
i read somewhere a bout a theory that nothing exists(i think its a physics theory) until we observe it i.e. the stuff in your fridge doesnt exist until you open it up. i always pictured there being an endless void in all the cabinets in my kitchen

But if you leave milk in the fridge for a long time it goes off, which it couldn't do if it did not exist.
Quote by Todd Hart
But if you leave milk in the fridge for a long time it goes off, which it couldn't do if it did not exist.

until we observe the fact that it has gone bad we dont know do we?

Quote by Harvey Swick
until we observe the fact that it has gone bad we dont know do we?

We do, because milk left open in a standard fridge for a long time will go off, whether or not you observe it. I know what these thought experiments are trying to say, but they're defeated every time by the simplest logic.
Quote by Todd Hart
If the cat has been in there for a year, you know it's dead.

I've just edited my post to say I agree in principle with you but that although you can logicaly surmise that the cat will be dead, you can only know it's dead from the empirical evidence of a cat's corpse, for all anyone knows, a cat lover may have released the cat when no one was looking and all this time we've been pondering over an empty box.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I've just edited my post to say agree with you and say you can logicaly surmise that the cat will be dead, but you can only know it's dead from the empirical evidence of a cat's corpse, for all anyone knows, a cat lover may have released the cat when no one was looking and all this time we've been pondering over an empty box.

But then that defeats the point of the experiment. Not to mention the fact that I'm not letting no damn cat lover near my Existential Cat Destroyer 5000!
Page 1 of 3