I've Noticed that the older generations are calling new music shitty and that if it ain't from the 80s its shit.
But I beg to differ, Don't get me wrong I love slayer,Metallica Megadeth, led zepplin, Ac/dc,all that stuff.
But i do love new music, but I feel like you old timers calling our music shitty is a little close minded.

Who do you guys think are modern bands with great guitarist? Bassist? or just great musicians in General?

My choices For the best modern guitarist ( my opinion)

Alexi laiho ( a little old i know)
Will Adler, mark morton ( lamb of god)
Jim root, Mick thompson ( slipknot)
Misha Mansoor ( Periphery)
Tosin Abasi ( animals as leaders)
Matthew Tuck,Michael Paget ( bullet for my valentine)
Herman lee ( dragonforce,)
Synyster gates ( Avenged sevenfold)
Luke Hoskin ( protest the hero)
Dan ( disturbed )
Mark Heylum, chris garza ( suicide silence)
Gus G ( Firewind, Ozzy)
Brian Eschbach,Ryan Knigh ( black dahlia murder)
Jack white ( white stripes)
Phil Sgrosso, Nick Hipa ( as i lay dying)
Every modern band nowadays has someone worth mentioning in their band. There is a virtuoso musician in almost every band. It's just the product of the bands that people hate on, not the skill level of those in the band. Some of those guys you listed are more technically proficient than the guitarists of the past but it doesn't mean they can write a good song, which is sadly the case.

You misinterpret the argument made against modern music.

Alex Laiho can shred harder and faster than the next guy but he just can't write music that will stand the test of time or be memorable.
Ben Wells and Paul Mahon , which Black Stone Cherry and The Answer respectively
Looking for bandmates , jamming partners in Aberdeen , Scotland , pm please.

09 MIA Tele
Ridgewood LP Custom Copy

Marshall MG30FX
Blackstar HT-Dual
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by Gabe_Esp

But I beg to differ, Don't get me wrong I love slayer,Metallica Megadeth,...

don't know about you guys , but i stopped reading there.
Quote by CronoMagus
Every modern band nowadays has someone worth mentioning in their band. There is a virtuoso musician in almost every band. It's just the product of the bands that people hate on, not the skill level of those in the band. Some of those guys you listed are more technically proficient than the guitarists of the past but it doesn't mean they can write a good song, which is sadly the case.

You misinterpret the argument made against modern music.

Alex Laiho can shred harder and faster than the next guy but he just can't write music that will stand the test of time or be memorable.

I beg to differ I love alexi Laiho's music.
It just im tired of bands sounding the same as ****ing ac/dc, Megadeth, and all that old stuff.
It Gets repetitive, I feel that you old timers just say it wont stand the test of time because you guys don't like it :P
It just the progress of music, The new generations like the new music while the older generations hate on it.
Matt Bellamy? As much as Muse annoy me, you can't really deny his talent, both as a guitarist and a songwriter. I tend to think of Jack White as a bit of a dud, however. I don't like his playing, and his songwriting seems uninspired. I'm all for learning from past masters, but donning a period costume and aping old techniques is just not exciting, especially since it seems to be a way of hiding his lack of ideas or what have you. Synyster gates is awesome- few modern metal players have such a distinctive guitar style.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by TomMon
Matt Bellamy? As much as Muse annoy me, you can't really deny his talent, both as a guitarist and a songwriter. I tend to think of Jack White as a bit of a dud, however. I don't like his playing, and his songwriting seems uninspired. I'm all for learning from past masters, but donning a period costume and aping old techniques is just not exciting, especially since it seems to be a way of hiding his lack of ideas or what have you. Synyster gates is awesome- few modern metal players have such a distinctive guitar style.

I love muse, AND YES YOU HAVE GOOD POINTS, Just because you don't like a band that doesn't make them talentless.
I actually really like older muse, their new album sucks.

The guy from 30 seconds to mars isn't a monster at guitar or anything but 30 seconds to mas does make some pretty bad ass music.
best rock/metal guitarist i think is Marco sfogli , also Daniele Gottardo freaking awsome
have a listen to this links, if u haven't heard them before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOomFjGfGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YIWOSBX_U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCBnYE48Ss&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL8DAF290708375718
Last edited by COBHC912 at Sep 8, 2011,
John Frusciante definately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he should still count as modern because he only became big in 1991 in Blood Sex Sugar Magik and he still records albums anyway!!!!!!!!

HE IS A GENIUS AND HE IS THE CLOSEST THING TO HENDRIX SINCE HENDRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna have repeats of earlier guitarists posted I'm sure, but some that I'd nominate
Matt Heafy + Corey Beaulieu (Trivium)
Oli Herbert (All That Remains) soooo underrated for his amazing solos
Misha Mansoor (Periphery)
Claudio Sanchez (Coheed and Cambria)
Alexi Laiho (CoB)
Adam D (KSE + Times of Grace) not the most technical, but he never ceases to write/produce great music AND he's a great stage-show performer
Quote by rebar71
Mark Tremonti

the last creed album was not so good! but have huge respect for tremonti
Quote by itamar101
John Frusciante definately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he should still count as modern because he only became big in 1991 in Blood Sex Sugar Magik and he still records albums anyway!!!!!!!!

HE IS A GENIUS AND HE IS THE CLOSEST THING TO HENDRIX SINCE HENDRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess the thread title is "best rock/metal guitarist in Recent years !!
Last edited by COBHC912 at Sep 8, 2011,
I have never heard any older Metal guy bash new metal. In order to make this list you must include the likes of Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde and many more not to is ludacris. Two of the best writers and musicians around. I don't get the point.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Last edited by Picksqueal72 at Sep 8, 2011,
and when a group of listeners just mention the old legendary bands/artists all the time !! they are not really open minded , coz lot of players are working really hard to come up with something new like phrasing or melody. and its freaking hard now-a-days . so we should appreciate them instead of just saying the legendary names.
Brent Hinds is an exceptional guitarist that is active in todays music world.

I've Noticed that the older generations are calling new music shitty and that if it ain't from the 80s its shit.
But I beg to differ, Don't get me wrong I love slayer,Metallica Megadeth, led zepplin, Ac/dc,all that stuff.
But i do love new music, but I feel like you old timers calling our music shitty is a little close minded.

Nostalgia.

They are too lazy to look for good music.

I rarely hear the 80s coming from peoples mouths like this, more often it's the 70s.

You can find shit music from any decade. But upon looking back at the past decades nobody remembers the shit music because well, it was shit. So it paints an inaccurate picture of music being released back then as being really good. Of course you think everything from the 70s or whatever is good when you only include the good stuff.

It's kinda like vintage instruments. Only the good ones were worth keeping 30+ years. So people think all vintage instruments sound good when really, the bad ones were not kept so you never hear the bad ones.
misha from periphery is pretty cool...other then that

jeff loomis is amazing

PG is timeless

matt heafy is pretty innovative although i dont listen to trivium

people swear by alexi laiho
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
misha from periphery is pretty cool...other then that

jeff loomis is amazing

PG is timeless

matt heafy is pretty innovative although i dont listen to trivium

people swear by alexi laiho

+1
Michael Romeo from Symphony X is really good from what I've seen, but I've only heard 2 or 3 Symphony X songs and some of his solo album. Chris Broderick's pretty amazing too. Most of the guitarists I look up to are from the 80s though, and some aren't what they used to be(Jason Becker physically can't play anymore, sadly. He still writes though, and he does it with his eyes at that, gotta give him credit there. xD).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by COBHC912
the last creed album was not so good! but have huge respect for tremonti

His work with Alter Bridge is head & shoulders above anything from Creed. He also has a solo album in the works right now. Can't wait to check that out.
Last edited by rebar71 at Sep 8, 2011,
Why hasn't Jeff Loomis been mentioned yet?

EDIT: Because he has.
Last edited by CV334 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by CV334
Why hasn't Jeff Loomis been mentioned yet?

cause he has and u havnt bothered reading my post
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
cause he has and u havnt bothered reading my post

*slaps forehead*

Sorry about that...
Personal favorites are Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, and Alexi Laiho. I'm glad to see Jeff and Chris getting the recognition they deserve in the last few years.

There are a ton of great guitarists though.
This is the electric guitar forum. It's for discussing electric guitars, the instruments themselves, only. Threads like this can go in the pit, or perhaps in one of the genre forums if you want to ask about guitarists in more specific categories.