Right i have a Fender 72 deluxe
Its a good guitar but iv'e had a problem with it for a while that i keep going out of tune, its really annoying.

Its not the strings as i've left some on for a few months now too make sure 100% its not the strings stretching!

I've got the bridge level and pretty much the guitar is set up how i want it, but its still going outta tune. What could be the cause? Possibly the tuners? The g/b strings are worst effected by they all do it pretty much
How many times are the strings wrapped around the tuning post? Should be about 2 or 3 times. I usually let about 3 fingers wide worth of slack in the string before I start winding it, and I rarely have problems with tuning.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Go to the electric guitar forum, and look at the set up thread up top. It details how to properly string a tuning peg, my guess is you aren't doing it.

Hint: If it doesn't look like a little knot you're doing it wrong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
well theres no temperature changes other than the changing seasons.. also no i haven got lube on it. Should i be? also i dont have a knot around the peg but its well strung with just 3 wraps around the pegs. So that shouldnt be the problem should it?
You should definitely be putting a a lube on the nut. Pencil graphite or commercial Nut Sauce.
What will lube on the nut acheive? And pencil graphite? How is that lube? isnt graphite the grey stuff in pencils often mistaken for lead?
Lube prevents the strings sticking in the nut, which can cause the guitar to go out of tune when bending or even temp changes. You talk about the bridge being level, but I didn't know the 72 Deluxe had a trem. Do you mean the saddles are level?

Yeah, people use pencil lead for nut lube. Just google for lubricate guitar nut.
You need to make sure the string wraps around and on top of itself on the peg. If you just have stacked windings, they are going to slip - especially the non wound strings.
Attachments:
string.jpg
Quote by billabob
Right i have a Fender 72 deluxe
Its not the strings as i've left some on for a few months now too make sure 100% its not the strings stretching!

Some strings won't be able to hold tune after a few months. It could be the the strings (but not necessarily).
Change the strings and lube the nut, then make sure theyre in the tuning pegs in the proper way.
call me ziggy.
Quote by thrashdeth
Some strings won't be able to hold tune after a few months. It could be the the strings (but not necessarily).

Well it shouldnt be because i have been changing strings regularly and it still happened, and i do properly stretch my strings when putting them on. However, ill change my strings now, and try that locking system and see if that works. If not ill get some of that graphite stuff!

How come everyone doesn't use the system uve just shown then? Like this guy claims to be a pro tech, but he doesn't use it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc
Last edited by billabob at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by billabob
Well it shouldnt be because i have been changing strings regularly and it still happened, and i do properly stretch my strings when putting them on. However, ill change my strings now, and try that locking system and see if that works. If not ill get some of that graphite stuff!

How come everyone doesn't use the system uve just shown then? Like this guy claims to be a pro tech, but he doesn't use it...

It looks like he is wrapping the string on top of itself by the angle of the string comming out the other side of the peg.
the strings are old and need changed.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I use $2 strings from Musicians Friend and after a few days they stay in tune no matter how old they are. And I've got plenty of old strings on my guitars.
Quote by billabob

Strings fully stretch in at least 3 days, it doesn't take months...strings usually start to not be able to hold their tuning after a few months.

I bet anything it's either the nut, or it's your tuning pegs.
Quote by 667
You need to make sure the string wraps around and on top of itself on the peg. If you just have stacked windings, they are going to slip - especially the non wound strings.

you can't really do that on a '72 deluxe tele with the stock tuners because they are the vintage slotted tuners:

I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
you can't really do that on a '72 deluxe tele with the stock tuners because they are the vintage slotted tuners:

Yer this i have to cut my string to length then slot the eng of the string in a little hole inside the tuner. so i locking string thing wont work. Im gonna get a few new sets of strings tomorrow, ill restring it then. Ill see if i can get some guitar lube too. Ill post back tomorrow see if its worked. Ive got a feeling it may be catching on the nut now tho. Ive just been playing and i noticed a little ping noise from by the headstock and then boom, g string outta tune! Would this be the nut or the tuners?
Quote by Blompcube

It's even easier with vintage slotted tuners. Just cut the string 2 inches past the post and insert it in the hole and wind. My Strat never goes out of tune.

And why is it taking people days to stretch out their strings? You're supposed to stretch them after you put them on and then you don't have to wait at all...
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube

No, you can. The slot will not hamper this method. You have to keep tension on the slack with your other hand and steer the windings down.
Quote by 667
No, you can. The slot will not hamper this method. You have to keep tension on the slack with your other hand and steer the windings down.

nonetheless, i refer to what the mmolteratx said. "can't" was a bad choice of word on my part. perhaps replace it with "shouldn't". it's quicker, easier and just as effective (if not moreso) to string up these tuning posts the way they intended

and yeah, i think it's the strings catching in the nut. i've had the same problem with so many guitars that has been solved by simply putting some graphite in the nut slots.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
nonetheless, i refer to what the mmolteratx said. "can't" was a bad choice of word on my part. perhaps replace it with "shouldn't". it's quicker, easier and just as effective (if not moreso) to string up these tuning posts the way they intended

and yeah, i think it's the strings catching in the nut. i've had the same problem with so many guitars that has been solved by simply putting some graphite in the nut slots.

Fair enough, but I'll add that I don't agree on the quickness because with the locking wrap method, you don't need as many windings.
kl so if i just string the guitar how i normally do but use lube On the nut and bridge should sort the problem?
Quote by billabob
kl so if i just string the guitar how i normally do but use lube On the nut and bridge should sort the problem?

I seriously doubt it but it can't hurt to try.

Question: Why don't you at least try the free winding method first?

Also, a new graphite nut cost around $5 to $10. The graphite in a tube prolly costs the same. If you're concerned about nut friction, you should just replace it.
Quote by Dmaj7
+1

reported because nobody laughed and you +1'd yourself.

TS, is it all the strings?

1. yes stretching is just a day or two of playing.

2. yes, a few wraps and i love vintage tuners.
for a secure grip.

3. YES, the strings might be getting caught in the cuts of the nut.
to get graphite in the cut, shave a little pile of graphite and
use the tip of a needle to get it into the bottom of the nut cut.

also lube all string contact points, like said.

4. what kind of bridge do we have here? is vintage 3 saddle setup?

please answer as many questions as possible.

edit: on metal, you would use a light machine oil like 3 in 1 oil.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by Dmaj7
right. sorry for breaking the rules.

Thank you forum police.

you're welcome.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by 667
Fair enough, but I'll add that I don't agree on the quickness because with the locking wrap method, you don't need as many windings.

the locking wrap method definitely takes me longer - the number of winds isn't the issue, and that's on regular tuners with a hole through the post. which makes it easier than it is on slotted tuners.

i think graphite in the nut slots is probably the first thing that should be tried. just carefully draw in the nut slots with a sharp pencil, that's what i do.

Alright soo tomorrow ill change the strings put on graphite on the nut and if ive still got the problem ill post back, cheers for all the help :P ill post with pictures of how ive strung it aswell so u guys can see im not noobing up the stinging :P