So which great bassists do you think put up with the most shit? You know, annoying singers, wanking lead guitarists and utterly retarded producers.

My vote goes to Geezer Butler. Still plays his solid and simple lines despite putting up with Tony Iommi's gratuitous guitar solo's, Ozzy Osbourne in general, Dio's ego and Ozzy Osbourne yet again and Zakk Wylde's overbearing chugchugchugSQEEEEEEEE.
Michael Anthony...having to put up with Eddie and Alex...and then getting the boot for Eddie's kid.
Michael Anthony, from Van Halen. He put up with Diamond Dave's shit, went on with Sammy Hagar, reunited with Dave again just to be fired and replaced by Eddie's kid, for no apparant reason.
The bassists from Jamiroquai often have to deal with a lot of pretentiousness from their singer, hence why Stuart Zender left. Can't think of many others that haven't been mentioned yet. I think we bassists may sometimes be forgotten but we're not often treated like dirt.
[Insert something clever here]
Quote by chrisrab5150
Michael Anthony...having to put up with Eddie and Alex...and then getting the boot for Eddie's kid.

Can't really beat this.
Jason Newsted? Not a particulary good bassist but he had to put up with all the shit those metallica guys were doing to him while they were mourning over Cliff's dead... He put up with them for a decade or so, right?
Last edited by GidBass at Sep 8, 2011,
Spaz91, for all those shipping times.

Seriously though; Rich Grech was in one of the most legendarily short lived, but acclaimed supergroups and no-one knows who he is, he's done tons of studio work as well. John McVie too, he never really got a chance to groove as he obviously could in my opinion....
Quote by GrStMyGn
Spaz91, for all those shipping times.

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
How about poor old Gene Simmons? How does such a humble, down to earth man put up with so many megalomaniacs?

Seriously, I nominate John Entwistle. He had to endure a lifetime of everyone telling him "TURN IT DOWN, DAMN IT!"

May he rest in peace with a heavenly stack of giant amplifiers cranked to the gills.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Duff Killigan.

Quote by GidBass
Jason Newsted? Not a particulary good bassist

I must break you.
Seriously though, I do agree with your points, he was pretty much being treated like the new guy for 15 years.
Must've been horrible when he got to play with his idols, who then essentially cut him out off the first album he played with them on.
Jason Newsted.

Duff knew the deal in G n' R, put up with it.

Newsted came in as the new boy, thought it'd be epic, and got shat on for over a decade, before watching them 'reinvent themselves', and have a ball of a time with Trujillo. Pretty much the band equivalent of a rebound relationship that they both thought would work, but didn't.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
uhh jerry only, maybe. just for how glenn decided the band, songs, and logos were all his even though jerry founded, wrote, and drew everything respectively. the courts declared it!

haha maybe the guy in dragonforce? whoever he may be...

murderface...?

huckabee probably..
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
all of them
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Tony iommi hardly has gratitous solos and geezer had one of the first ever bass solos...
mosts bassists have to put up with a degree of shit, you can never hear some of them, like in acdc or something
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by GidBass
Jason Newsted? Not a particulary good bassist

http://youtu.be/5jkrsUn3pgk
listen to this and say hes not a good bassist. Newsted has my vote
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
^ i listened to that 8 minutes of nonsense, i must have missed something...

any orchestral bassist has to put up with loads of crap, and any pit bassist lol
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101

any orchestral bassist has to put up with loads of crap, and any pit bassist lol

Generally they know what they're getting into in the first place though.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
i didnt

i assume everyone knows what theyre getting into haha you dont really form a band with strangers
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Thats crazy on Jason Newsted and I had no idead thats what happened with Michael Anthony. Those two definitely win!

And some people do form a band with strangers. Ive met some of my (now) good friends from just meeting to play music as strangers.
Quote by bassman10101
i didnt

Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive