Why and how does it happen? Q_Q
and how do I prevent this?
My guitar's fretboard was a little "warped" when I saw it after 2 months. << I was grounded.

Thanks,
Temperature change and humidity mostly. When wood changes temperature alot it warps. I guess excessive tension on the neck could do it too.

As for prevention... try to keep it away from big changes in temperature. And you can adjust the truss rod a little to fix it. If it has an "S" curve, I don't know. Take it to a shop then I guess.
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
Last edited by THEdevilYOUknow at Sep 8, 2011,
you got grounded from guitar for 2 months?

EDIT: What did you do?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
You got grounded from your guitar? That should be illegal in all states, countries, and on all continents, and punishable by a lifetime in maximum security prison, and mandatory Big Bubba sessions! I mean, WTF is wrong with people!
Last edited by Stryker636 at Sep 8, 2011,
if you know you;re going to be away from the guitar for that long, wind the strings down, fast fret or lem-oil the neck and keep it in a case somewhere that doesn't change temperature regularly (cupboard/attic/basement/under bed-away from direct sunlight etc).
As for warping, take it to a shop, you are likely to do a tonne more damage trying to fix it yourself.
Quote by jasonpsmith_87
if you know you;re going to be away from the guitar for that long, wind the strings down, fast fret or lem-oil the neck and keep it in a case somewhere that doesn't change temperature regularly (cupboard/attic/basement/under bed-away from direct sunlight etc).
As for warping, take it to a shop, you are likely to do a tonne more damage trying to fix it yourself.

Actually, my parents hid it while I was out of the house. Then they told me I was grounded. I didn't even know what I did.
I found out that they put it in their room, which is like much colder than my room. :/
My guitar was in a hard case by the way.

You mean you can actually FIX warping?
Quote by MaddMann274
Actually, my parents hid it while I was out of the house. Then they told me I was grounded. I didn't even know what I did.
I found out that they put it in their room, which is like much colder than my room. :/
My guitar was in a hard case by the way.

You mean you can actually FIX warping?

your parents hid your guitar? and you did not go on a raging butt-raping killing spree while setting everything on fire? i would.

maybe we should talk to your parents. get them in front of the pc.
Quote by vince1991
your parents hid your guitar? and you did not go on a raging butt-raping killing spree while setting everything on fire? i would.

maybe we should talk to your parents. get them in front of the pc.

Kids. I'd beat you like a step child if you did that crap.

Anyways, TS, it depends on how bad the warpage is. You might be able to humidify or dehumidify it back in place, or you might have to rip it off and reset it. Depends.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Kids. I'd beat you like a step child if you did that crap.

well, come over here and spank me then.

TS, how old is the guitar? and was it expensive? i only know what i read about warping, sometimes it can't be fixed. i guess the warranty is expired? (if you had warranty)
Quote by vince1991
well, come over here and spank me then.

TS, how old is the guitar? and was it expensive? i only know what i read about warping, sometimes it can't be fixed. i guess the warranty is expired? (if you had warranty)

Let me go get my ugly stick you brat.

*wack*

*scratches another notch in the ugly stick*

That'll teach you.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Let me go get my ugly stick you brat.

*wack*

*scratches another notch in the ugly stick*

That'll teach you.

* exhales mighty screams of pleasure while ethan's_anus violently spanks ass wearing nothing but a leather g-string and a bunny-ear mask' *
Quote by vince1991
* exhales mighty screams of pleasure while ethan's_anus violently spanks ass wearing nothing but a leather g-string and a bunny-ear mask' *

I didn't know you leaned that way, let me go get my buddy tiny, he'll do a better job of it.
haha oh no not tiny! i'm out of here. fretboard warping is dangerous business
Quote by vince1991

2 years old. yep, a 1000 bucks. The warping isnt that serious, I mean there is only little bits. :/ Warranty is expired aswell.

How exactly do they fix warping? They fill the holes or something?
Go all out raging on them, tell them they broke your guitar and that they must pay for the repairs, whether that means getting a replacement guitar or not.

And why, for the love of god, did they not take your amp away instead ???
Quote by Lord_Doku
Go all out raging on them, tell them they broke your guitar and that they must pay for the repairs, whether that means getting a replacement guitar or not.

And why, for the love of god, did they not take your amp away instead ???

Can't you guys just answer my question?

Why would they take away my amp? I had no guitar. So with a amp alone how am supposed to play anything?
Because without an amp, you can't really play what you want, can you ?

And I don't know how they fix fretboard warping. It could be that they put your guitar under a heat treatment and bend the fretboard back into place. Then again, they could also say that they need to slap a new fretboard on it.

Lot's of options.
Quote by MaddMann274
Does fretboard warping affect the tone? Does it affect anything at all?

All it could do is affect action, fret buzz, and maybe, if it was bad enough, intonation. You could have a fret leveling job done to it to compensate for the warping, if it warped your frets with the board.
ok quick, basic reply as per your request.

Can you fix warping?- Yes, depending on how bad it is. Frets can be levelled, grain can be (expertly) filled, inlays can be reset.

Should you fix warping? Not by yourself.

Will a good repair shop fix it? If it's worth the hassle and wont **** up the guitar then maybe. A GOOD repair shop will tell you what is best for the guitar, not what is best for their hours or your wallet. Might be a case of rip off the fretboard and whack a new one on (it's a little more refined than that). In that case....

Is it worth it? IMHO Not really. If it's truly ****ed and the guitar isn't massively expensive; Consider a new one. If it's a bolt on neck and you love the look of the body, see about maybe getting a new neck. Hell you could buy a custom made neck and truly make your guitar yours for the price of paying a luthier to fix a badly warped one. (see warmoth or stewmac if you are brave enough to DIY)

What should you do with yours? Who knows. Without a picture we cant really help with specifics. Find a good luthier or repair shop and level with them. Repair guys know their shit and a true professional wont give you the hard sell, just advise what is right and best for the instrument.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and make your parents pay for it. If they don't, go take a wing mirror off the car or spill a coffee over the computer/tv/hifi see how they like it. PLain irresponsible of them to take punishment out on an instrument. they could have just cut your strings, at least they are easily replaceable.

Worst thing my 'rents ever did was when i was real young i went away to scout camp (yeah, i was a scout, so what) and the glue on my 1950's Hofner gave up the ghost and neck came away. My dad, not having a clue, took it to landfill. There are only about 100 of these guitars left. FML.