Hey guys,
I've been playing with this Thrash metal group for about a year now and things are really starting to pick up, but I'm still a little unsatisfied with my tone. I'm a Warwick player through and through and I've been recording and playing with my 2003 Thumb bass, which sounds awesome in almost every music, but is just a little off for thrash. I'm trying to get a tone like Anthrax mixed with Coroner. Is there any way you all think I can get this type of tone out of my Warwick? (i know the easy solution would be buy a P-Bass but I love my basses, plus i have no money) Thanks for any suggestions.
easy mode would be tiny amount of overdrive, and for thrash I like to have mids flat and keep bass and treble maxed.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
thrash with a warwick!
http://youtu.be/I-xeddQgH44
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I generally set my bass around a 6 or a 7, my mid around 5 or 6, and my treble around 4 or 5. I think it works well for thrash.
What I would do:
-mid scoop. Definitely.
-little drive, just enough to get a good growl
-not quite sure on this, but I got my new flatwounds (d'darrio chrome med. Gauge), and with barely an eq tweaking I got an instant modern exodus tone. I don't know how it would sound with you puckups, but it works with my dean.
Lots of volume. Be heard
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
I'd by an Ashdown James LoMenzo pedal. Allows a editable band of overdrive so you can keep certain frequencies clean and blend in some overdrive, allows for a sweet metal tone.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'd by an Ashdown James LoMenzo pedal. Allows a editable band of overdrive so you can keep certain frequencies clean and blend in some overdrive, allows for a sweet metal tone.

+1 that's probably the best you can get.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
What I do is keep the bass and treble flat-ish, and if your EQ differentiates the low mids from the hi mids, you could try scooping the low mids only, while boosting the hi mids a little for a cutting tone.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by ETHANEVIL
What I would do:
-mid scoop. Definitely.

Trust me, this is exactly what NOT to do. This will get you buried in a live band setting. Whenever I work sound in places I see bassists who cut their mids and wonder why they can't be heard clearly in the mix. A tone that sounds good by itself usually sounds like shit when put with the rest of a band.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
Trust me, this is exactly what NOT to do. This will get you buried in a live band setting. Whenever I work sound in places I see bassists who cut their mids and wonder why they can't be heard clearly in the mix. A tone that sounds good by itself usually sounds like shit when put with the rest of a band.

the thing about thrash is you're providing the low end, not the rhythm. You're better off scooping mids in this genre.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I don't see how scooping your mids is a good idea. A lot of good thrash bands have bassists who do that, and they're lost in it, and it's hard to hear the awesome stuff they do sometimes.

I personally think that a good thrash bass tone should provide the low end, but also have enough mid to add to the general "loudness"