I already have the Marshall MG50FX (I know it's a combo). However, I'll be moving to live with my father in Greece soon, and I can't take it with me. Don't ask why...

So, I'm planning to buy a new one there, but I certainly don't want an expensive one. I'm planning to get a 30 watt amp for less than 400-500$ (or 300 Euros).

So anyway, the one I currently have is a combo amp, and I hear that tube amps are much better. Can anyone please tell me what makes them better? Also, I thought that I probably should get a tube amp this time since I'll have to buy a new one anyway.

Would a Marshall MG30FX be a good choice, although it's a combo amp (but it's cheap, lol)? Or should I get a tube one instead? But will I find a good tube amp, for metal mostly, for under the price I've mentioned above?

Can you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: It's for playing at home, by the way...
Last edited by Ameer27 at Sep 8, 2011,
You seem to misunderstand the 'combo' part:
A 'combo' amp means the amp is like a head and cab combined (lack of better way to define it), rather than being two seperate objects.
"Tube" amps can be combo or solid state.
That said, the MG series is a Solid state type of amps, abd quite poor ones at that.
Which kind of metal do you play, and where are you currently located?
These bits of info could help us help you.
Tis a sig
Bugera 6260/6262/333 212 combo. You can get them off Thomann for around that much (or less) and they will work very well for metal. They are tube amps as well.

Here they are:
- http://www.thomann.de/gr/bugera_6260212.htm
- http://www.thomann.de/gr/bugera_6262212.htm
- http://www.thomann.de/gr/bugera_333212.htm

The Marshall MG is some kind of solid-state amp that pretty much everyone hates.

EDIT I: posted the links.
EDIT II: They ship free to Greece, too.
Last edited by rageahol at Sep 8, 2011,
Just because an amps a combo doesnt mean it's not a tube amp. If it's a combo and says it's a tube amp, it's a tube amp otherwise it's solid state or a transistor amp. Solid states use digital technology and IMO sound more "processed" than tube amps do. That being said there are some very good solid state amps out there such as the Peavey Vypyr. Tube amps use vacuum tubes and sound a lot warmer usually than solid state also if you crank the volume on a tube amp the tubes will become 'saturated' and produce an overdriven sound. Anyway though i'd suggest maybe looking at some egnater, peavey or blackstar amps maybe? I can't specify an amp cos i'm not into metal personally and i'm definitely no expert by any means!

Hope this helps anyway!!!

P.S if you're practicing at home a tube combo amp would be fine for you
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Tubes Tubes tubes always!!!!!

Have you considered an Epiphone Junior
Latest marshall Class 5 (combo comes with headphone output),
Blackstar HT.
Vox mini (solid state)
Roland cube's Excellent amp modelling.
All low wattage but more power than you will ever need at home.
Quote by happyhibee2007

Epiphone Junior
Vox mini (solid state)

Bad Metal Amp choices!
I'm considering a Peavey Vypyr. Either 15 or 30 watts.... What do you think?
Bogner Alchemist. you can get a 212 combo for around 1000 US.

if you want tubes (and tone) you're going to have to drop more money than you thought. unless you get really really lucky in the used market.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Marshall class 5 my friend assuming you dont want a larger amp

If you want something bigger try any marshall tbh apart from the MG series.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by MarshallStackLP at Sep 8, 2011,
well if you mostly play metal i'd say the peavey 6505+ is worth looking into. i have one, sounds amazing for what i'm using for. it gets plenty dirty for nu-metal and handles a 7 string very well. or you could get a used 5150II, which is the same exact thing with a different name.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by rageahol
Bugera = fake 6505/6505+/XXX

i hear about them breaking like really often, not surprising since its just behringer in disguise hahaha
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised. Their pedals are shit, but some Behringer stuff isn't TOO bad (not great though).

Off-topic: how does the trem on your LTD MH-50 hold up to divebombs? Is it a solid guitar in general?
Quote by rageahol
Bugera = fake 6505/6505+/XXX

Fake =/= Copy

Quote by Goodtimes666
i hear about them breaking like really often, not surprising since its just behringer in disguise hahaha

Bugera quality issues have been solved and countless UG members have bought them for their quality for the price.

If you want metal for cheap, Bugera is your best bet unless you go used.
What type of Metal?? Old thrash? Modern?
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by rageahol

Off-topic: how does the trem on your LTD MH-50 hold up to divebombs? Is it a solid guitar in general?

Trem = rubbish. Goes out of tune after a few dive bombs and if bending quite a lot it goes out of tune
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by Firebirdz

"Tube" amps can be combo or solid state.

heh?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Sputnik1
Bugera quality issues have been solved and countless UG members have bought them for their quality for the price.

If you want metal for cheap, Bugera is your best bet unless you go used.
You all can say what you want about Bugeras, but I'll say that I played a 333xl at Guitar Center, and while it sounded good, the quality of it was BEYOND poor. Plastic knobs, plastic faceplate, miserably cheap tolex, etc. It looked like prop designed for a movie, not a tube amp. For quality, I'd stay away from Bugera.

TS: Not sure what genres of metal you're playing, but I might have to recommend the already over-recommended Peavey 6505+ 112. It is a tube amp and is widely used in most modern metal, and it costs around $600 new, but cheaper used. It is 60w, but don't worry, you can still operate it at a low volume if you need to.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You all can say what you want about Bugeras, but I'll say that I played a 333xl at Guitar Center, and while it sounded good, the quality of it was BEYOND poor. Plastic knobs, plastic faceplate, miserably cheap tolex, etc. It looked like prop designed for a movie, not a tube amp. For quality, I'd stay away from Bugera.

TS: Not sure what genres of metal you're playing, but I might have to recommend the already over-recommended Peavey 6505+ 112. It is a tube amp and is widely used in most modern metal, and it costs around $600 new, but cheaper used. It is 60w, but don't worry, you can still operate it at a low volume if you need to.

I didn't say the build quality was fantastic. I meant that the tone is very good for the price. Go ahead and suggest the Peavey if you must. Clearly you know better than the regulars here. :cough:

I am only giving the TS some options.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Hey, it's you.

Anyway, the 6505+ combo ain't that great at low volumes. I played one at GC, vanilla, volume at max 3, and it sounded like it was muffed.

So if you do get one of those, swap out the speaker, and get an OD, maybe an EQ and noise suppressor to bump up the sound.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I would suggest a Peavey 5150/6505 212 combo. They can be had in your price range from time to time. I've played both bugera combos mentioned, as well as the 6505+ 112. All three were garbage. The 112 is missing something from the 5150 sound i just can't put my finger on. You could always try to find a used Carvin V3M and do metal as well as a ton of other stuff. But thats just my 2 cents.
Quote by a_hub10
I would suggest a Peavey 5150/6505 212 combo. They can be had in your price range from time to time. I've played both bugera combos mentioned, as well as the 6505+ 112. All three were garbage. The 112 is missing something from the 5150 sound i just can't put my finger on. You could always try to find a used Carvin V3M and do metal as well as a ton of other stuff. But thats just my 2 cents.

The combo version of any amp head is always gonna sound different. 6505+ / 6505+112 for instance. 120W / 60W. 4x12 / 1x12.

If your gonna play at home, get the combo. Its still a great sounding amp for the $$$.

If you have the ability to make noise without giving the neighbours the shi*s, get the 6505+ head and a cab. Its a great workhorse and sounds brutal.
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Anyway, the 6505+ combo ain't that great at low volumes. I played one at GC, vanilla, volume at max 3, and it sounded like it was muffed.

I also used to hate the 6505 for this very reason. All the sounds I could get out of it were too fizzy and muffled. Though most recently when I tried it out, I dialed in completely different settings than what you would expect for metal, especially the gain: I had that knob around 3, and the post on 1.5. That was probably the best sound I ever got from a 6505, and I was going through a Line 6 Spider cab (NOT Spider Valve).

Any amp can sound like shit if you use it wrong, and the 6505 is a very easy amp to use wrong.