Tom Scholz is from the band Boston, known for making the distinct Boston sound. Wich amps did he use. I know he used a Les Paul goldtop.
I think he used an attenuated plexi with an eq boosting the upper mids.

He invented the Rockman; that was also a major element of the Boston sound.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Strat007
I think he used an attenuated plexi with an eq boosting the upper mids.

He invented the Rockman; that was also a major element of the Boston sound.

Yes I know he invented the Rockman, was it a whole amp? I know that stereochorus, the portable amp and pre-amp was parts of the Rockman line. I think that he made the Echoplex too. But do you know what amphead he used?
Attenuated Marshall Superlead, aka plexi.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Strat007
Attenuated Marshall Superlead, aka plexi.

Didnt know that it was called plexi. Thanks!
Quote by Lyrax
Yes I know he invented the Rockman, was it a whole amp? I know that stereochorus, the portable amp and pre-amp was parts of the Rockman line. I think that he made the Echoplex too. But do you know what amphead he used?

It was a modular concept that incorporated EQ and effects. According to Scholz, this arrangement was the only thing that allowed (and still allows) him to play Boston's songs live, as he can switch between EQ and effects schemes with a footswitch.

The basic guitar sound was meant to replicate the distortion Scholz got from cranking a non-master volume amplifier (a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead Plexi) to the absolute maximum and then bringing the level down with a power attenuator.

Whether you go the Marshall or the Rockman path (good lick finding a Rockman unit besides one of the headphone amps), it is an expensive journey.

Check out this site for more information:

http://www.rockman.fr/Menu/Menu.htm
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
It was a modular concept that incorporated EQ and effects. According to Scholz, this arrangement was the only thing that allowed (and still allows) him to play Boston's songs live, as he can switch between EQ and effects schemes with a footswitch.

The basic guitar sound was meant to replicate the distortion Scholz got from cranking a non-master volume amplifier (a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead Plexi) to the absolute maximum and then bringing the level down with a power attenuator.

Whether you go the Marshall or the Rockman path (good lick finding a Rockman unit besides one of the headphone amps), it is an expensive journey.

Check out this site for more information:

http://www.rockman.fr/Menu/Menu.htm

Damn, that shit is cool!! I assume that he is still using it live?
Gotta be truly expensive thou.
Yes, Tom Scholz still has several units that he uses live. Heaven knows what he's built for himself in the intervening years. Very few of the modular units were ever produced for retail sale. I believe that the cabinets he uses are empty; his Rockman iunits go directly into the board. I saw only two such modular Rockman units for sale in my life. I don't remember how much they were, but they were expensive. I suspect that if you ever found one used, it would cost a bloody fortune.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Yes, Tom Scholz still has several units that he uses live. Heaven knows what he's built for himself in the intervening years. Very few of the modular units were ever produced for retail sale. I believe that the cabinets he uses are empty; his Rockman iunits go directly into the board. I saw only two such modular Rockman units for sale in my life. I don't remember how much they were, but they were expensive. I suspect that if you ever found one used, it would cost a bloody fortune.

He is pretty much a genius so he can make himself anything.
The original portable amps are hard to get hold of too, and they cost a bit.
Do you know anything about his modded echoplex/hyperspace pedal or whatever it is called?
Heres a cool video when he uses it during a solo, watch in about 2:40 for some cool stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5QSIRLLNA
Last edited by Lyrax at Sep 11, 2011,
you may want to send a private message to bostonrocks, he is a member here and has a fair amount of smarts on sholz stuff as well. he just doesn't post here as much anymore.
Quote by FatalGear41
I know very little about it, but this guy obviously does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsI2I5UIZ8k

Evidently, the ToneInProgress 3rd Hand Pedal he mentions is a very close approximation of it:

http://www.toneinprogress.com/

It would be really freakin cool to get hold of one of those. Wonder how it would sound in metal... Those are very rare so it is pretty much impossible to find one.
Quote by gregs1020
you may want to send a private message to bostonrocks, he is a member here and has a fair amount of smarts on sholz stuff as well. he just doesn't post here as much anymore.

Thanks, I will if I want to know something!