Hey, I've written a chord progression for my band that, thus far, goes as following:

Cmaj7, Asus4, Dm7

Due to the maj7 sus4 etc. alterations I'm thinking it would be one of the major modes, but all the notes in the different chords are actually within just the regular C major scale - so is this song in regular C major? :O

Thank you!
Cmaj7 = C E G B
Asus4 = A B D
Dm7 = D F A C

I think it's C major, since it sounds right if it goes back to Cmaj7 at the end.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Sep 8, 2011,
It's in C major.

The A major (actually Asus but functions like a major), is just a secondary dominant.
Quote by Woffelz
Dm7 = D F G C

Ain't the notes D F A C?

Anyway, it doesn't change a thing.
Quote by Munq
Ain't the notes D F A C?

Anyway, it doesn't change a thing.

Facking typo. Yes, it is supposed to be D F A C.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Facking typo. Yes, it is supposed to be D F A C.

Hee my first correction at music forums!

nah just kidding
Quote by Mausmaus
Hey, I've written a chord progression for my band that, thus far, goes as following:

Cmaj7, Asus4, Dm7

Due to the maj7 sus4 etc. alterations I'm thinking it would be one of the major modes, but all the notes in the different chords are actually within just the regular C major scale - so is this song in regular C major? :O

If you're thinking diatonically, worth thinking about this way:

A maj7 chord appears in two places - as the I or the IV.

But if it was the IV, then the V would be a dom7, not minor. So it's got to the be 1. The only reason to re-think that would be if the Asus4 didn't fit ... but it does (the 4th of A is a D, which is in our key).

But, of course, remember that not every chord sequence completely fits diatonically, so you sometimes have to focus on where it sounds like its resolving to.