Page 1 of 5
So in last night's GOP debate, Governor Rick Perry was asking whether he could sleep at night, knowing his state has put 234 people to death by the death penalty; more than any previous Governor. Before he could answer though, the audience applauded at the figure of 234 people having been killed... wat?! What is wrong with these people?

Link: http://videogum.com/368131/oh-i-see-we-live-in-a-nightmare-world-got-it/politics/

EDIT: Apologies for the title, it appears it's not exclusively Texans applauding.
Last edited by uk.mace at Sep 8, 2011,
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
There are those in Texas and other places that agree with the death penalty. Get over it
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Zeletros
How is this bad?

Death penalty is there for a reason.

And not a good one.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Texas are a bunch of idiots. Seriously, they are worse than the inbred.

Actually, they may be inbred.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
I'm not a fan of unnecessary death. but when you get the death penalty, you've for sure done something to deserve it
They got the death penalty. That's not something handed out without discretion. I'm sure they deserved to die and so i too applaud.
Quote by son_of_bodom
There are those in Texas and other places that agree with the death penalty. Get over it

I agree with the death penalty too but it seems to me in very poor taste to cheer on the death of 234 people no matter what they did, especially considering at least a few of them were probably innocent considering how screwed up our justice system can be at times.
And that doesn't even take into consideration the mentally incompetent people Texas has executed. It's definitely a Texas thing. No other state in the US kills people like they do.
Quote by son_of_bodom

Quote by Zeletros
How is this bad?

So does that make it right to applaud it? I respect that it's a democratic choice to have the death penalty, but I don't see how you could justify applauding the statistic that says you're more blood-thirsty than any previous governor. It's pretty sick.
If, out of those 240, there was one innocent, which i think there probably was, it was not worth it.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by oklahoma pie
They got the death penalty. That's not something handed out without discretion. I'm sure they deserved to die and so i too applaud.

You're absolutely sure every single last one of them deserved to die? Even with all the convictions that have been overturned recently? Even with all the evidence that innocent people have been executed in the past?
Don't tell me this is your first run-in with the GOP...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Whether or not the death penalty's a good idea, applauding people's deaths is pretty ****ed.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
God I hate threads like these.

If Jesse Jackson said some jackass comment and a bunch of black people in the audience started cheering, you wouldn't come into a thread saying "Yep, that's black people for ya!"
Quote by TheBurningFish
Whether or not the death penalty's a good idea, applauding people's deaths is pretty ****ed.

How many people in this thread were cheering when Osama bin Laden was killed?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by The Madcap
God I hate threads like these.

If Jesse Jackson said some jackass comment and a bunch of black people in the audience started cheering, you wouldn't come into a thread saying "Yep, that's black people for ya!"

Tis True
What makes you think it was Texans that cheered for it?
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by Weirdbag
This is so america.

no
Quote by Zeletros
How is this bad?

no
Quote by Charley2715
I'm not a fan of unnecessary death. but when you get the death penalty, you've for sure done something to deserve it

no
Quote by oklahoma pie

no
Quote by uk.mace
So does that make it right to applaud it? I respect that it's a democratic choice to have the death penalty, but I don't see how you could justify applauding the statistic that says you're more blood-thirsty than any previous governor. It's pretty sick.

Don't be a pussy.

I'd actually love it if people had a different relation to death, like they used to have it the ancient times.

Birth, as well as death, was counted as a positive event.
Quote by Shirate
How many people in this thread were cheering when Osama bin Laden was killed?

Fair point but there's a difference between executing one war criminal who was definitely guilty and executing hundreds of regular criminals who were probably guilty.
Quote by metalfan986
Fair point but there's a difference between executing one war criminal who was definitely guilty and executing hundreds of regular criminals who were probably guilty.

If they're criminals then they're not PROBABLY guilty, they ARE.
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
If, out of those 240, there was one innocent, which i think there probably was, it was not worth it.

No-one's innocent...
The Voices made me post that

Hi everybody it's me, Facebones!

Yes I see that it's ****ed to clap for a bunch of people dying, however, I don't see the big deal, They got the death penalty because they've done something horrible. The whole "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" never made much sense to me. While we're going to be "the bigger man" the fact that someone died and the person who deserved to die didn't seems bogus. The whole "well then that doesn't make you any better" never really grasped me either. How is killing someone who deserved to die worse than killing an innocent person for no reason. There's a bit of a difference.

I believe in the Death Penalty, but only for extreme cases. Mass Murder, Murder, Extreme crimes against children (rape, etc).
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Zeletros
If they're criminals then they're not PROBABLY guilty, they ARE.

You do realize that our justice system is governed by jurors who make mistakes and not some omnipotent being that knows everything right?
Revolting, but I'd like to point out that was at Reagan's presidential library in California so it's not a Texas thing, it's a general Republican thing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Tango616
Yes I see that it's ****ed to clap for a bunch of people dying, however, I don't see the big deal, They got the death penalty because they've done something horrible. The whole "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" never made much sense to me. While we're going to be "the bigger man" the fact that someone died and the person who deserved to die didn't seems bogus. The whole "well then that doesn't make you any better" never really grasped me either. How is killing someone who deserved to die worse than killing an innocent person for no reason. There's a bit of a difference.

I believe in the Death Penalty, but only for extreme cases. Mass Murder, Murder, Extreme crimes against children (rape, etc).

Any rebuttals to those arguments other than they "seem bogus" or "never made much sense to you"?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by metalfan986
You do realize that our justice system is governed by jurors who make mistakes and not some omnipotent being that knows everything right?

I do.

My arguments are:

1) A good way to control population

2) You don't have to live in Texas if you don't want to

3) It's cheaper to kill people I suspect than to keep them in prison for lifetime
Quote by Zeletros
I do.

My arguments are:

1) A good way to control population

2) You don't have to live in Texas if you don't want to

3) It's cheaper to kill people I suspect than to keep them in prison for lifetime

you are so fucking wrong in everything you say
Quote by Dirge Humani

Page 1 of 5