So, I'm kind of shopping around right now for an Ibanez with a stop tail piece and right now I'm looking at the RG471. The body of this guitar is made of ash. I don't like the pickups that come stock, so I'm planning on ordering some pickups to upgrade to. I chose the RG471 because I want the tonal options that extra single coil in the mid position gives me, but I'm not absolutely happy with the ash body just because I don't have any experience with humbuckers in an ash body.

I'm thinking about putting a set of DiMarzio 'The Breed' pickups in neck and bridge, but don't have any clue what I want to put in the middle. I would like some suggestions, or if anyone has any other suggestions for the neck and bridge that would be awesome as well.

I will be playing mainly heavy rock, and several subgenres of metal. Occasionally I will want to play some clean stuff on this guitar. I plan on setting it up with 11's and D standard tuning, occasionally in drop C. I'm open to any pickup suggestions but for passives I've really learned that I prefer DiMarzio over just about everyone else. Active pickups are not an option because I'm not doing any routing, and I'm not especially fond of active pickups.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
I just put a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in my Hagstrom Swede, and they have renewed my love for playing guitar.I've been able to g They were expensive (mine were $320 with pickup covers, but you can get them uncovered for like $280), but they really are worth the money in my opinion. They produce open, chimey clean tones, and the distortion can go anywhere from blues to metal. If you'd be willing to shell out the money, then that's what I suggest.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Quote by LukeBTH
I just put a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in my Hagstrom Swede, and they have renewed my love for playing guitar.I've been able to g They were expensive (mine were $320 with pickup covers, but you can get them uncovered for like $280), but they really are worth the money in my opinion. They produce open, chimey clean tones, and the distortion can go anywhere from blues to metal. If you'd be willing to shell out the money, then that's what I suggest.

The Hagstrom Swede is mahogany, and the Ibanez is ash. My concern comes in because I'm not as familiar with good pickups for Ash bodies. Also, I'd really like to find a good single coil for the middle position.
if you want something not quite as bright Breeds probably aren't a terrible idea. Single coils? I dunno.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
an HS-3 really goes great with Breeds. You can also keep an eye on eBay for a Breed singlecoil. You can't buy them, as they only come installed in Breed equipped Jems--but you may get lucky and find one.
Oh, frack! But, I didn't say frack--I said "THE" word. The F-dash-dash-dash-dash word.
Anybody with any input on pickups would be great. I can't find any single coil breeds.
Apparently according to spectre13 (above your last post) an HS-3 goes well with Breeds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What kind of ash is it? Some kinds of ash are balanced-sounding like alder but others can be quite bright-sounding, almost like maple. If you have the regular balanced-sounding ash then you can use pretty much any pickup you want, just think of it like alder. If you have the harder, brighter-sounding ash then you'll definitely want to use something overwound like Breeds or something smooth for the single coil like a alnico II pro.