Oh look. Its this thread again.

I've been playing guitar for about a year. I'm looking for an amp that I can play at home with, but also could jam with friends and even perform small gigs with. (Who isn't looking for an amp that does those things) I've decided that what I want is probably a tube combo amp, but I'm not exactly sure on the brand or the watts. I like to play punk, rock, and metal. I own an Epiphone Les Paul, and my budget is around 500-700, and is flexible.

So I've been wondering how many watts I should get. Again, I'll be playing in my bedroom, but would also like to jam with others, and hopefully even perform some gigs with it. As far as brands I've looked at Blackstar mostly, and the Venue Series Club 40 caught my eye.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Club-40-40W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-423768-i1521959.gc

Is that what I should get? I know there are lots of options out there, and if there are cheaper amps that will be on par with this one I'll take a look. So I really just need a variety of suggestions on what amp would most likely suit my purposes.

I know these threads probably get annoying, so I tried to get straight to the point.

I think a Marshall JCM900 would be a better choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dont do it. Amps are overrated
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
^^^ I've only had to replace my Behringer keyboard amp (with the Bugera speaker) once.

# of watts really doesn't matter as long as theres a master volume control.

You can always mic a low-wattage if it doesn't have enough juice for a club. And I can hear my 5w amp set to 1w over drums. But usually I use a 100w stack for all gigs--if it's a small venue then sometimes I'll bring a 1x10 cab instead of the 4x12.

100w heads are heavy, but most serious tube combos are heavier.

Don't get anything without auditioning it first.
On a serious note, there is some really valuable and credible info on these forums.
best piece of info is the following:

GO AND TEST AMPS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!! Everyone has an over-valued opinion on different amps and brands, but you need to make your own mind up. What sounds great and works for one, isnt necessarily good for another.

or you could just buy a 6505+ :-P

Quote by gregs1020

Well I will say its hard to make a suggestion when we don't know what kind of music you play. You could check out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. My buddy has one and I've heard him play live and also played it myself. These type of Fender combos do a good job at cleans and also do really well distorted with the right pedal (Fulltone Plimsoul sounds good with it). I think its a quality amp in your price range that will allow you to get a few different sounds so you can really find a direction in what you'd like to hear. Personally I use a Marshall 1959 live and when volume is an issue when practicing late at night, I use a Marshall MG50dfx (the old one). So from the most expensive, down the cheapest you can learn to coax good sounds from most anything. Another good way to decide is to research what gear is used by the artists and albums you like best.
Quote by Mase947
...Marshall MG50dfx ...

Brave.

That 10" cab I was talking about is actually an MG30dfx with the amp unplugged and a speaker cable jack plugged into the speaker instead.

It sounds OK like that, but even MFX can't get the mud out of it when playing through the builit in amp.

Your credibility is on the line here, Mase947 ;-)
The Blackstar is alright, but it's not a full tube amp. Despite what their advertising will tell you, they're actually hybrid amps.

You could check out the Peavey Classic 30, or perhaps a Jet City JCA50.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ibanez_guru
On a serious note, there is some really valuable and credible info on these forums.

GO AND TEST AMPS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!! Everyone has an over-valued opinion on different amps and brands, but you need to make your own mind up. What sounds great and works for one, isnt necessarily good for another.

or you could just buy a 6505+ :-P

That's probably the best advice I've received, and I plan on testing stuff out before purchasing. But right now I'm really just looking for suggestions since I'm not sure what to keep a heads up for in store. It looks like Blackstar and Peavey are popular choices, I'll have to give them a try.
For $500-700 you might be able to find a Mesa Rect-O-Verb combo if you're super lucky, and that would be ace. You might also like the Crate Blue Voodoo.
Too much amps with ss diode clipping near the start of this thread.

Jet city is worth a look.
Used Peavey tube ampz (not valve king though you can get better with yer budget used)
Erm it depends really
Quote by Raijouta
The Blackstar is alright, but it's not a full tube amp. Despite what their advertising will tell you, they're actually hybrid amps.

You could check out the Peavey Classic 30, or perhaps a Jet City JCA50.

These are excellent suggestions for the OP's style. I second this.
Okay, so I'm getting that Jet City, Peavey, and maybe Bugera? Would all be decent choices. Are there any particular models/watt versions that would be specifically good? I'm gonna probably check my local stores and see what they have to offer in these brands.
Quote by ibanez_guru

or you could NOT buy a 6505+ :-P

fixed

but yeah, the best way to shop for amps is to play loads and see what YOU like. we can only give you ideas as to what amps you should look into. like if you were asking for a metal amp then the suggestions would instantly be 6505, Dual Recto, JSX, Mark V but you shouldnt straight away choose one, you should play them and see which you like

a 6505 combo is a fairly good place to start tho for a tube amp, but it isnt that versatile. like i said, play it and see if its your cup of tea or not
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
You need a new amp brah
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by shredftw
fixed

but yeah, the best way to shop for amps is to play loads and see what YOU like. we can only give you ideas as to what amps you should look into. like if you were asking for a metal amp then the suggestions would instantly be 6505, Dual Recto, JSX, Mark V but you shouldnt straight away choose one, you should play them and see which you like

a 6505 combo is a fairly good place to start tho for a tube amp, but it isnt that versatile. like i said, play it and see if its your cup of tea or not

Quote by gregs1020