It's recently occurred to me that I've accidentally rewired my brain. Every time I sit down to watch TV or a movie in my bedroom, I fall asleep, or at least get very, very drowsy. I'd done some reading in the past about insomnia and other sleep illnesses and found that many doctors suggesting removing your TV and anything not really related to sleep from your room.

Their reasoning behind this is that they can subconsciously distract you from sleep. They went on to say that if they were there for long enough, they could possibly trick your brain into thinking that your bed is not a place for you to sleep.

Naturally, I completely ignored this information and continued to watch TV in bed, and naturally I started to see that there was some truth behind what I had read. I've actually been watching TV in bed for so long though, that it seems to have turned completely around. Now whenever I watch TV, no matter what time of the day, or how long it's been since I last slept, I start to get drowsy.

TL;DR It seems I accidentally tricked my brain into thinking that my bed is not the place for me to sleep, and then that I should fall asleep whenever I watch TV, regardless of where I am.

Have any of you accidentally trained your brain to do something it probably shouldn't or wouldn't normally?
I had about 3 hours of sleep a night for the last 2 years because of school so I'd always sleep on the way to and back from school.

Now I can't get in a car or bus without falling asleep.
cat
Originally Posted by guitarxo
I had about 3 hours of sleep a night for the last 2 years because of school so I'd always sleep on the way to and back from school.

I hope you don't drive.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by guitarxo

My mom used to drive me around while I napped when I was a toddler. I fall asleep within 10 minutes in a warm car ride. I have to put AC on to drive.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
I wake completely up when I have a shower. I almost always shower in the morning immediately after a cup of coffee, so I've become used to waking up during that time.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Classical conditioning. I've learnt about it in my psyche unit.
You've made sleep a conditioned response to tv, but you can fix it.
If you stop watching tv when you're tired, eventually the connection will wear off. Can't really help you more than that.
Look up 'Pavlov's dog' if you want:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
Quote by mental_cookie
If you stop watching tv when you're tired, eventually the connection will wear off. Can't really help you more than that.

This. They do it to dogs too.
^ Hence 'Pavlog's dog'
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
Quote by mental_cookie

Yeah, I have a basic understanding of how it works, I was just wondering if anyone had done anything else similar.

It doesn't have to have anything to do with sleep, by the way guys.
Nothing over-the-top but I've tricked me noggin'.

It takes around 20 minutes for a person to start eating to feeling full. Since there's such a gap the brain estimates when you've had enough to eat. A study has proven that if one were to eat with a bigger fork you would eat less than with a smaller one, because through sight the brain believes you to be eating more. Since I eat a lot already I grabbed me a big fork.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.