Are chromatic exercises good for practising legato? What other exercises can I do to improve my legato technique?
Try playing songs legato. Much more fun than boring 1-2-3-4 exercises!
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I recently 'made' legato friendly versions of all of my scales and practice routines and it has deeply improved not only my legato but overall fluidity, so I'd do that.
Chromatic exercises for legato are great, but it´s one of the harder exercises if you havent got good strength in your fingers. I started off doing trills with all fingers, then moved on to scales, then to chromatic 1-2-3-4 style of stuff. A good one is like this

E string:5h6h78, then move to A string: 5h6h7h8p7p6p5.
Then back to the E string: 8p7p6p5h6h7h8. Then move up one string and repeat.
Do whatever you normally do but do it really really slowly. Slow practice is particularly effective for legato playing as it really forces you to make sure that your hammers and pulls are consistent and getting good attack on the strings. If you can do legato very slowly then getting it up to any kind of speed is easy.

Also make sure you practice more than just long flowing lines; being able to switch up legato and picking on the fly is an awesome skill that can really add flavour to a line by adding pick attacks and accents in the right places. It also helps if you end up doing more Paul Gilbert style licks where there are a lot of string changes; if you're used to adding in pick attacks then it's easier to use those attacks to change strings as well as accent beats.

Finally: do a fair bit of practice on one string, doing that forces you to be able to add slides in the right places to get in position shifts without picking again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've always found that legato doesn't get that strict 4/4 feel when I use it. So a combination of legato and picking is best for me. Although, I know that's not what you asked.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by fretmaster13
I've always found that legato doesn't get that strict 4/4 feel when I use it. So a combination of legato and picking is best for me. Although, I know that's not what you asked.

That's your problem, getting a very tight time feel out of legato is more more difficult than getting the same out of picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Do whatever you normally do but do it really really slowly. Slow practice is particularly effective for legato playing as it really forces you to make sure that your hammers and pulls are consistent and getting good attack on the strings. If you can do legato very slowly then getting it up to any kind of speed is easy.

Also make sure you practice more than just long flowing lines; being able to switch up legato and picking on the fly is an awesome skill that can really add flavour to a line by adding pick attacks and accents in the right places. It also helps if you end up doing more Paul Gilbert style licks where there are a lot of string changes; if you're used to adding in pick attacks then it's easier to use those attacks to change strings as well as accent beats.

Finally: do a fair bit of practice on one string, doing that forces you to be able to add slides in the right places to get in position shifts without picking again.

^ what he said.
you need finger strength for sure but you can develop more than enough finger strength in your first year. After that... it's more about accuracy, technique and relaxation.

I like to take a difficult legato part that i can't play at normal speed - then practice it perfectly and slowly so every note sounds flawless, with very little strain or effort in my hand.
Do that for a while and your legato chops will improve noticably.
hope it helps.
Quote by cringer
^ what he said.
it's more about accuracy, technique and relaxation.

with very little strain or effort in my hand.

Do that for a while and your legato chops will improve noticably.
hope it helps.

This in particular. Good shout.
Quote by pasnu
Are chromatic exercises good for practising legato? What other exercises can I do to improve my legato technique?

No, they're useless - because in a practical situation you're hardly ever going to want to play legato chromatics, you'll want to be using wider, more musical intervals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com