Poll: do you listen to old music? do you find it creepy?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you listen to old music? do you find it creepy?
I do find it a little eerie..something about it
22 45%
I love old music and I don't find it creepy at all
9 18%
I find old music crappy, so that's scary in a way I guess
1 2%
It's no more creepy than bands we have today
12 24%
The oldies are much better than all the crap we have now
5 10%
Voters: 49.
Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-S3uoeTXg&list=FLCdITz5zYiN8VpE1iw-vN2g&index=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7AZIvDD5Lw&list=FLCdITz5zYiN8VpE1iw-vN2g&index=3

something about old music is absolutely terrifying. maybe its because how trippy the world was back then..or maybe its because of how poorly recorded it was and the crackle and hiss add to the ambiance. who knows. something about it is creepy though
Last edited by killjoy_bentley at Sep 8, 2011,
I have no idea why either, but I agree somewhat.

And it's awesome.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
I'm a total metalhead, but I have to admit - this old stuff RULES! Wouldn't listen to it a lot but it's still awesome.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Probably because it's been associated with horror films many times and you're just thinking of those moments instead of the actual song itself.
pinga
A big bulk of my listening comes from old recordings like that, so the haunting-ness that i used to hear isn't there anymore.
Came in here to post the Ink Spots
That's just associated with Fallout 3, which is creepy in itself.

I guess it's just conditioning like that
Old things we know nothing about are creepy. Nothing scary about a brand new apartment complex that isn't lived in yet...but a long abandoned warehouse or hospital...
Quote by genghisgandhi
It's because it's used a lot in horror movies.

EDIT - cb4

like ol times, eh?
pinga
Quote by tortilla

pipe organs are the scaryest instrument ever.

yes in the first vid TS posted the piano reminded my of resident evil. don't know why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSxQi1I8mI
this gives scary old stuff a new dimension
Last edited by vince1991 at Sep 8, 2011,
Well the first one is from a castrano singer, which is singers that were castrated before puberty.

The second is from Fallout 3! Anyway, the overall creepiness is from the lower standards of recording and sound that were around in those days
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by BigBigWater
When music was music and not shitting on instruments.

i know those
are two of my
favorite songs
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
OMG YES! I was layin in bed watchin Family Guy, the episode where Stewie kills Lois, and the part where Herbert is outside Chris' bedroom window with the record player, and it plays "lets have another cup of coffee, lets have another peice of pie"...God I found that to be soo creepy (not even cause of Herbert.
Same thing happens when Peter introduces Conway Twitty on a couple episodes
Quote by BigBigWater
When music was music and not shitting on instruments.

just curious, but would you care to elaborate? this could mean a number of things.

also, this guy is pretty creepy. not that old though.

also, maybe it has something with the fact that the music is old, like it's from an era that is more or less dead. like if you listen to music from the 20's, almost everyone is dead, especially the composer and performers of the piece. that's kind of weird.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 8, 2011,
I don't really relate to this at all, old music like this just makes me think of old timey videos and my great grandmother
Quote by Cb4rabid
Probably because it's been associated with horror films many times and you're just thinking of those moments instead of the actual song itself.

Correct answer.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by theogonia777
just curious, but would you care to elaborate? this could mean a number of things.

also, this guy is pretty creepy. not that old though.

also, maybe it has something with the fact that the music is old, like it's from an era that is more or less dead. like if you listen to music from the 20's, almost everyone is dead, especially the composer and performers of the piece. that's kind of weird.

Tiny Tim is the creepiest thing on Earth.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
Tiny Tim is the creepiest thing on Earth.

for sure.

also the first video in the OP is a castrato. that itself makes it creepy. o_O
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Because it was in Insidious.

inb4 I ALWAY THOUGH THIS!!

No you didn't.

ironically, i actually only know of the movie because of youtube comments about it from that song. and i think we've all thought that since the pilot of Spongebob Squarepants.
Quote by theogonia777
ironically, i actually only know of the movie because of youtube comments about it from that song. and i think we've all thought that since the pilot of Spongebob Squarepants.

I knew it from Spongebob first. But let's not pretend Insidious didn't exponentially increase the creepiness.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
I knew it from Spongebob first. But let's not pretend Insidious didn't exponentially increase the creepiness.

i really don't know a single thing about Insidious other than it is a horror movie with a recording of that song in it.
First one was sort of creepy just because of the fact that the guy was castrated and his voice sounds really unnatural to me. None of the fallout music really creeped me out though, if anything its sort of calming (and makes for a great soundtrack for road-tripping through the desert).
Quote by killjoy_bentley

It's even creepier when you know what a castrato is
Quote by TheReverend724
It's even creepier when you know what a castrato is

isnt that when they cut your balls off before puberty?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Can't believe no one has mentioned BIOSHOCK! That game is pretty creepy and that first track from the TS reminds me of it a lot. Yeah, the second one is from Fallout also. The songs themselves aren't that creepy, they're just associated with things that we find creepy now days. I said creepy a lot in that paragraph... creepy.
Okay, the castrato recording is creepy because... well, it's a castrato. Not to mention the only recording ever made of one, over a hundred years ago.

And the other one, well, I'd say it's a safe bet you first heard it in the commercial/opening for Fallout 3, and that in itself was pretty creepy, so it kind of set the tone for this song in your head.
Page 1 of 2