So I just came up with this progression yesterday but I can't figure out what scale to play over that last chord, I don't even know what the chord's name is. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what the name of the chord is and what scale suits it best

--0----0----0----5----
--7----7----3----5----
--7----4----4----7----
--5----5----2----8----
--7----6----3----9----
------------------------
F#7#5#9 or F#alt

Strumming away on that progression and it sounds like it wants to resolve to Bm. I would use the F# altered scale over it.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 9, 2011,
To me it sounds like it resolves to E minor. I would see the progression as:
Em9 - Emmaj9 - Cmaj9 - some kinda D maybe? (Dadd9addb13)

The progression is fairly diatonic, so using the E minor would work when you watch out for that accidental D# and A#.
Quote by zakatak9389
Thanks man I appreciate it, f# alterted scale fits perfectly with that

Fixed
Quote by mdc
Fixed

if it resolves to B minor, why would you play a scale based on F#? this is what these arguments are all about.

it's 3:30 AM here. i'll try this tomorrow.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
if it resolves to B minor, why would you play a scale based on F#? this is what these arguments are all about.

CST. It's still in B Minor, but you're using the F# Alt. scale to help you visualize what notes go good over the particular chord.
Quote by deHufter
Am I the only one hearing E minor?

No. Again my "instinct" like in the Name That Chord Thread lol, was Em. I can hear how it could go either way.

It's just that the F# chord is so tense, I feel a perfect cadence would suffice... but this is the TS's progression. Who knows where it will go next?

In addition to the altered scale, Phrygian Dominant scale would also sound good, and would make more sense, since it is the 5th mode of B Harmonic Minor.

Quote by AeolianWolf
Wise.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 9, 2011,