Yet another which amp thread.

I won't lie, I've made a couple of these threads in the past. But, I can actually afford an amp now!

I'd like to stick around the $650 USD mark, new or used is fine. I would prefer a head, but a combo is not entirely out of the question. I need tubes, and not el-84s. This amp will be for home use, maybe occasional jamming and recording. I play many styles varying from bluesy to classical to metal. Really just experimental. I am in the Oklahoma City area.

I have a few things in mind, I'd love to hear your takes on these and any other suggestions you have.

My ideas:
Egnater Tweaker 40W (or 15W)
Rivera Knucklhead
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Bogner Alchemist
Fender Twin Reverb

I've been able to find all of these for $650 or under.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
my vote goes to the tweaker 40, but as always play before you buy. and the 40 over the 15 so youd have some flexibility for bedroom, venue etc.

and if you want the reverse of the tweaker, id say go for the fender.

tweaker gets all its sounds from the amp itself, for the fender id say use it as a clean platform and use pedals for the metal drive youd want especially.

and thats just out of your list. of course there are alot of options used. what type of metal bands/sounds are you influenced by? just because the lower gain sounds are easier to do, and metal sounds are the most demanding, to help us aid in your search.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
As far as metal goes, Mastodon, All That Remains, Wintersun, Opeth, and Arsis are among my favorites.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
the tweaker should get you there. i might need a boost. honestly i havent played one myself yet, but if its anything like the original tweaker(which i have played and do want to get when i have the money), it should at least get you real close, especially depending on what pickups you have and what tubes you have in. at least for the opeth wintersun, mastodon, all that remains stuff, arsis type might need a little more. egnaters have some of the best cleans out there imo, and very nice warm distortion.

im not as familiar with them, but in terms of gain the bogner and rivera should be more than enough.

curious, why no el84s? what about el34s?

EDIT: ^yeah i was going to mention that, the v3m is most likely my next purchase, but everytime i bring them up so far everyone complains about the lack of information since they are so new.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by Hunter44
All your choices are good

add carvin v3m to the list

Yes, Carvin makes very good stuff for fairly cheap prices. It'll get you that heavy metal sound for sure.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
a fender Twin is great for clean stuff but not a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination. a tweeker 15 uses el-84s. why no el-84s?
Honestly, the extreme metal sound is not so important for me. I'm fine using pedals to achieve heavier sounds. The more I look, the more I lean toward the Rivera. Does anyone know much about them, its the 55W version?

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place on this one. The amp I want needs to be able to get clean, that's the most important... the grit is second.

I've used and used and used el-84s and I just don't like them when I compare the sound of them to the sound of more robust tubes.
As I peruse all of ampdom I come across the Sovtek Mig. Does anyone have experience with this Russian beast?
The tweaker SUCKS, don't waste your money. It will be versatile, but mediocre at everything. I say try the traynor, I would suggest a peavey classic because it is the best affordable amp that is not only very versatile but sounds good. Amd I've played them all.

But it has el84s
ergh....hate to be this guy but....bugera 333xl? *ducks*
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you can get a Rivera Knucklehead on that budget I'd go for that.

Also check out the Jet City Amps JCA50H, or the JCA100H.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hm... Check out a Peavey Ultra Plus or a JSX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just in case anyone may be wondering which amp I got or if I even got one, I ended up buying a Fender Supersonic 60W 112. I think I'll be very happy with it. Need to start working on obtaining some pedals to compliment it. I've got a Russian Big Muff Pi to start with... Can't wait til it gets here.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I appreciate the input.
Sweet choice. Almost got one myself, but I'm a sucker for British tones, so the Super was a no-go for me. Interested to find out if they're good platforms to build tone on top of.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That Rivera is in a completely different league from the other ones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com