First of all I want to write that Im playing through a Line 6 Spider.
Over the time I have played guitar, my ears and technique have developed and now I think that the amp is complete rubbish.
So Im going to get a new tube head with these criteria:
I will play Nu-Metal, bluesy stuff and Papa Roach Not listening anymore type of rock.
Tight low end for a sevenstring.
Good cleans and distortions.
Channel switch pedal if possible.
Up to 20w and powersoak would be a big plus.
Up to 550 euro.
Thanks.

(Edit)
It could also be an amp with 30-40 or 50 watts.
Not to expensive.
Last edited by Lyrax at Sep 8, 2011,
any reason why you've said "up to 20 watts"? that's going to narrow down your options considerably, and unless you have a very good reason for wanting it to be low wattage...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
any reason why you've said "up to 20 watts"? that's going to narrow down your options considerably, and unless you have a very good reason for wanting it to be low wattage...

Well this is the deal, I will use it at home and with my buddies when I will practice a bit with a full band, and some small gigs at birthdays and such.
It could have 30watts but then it would need to have a powersoak feature, preferably to 15watt.
It will be extremely difficult for you to get a very good distortion sound and a very good clean sound at gig volumes in an amplifier that's up to 20 watts (unless it's miced up, and I usually assume my amp won't be, just in case). You will probably need 40 or 50 watts to get the headroom necessary to have decent cleans.

That's all I have to say about this, as I don't play your kind of music or look for similar characteristics in my amplifiers, so I'll leave my comments at consider looking into (slightly) higher wattage amps if you plan to gig anytime in the relatively near future.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Grawgos
Silverblade hellhound?

Looks good and sounds good but unfortunately, looks like it isnt available in my country, Sweden. Thanks anyway
Modern high gain tube amps still sound decent at living room volumes, but a power soak would work if you're very anal about not having a different tone at home and on stage.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
It will be extremely difficult for you to get a very good distortion sound and a very good clean sound at gig volumes in an amplifier that's up to 20 watts (unless it's miced up, and I usually assume my amp won't be, just in case). You will probably need 40 or 50 watts to get the headroom necessary to have decent cleans.

That's all I have to say about this, as I don't play your kind of music or look for similar characteristics in my amplifiers, so I'll leave my comments at consider looking into (slightly) higher wattage amps if you plan to gig anytime in the relatively near future.

I dont think that my cab will be miced`. Well looks like I have to look for some higher wattage amps. Thanks!
Why the hell wouldn't you mike the cab? How is the sound guy going to adjust you in the mix if you don't? Having said that, I wouldn't go on stage without at least 50W behind me. How else am I going to get decent feedback?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ I meant that smaller venues usually only run Vocals through a PA. If your guitar gets miced up, then you can use a 5 watt amp if they also have monitors, but that's not always the case. =P Either way, I agree, 50 watts is a very comfortable wattage to gig with =D
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by DarthV
Modern high gain tube amps still sound decent at living room volumes, but a power soak would work if you're very anal about not having a different tone at home and on stage.

I would like to have the same tone home and on stage. I have borrowed a Peavey 112 for live playing but I would never let my Line 6 Spider stand on a stage! I would like to have the powersoak feature so I can play at lower volumes with good sound without disturbing my neighbors and my family. They dont really like my type of music.
Quote by Cathbard
Why the hell wouldn't you mike the cab? How is the sound guy going to adjust you in the mix if you don't? Having said that, I wouldn't go on stage without at least 50W behind me. How else am I going to get decent feedback?

I dont have my own mic and mixing stuff and Im not Bill Gates son.
Well, there is always Bugera. You'll even have some cash left over for a mic, and a behringer mixer! Then they'll break.

Seriously, take a look at some peavey stuff. Personally, I'd get a jcm800 clone and a tubescreamer and a nice 4x12, but that's just me, and it'll cost more than your budget, but if you look really hard you might get close. But yeah, 50, 100, and 150 watt amps are louder, but can also be quiet. They won't sound the same at high vs. low volumes, but neither will any tube amp, if low volume is bedroom levels.
Quote by Lyrax
Well this is the deal, I will use it at home and with my buddies when I will practice a bit with a full band, and some small gigs at birthdays and such.
It could have 30watts but then it would need to have a powersoak feature, preferably to 15watt.

i dunno, i mean the volume difference between 15 and 30 watts isn't all that much... it's more a headroom thing.

i'd consider maybe the traynor ycv50b on thomann, it's a pretty good all-rounder, and is at a good price (under your budget, 479 euro). Made in canada, decent stock speaker (vintage 30), ply cab... hard to go wrong at that kind of price, though if the really heavy stuff is your main priority some of the bugeras (which i haven't tried, and which have a bit of a rep for dodgy reliability) or the peavey 6505+ 112 combo would probably do it better. but the traynor is (probably) the better amp. If that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lyrax
I dont have my own mic and mixing stuff and Im not Bill Gates son.

Microphones are cheap and if you don't have a PA what are the vocals going through?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rageahol
Well, there is always Bugera. You'll even have some cash left over for a mic, and a behringer mixer! Then they'll break.

Seriously, take a look at some peavey stuff. Personally, I'd get a jcm800 clone and a tubescreamer and a nice 4x12, but that's just me, and it'll cost more than your budget, but if you look really hard you might get close. But yeah, 50, 100, and 150 watt amps are louder, but can also be quiet. They won't sound the same at high vs. low volumes, but neither will any tube amp, if low volume is bedroom levels.

Is there any Bugera or Peavey heads you can recommend (50w and under)? I will use it with a Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 probably but im not 100%. Or is there any good but not too expensive 2x12 or 4x12 you can recommend with it?
Thanks man!
Last edited by Lyrax at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Microphones are cheap and if you don't have a PA what are the vocals going through?

Thats the vocalists stuff. He said that he has a crappy one-channel thing, we have had this discussion about micing stuff and he said that we couldnt do it, thats what he said. Sounds weird. Havent really taken a look at his things.
Behringer mixers arent that expensive. Do you know if they are any good or can you recommend any good ones?
Behringer mixers are pretty bad. The sliders go in them really quick. Mackie are the way to go if you can afford it.
The problem with smaller amps is you need to mike them up and have some sound fed back to you through the monitors to get over the drums if you want any clean sounds at all. If you have at least a 50W amp that is never a problem. You can be independent for your own monitoring. At a gig you should always mike up the guitar amp for the reason I gave otherwise it's strictly amateur hour in the garage.
Drums are the limiting factor at any gig. That's what you are competing with. You can get away without miking up (although it is contra-indicated) as long as you are as loud as the drums and if you have to be louder than that the drums will be miked up too. You can get away with small amps ONLY if you mike up. What you need is at least 50W.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Behringer mixers are pretty bad. The sliders go in them really quick. Mackie are the way to go if you can afford it.
The problem with smaller amps is you need to mike them up and have some sound fed back to you through the monitors to get over the drums if you want any clean sounds at all. If you have at least a 50W amp that is never a problem. You can be independent for your own monitoring. At a gig you should always mike up the guitar amp for the reason I gave otherwise it's strictly amateur hour in the garage.
Drums are the limiting factor at any gig. That's what you are competing with. You can get away without miking up (although it is contra-indicated) as long as you are as loud as the drums and if you have to be louder than that the drums will be miked up too. You can get away with small amps ONLY if you mike up. What you need is at least 50W.

So I will look for 50watters and Mackies! Thats pretty much all. And if you know any good mics could you tell me because I dont know a shit about them.
Thanks anyway!
Shure SM57 is the industry standard mike but there are other good ones that will do a fine job. AKG make a good mike that are usually cheaper, like a D40. Even cheaper is one I use a lot which is a Peavey PVM45. The Peavey is about as cheap as you'd want to go really. I'm sure there are lots of others I've missed, somebody else may chime in with something else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Shure SM57 is the industry standard mike but there are other good ones that will do a fine job. AKG make a good mike that are usually cheaper, like a D40. Even cheaper is one I use a lot which is a Peavey PVM45. The Peavey is about as cheap as you'd want to go really. I'm sure there are lots of others I've missed, somebody else may chime in with something else.

Thanks for all!!
Quote by Lyrax
I would like to have the same tone home and on stage.

In my experience this just isn't possible. As you turn up the master you'll suddenly have too much bass or highs (it's a matter of physics) but you'll have to to adjust your tone anyway - the sound you use in your bedroom will often sound rubbish in a band.

Both my amps are over 100watt and I can get a good bedroom sound from either (admittedly it's a balance between too loud, just right and off!). A power soak is great for getting power tube distortion but most hard rock/metal doesn't rely on that for its sound.
Quote by Dilberto
In my experience this just isn't possible. As you turn up the master you'll suddenly have too much bass or highs (it's a matter of physics) but you'll have to to adjust your tone anyway - the sound you use in your bedroom will often sound rubbish in a band.

Both my amps are over 100watt and I can get a good bedroom sound from either (admittedly it's a balance between too loud, just right and off!). A power soak is great for getting power tube distortion but most hard rock/metal doesn't rely on that for its sound.

Yea I get it. I have never used my gig amp in my bedroom, and my 15watt pile of rubbish with the band. It sounds different on different volumes.
Wich amps by the way?
ok if ur budget was higher i woulda said wait for those new 25w mini dual rectos GASing for one so bad
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
ok if ur budget was higher i woulda said wait for those new 25w mini dual rectos GASing for one so bad

Yea those look BADASS! I would really like to try one.
I would probably need to work as a prostitute. But 25watts for 1200 euros is a bit overkill, dont you think?
Quote by Lyrax
Yea those look BADASS! I would really like to try one.
I would probably need to work as a prostitute. But 25watts for 1200 euros is a bit overkill, dont you think?

i honestly wouldnt mind considering it has one of the best gain structures from the dual recto in a 25w much more managable head....but yea i would probably wait a year or 2 and look for some used ones. i couldnt imagine having a dual recto in my house.....

but that makes me a hypocrite cause i have a 150w crate :/

too much wanting, not enough logic-ing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i honestly wouldnt mind considering it has one of the best gain structures from the dual recto in a 25w much more managable head....but yea i would probably wait a year or 2 and look for some used ones. i couldnt imagine having a dual recto in my house.....

but that makes me a hypocrite cause i have a 150w crate :/

too much wanting, not enough logic-ing

But still, it would be worth having the recto sound in a 25 watt form and portable.
A mini recto and a Mesa Boogie thiele 1x12 would be freaking ideal!
Damn thats smart!
Quote by Lyrax
Yea I get it. I have never used my gig amp in my bedroom, and my 15watt pile of rubbish with the band. It sounds different on different volumes.
Wich amps by the way?

Marshall 6100 and Bugera 333XL combo. Thinking about an Orange Dark Terror at the moment too and getting rid of both the others.
Quote by Dilberto
Marshall 6100 and Bugera 333XL combo. Thinking about an Orange Dark Terror at the moment too and getting rid of both the others.

Nice..
Have you looked at Engl Gigmaster 15? Same price class as the Dark terror.
The Engls sounds interesting:
A little sound review by a great swedish guitarist
http://www.youtube.com/user/fearedse#p/search/1/OVFogN2w6NA
i don't think the gigmaster is all tube
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think the gigmaster is all tube

Its a hybrid one
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?