Hey guys,

I've taken a look around the forums for a topic that would cover this specific issue, but it seems I could find none. I have a second hand ESP MH-1000 currently equip with some Seymour Duncans of some sort no idea which, but they are not quite the metal tone I'm looking for. To give you guys the jist of what kind of tone im looking for think Death (the band.) I love playing rhythm guitar but as of late I have been trying to solo much more and I find that the Seymours aren't very clean (perhaps its just my playing.) In any case I've been looking at Dimarzios and EMGs as they seem like the obvious choice but to be honest I have no idea.

Skip the above if you are too lazy xD. I am looking for a pickup with a great metal tone (like the band Death and I know they used Dimarzio X2Ns.) My guitar has a mahogany body. Yup...thanks for the help in advance .
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Thanks for the help. By the way would you mind clarifying for me what more "output" means? Does it mean it will be more distorted? Louder?
Quote by nskhuri
Thanks for the help. By the way would you mind clarifying for me what more "output" means? Does it mean it will be more distorted? Louder?

louder/ it will push your amp more
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

So it doesnt necessarily mean that it will have extra noise right? Because that's a worry of mine as at the moment my soloing isn't so clear, but I'm working on it. In any case I really don't want more buzzing in the background. Will more output do this? Or is it basically just volume?

Thanks
Quote by nskhuri
So it doesnt necessarily mean that it will have extra noise right? Because that's a worry of mine as at the moment my soloing isn't so clear, but I'm working on it. In any case I really don't want more buzzing in the background. Will more output do this? Or is it basically just volume?

Thanks

I don't think higher output will give a lot of buzz
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Ahh it's too hard to decide man I don't quite know what I want to improve so I cant really choose a new pickup. I just want a well rounded metal pickup (good harmonics, decent distortion, high output, and clarity.) Anyone have experiences with Dimarzio?
Ok what I've been thinking is, Seymour Duncan Blackouts (of some sort) or Dimarzios of any kind! Omg there's just too much to choose from. I need help xD.
don't forget that your amp has a lot to do with your tone too
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I know, atm I'm using a Line6 Pod Studio UX2 with Podfarm 2.5. It works fine for my purpose until I join a band. But I was really hoping someone could get me out of these Seymours...I hate them. Do you think that the Blackouts by SD are better than any of the Dimarzios? I prefer clarity rather than a lot of distortion. I want to avoid as much extra noise as possible. God damn it I think I'm just gonna follow Chuck and get some X2Ns....
If clarity is more important than output, try a Dimarzio Steve's Special. Dimarzio calls it a 'high output' pickup but it's really more of a medium-hot pickup. It's super clean and articulate even with a lot of preamp gain. Any humbucker made by a company with the reputation of Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan shouldn't be noisy. Although a pickup change won't do as much as you want playing through a Pod. Any digital multi fx unit is gonna be less affected by a pickup change than a decent amp.
The X2N is really good, but you have to use them right. Make sure it's seated low in the socket. If it's too close to the strings it sound muddy and not clear at all.
Do you think that if Chuck Schuldiner had the options from Dimarzio he had today that he would change from the X2N? Are they the best Dimarzio pickup for that style of music? I also heard that the D-Activators are pretty good as well.
Don't worry about what Chuck Schuldiner uses, or anyone else for that matter. There's no "best pickup" for any style. It just depends on what you like, and you just have to try different things until you find what you like. Unfortunatley you have to buy a pickup to try it. D-Activators are just dimarzio's version of active pickups. Probably not really much different from the various Livewire or EMG models out there.
I use EMG 81 85 combo in my guitars and i have them wired to an 18V Setup. Many ppl have asked me what i used because of the sound of my guitars. Its nothing new or extravagant but i have a very cheap ibanez (korean made) which i did the 81-85 18V conversion in and even that sounds incredible. Its personal taste but i have always used the EMG actives and have always been very happy. Im not about to change put it that way.....
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Bareknuckle Painkiller or Aftermath, metal, and everything else.

This. BKP \m/ Im saving up to put bkps in all my guitars.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Many people recently have thought that the Seymour Duncan Blackouts were 'better' than the EMG 81/85 (for example) combo. Personally I still prefer passive pickups so if it was an active tone you were searching for I would suggest the Dimarzio D-Activators.

If you want something that is more clear the Steve's Special bridge would be a good choice. Did you want a bridge and a neck pickup replacement? If so throw a Liquifire in the neck and you'll be sorted
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I've been looking at Bareknuckle pickups recently they seem interestng. I like the sound of the Warpig, Aftermath, and Painkiller although I am unsure which one would best suit a progressive melodic death metal playing style. Any suggestions?

As for Dimarzio's there are just too many choices...I just want a tight tone that's not everywhere at once when I put on high gain. I want something that will sound great for fast riffs (as in Death) but also not screaming during solos, something more laid back than the EMGs.
Hey I got two questions here (one stupid xD.) First, how long do passive pickups last (as long as you don't break them) and do top quality metal passive pickups still not cancel as much as an active pickup (EMG, SG Blackout, Dimarzio D-Activator.)
^ Prolly the Painkiller, its a very tight pickup, has a tight low end, good mid spike, and nice highs, it's designed mainly for djent style music, but does everything else like a charm.

Passives and active pickups will last forever if you take care of them, it's just wire wrapped around a magnet, nothing to really go wrong.
Wire wrapped around a magnet then vacuum sealed which adds to the protection. If you treat them with care they will last 'forever'. A great example is a 1959 Les Paul.

Dimarzio D-Activators are passive pick ups TS, just to make it clear.
Also the set I said earlier probably would do what you wanted. BKP's if you can afford them are pretty much the best pick ups for metal in the world however. Ethan_hanus seems to know his shit about them too so listen to him.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Actives are quieter. Theres no argument to that. BUT the D-Activators are passive and really are not as quiet as EMG and Blackouts. If your playing Progressive I really don't suggest active pick ups though.

The war pig might not be the best for progressive, but would kill for every other kind of metal because it's so damn hot, some say its actually higher out put then an emg 81. (Do not get warpig if your guitar is mahogany! way to muddy not clarity)

The Painkiller is great but more of a Djent pick up.

The aftermath has the least output but will most likely be the best for Prog to Death metal.

If you decide Dimarzio, I'd try a Crunchlab. It's not the highest output they have but it suits the sound you seem to be looking for.

Output is really over ratted. I've personally found from being a Blackouts fan for so long that all that output s really unneeded. As long as you have a high gain amp you don't need that much output. Owning my les paul has shown me you need more output then the average P.A.F style pick up but not a crazy amount.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate your advice. I think I will save up for one BKP for the bridge, probably an Aftermath or Painkiller. Two questions again :S:

1. What would be a good neck pickup for cleans, something that would make clean intros sound smooth (hence not so much treble but not an overwhelming amount of bass)?

2. I forgot
Would you want the neck pickup to also be a BKP?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
ok i dont know why the heck everyone is showing you what pickups you should get. you have nice pickups already. what you really dont like the sound of is your pod farm software. you shouldnt upgrade pickups until you upgrade your amp. right now it's just a waste of money. you might get a good amp realize you dont actually need a pickup change. the pickups you have are fine for metal. i promise
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
1. A good one (the brands you're looking at) lasts decades.

2. No. A passive pickup is just as good as an active pickup, in noise canceling and otherwise, in my opinion Passives are much better than Actives.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I don't know, I guess I'll take my guitar to a store and test mine and a guitar equipped with some metal pickups and see if I need an upgrade. As of now I don't think I will need an amplifier until I get into a band which might be soon or a long way from now. Podfarm is what I have to live with xD.
The neck pickup wouldn't have to be BKP, just something with the tone I described.
Also anyone know how I can check the model of my SDs? It doesn't say it on the pickup.
The bridge pickup will be a JB and the neck probably a 59 although possibly a Jazz. InanezGuitars44 makes a damn good point though. They are pretty awesome pups and we have all lost sight of that. Maybe when you go to said guitar store, take your guitar with you and ask to plug in to some amps.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40