Hi,
So I am looking at a japanese mustang on ebay, and wondering what it would take to get it. After buying it, would there be any potential fees? Could I avoid customs by having it declared as a gift, or is it too big? If I can't, how much would it be? Thanks for any help, I really want this guitar but am very nervous.
shipping costs will get you for sure. you're going to have to find out whether the company is willing (or able) to ship to you for starters. some makers do not allow certain models to be exported for a variety of reasons. a business usually won't mark an item as a gift as this is frowned upon by customs. you'd have to check with customs on whether there are import duties or other taxes.

i work in shipping and can tell you that it is very difficult to get around customs these days so make sure you find out exactly what the deal is.
Shipping from Japan on a guitar is usually around $130-150. It is very fast and quite safe. Unless the seller will declare the guitar at a low value you will pay customs duties. I believe under like $400 you are okay, but then if the guitar is lost are damaged you are SOL. It's a risk you have to be willing to take.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
The company is willing to sell to me, and says "we will do what we can to help with customs", so I assume they WOULD declare it as a gift...but I'm not sure it that's what I want to do. How much would customs be on it? It costs $1,200.
You didn't say what country your from but if it's the US then there will be no import duty. I just bought an Edwards from Japan and there was no duty. Declared value was $1350.
Quote by Finger Cramp
You didn't say what country your from but if it's the US then there will be no import duty. I just bought an Edwards from Japan and there was no duty. Declared value was $1350.

I am from the US. And I'm pretty sure how it works is just select packages are selected for customs.
I did a little research before I bought my guitar and I have never heard of anyone paying duty.
Quote by Finger Cramp
I did a little research before I bought my guitar and I have never heard of anyone paying duty.

That would be ideal, and it hopes it works out well. How was your guitar when you got it ? I assume it will need to be taken to be set up ? It's new from Fender Japan, if that makes a difference..sorry, I'm also a noob to buying new in the box guitars.
The item was packed very well. I don't know what vendor your buying from so I cant be specific. But my guitar came with a note saying that any damaged guitar will be replaced. Return shipping would be free. The guitar was perfect right out of the box. The action and intonation were perfect! I replaced the strings to my favorites and got busy. I would definitively do business with one of the reputable eBay sellers from Japan again. I also received my guitar from Japan to FL in 4 days!
Quote by Finger Cramp
The item was packed very well. I don't know what vendor your buying from so I cant be specific. But my guitar came with a note saying that any damaged guitar will be replaced. Return shipping would be free. The guitar was perfect right out of the box. The action and intonation were perfect! I replaced the strings to my favorites and got busy. I would definitively do business with one of the reputable eBay sellers from Japan again. I also received my guitar from Japan to FL in 4 days!

My main concern is the neck...would it need adjusted ? That is the one thing I am afraid to do. Who did you get it from ?
I bought it from Yashoohmusic1109. Any quality guitar you buy should have the truss rod set correctly.
If you're in the US--you won't have any customs fees.
Oh, frack! But, I didn't say frack--I said "THE" word. The F-dash-dash-dash-dash word.