Im strongly considering replacing the floyd rose special in my guitar with an original floyd rose. I know the size specs are the same so everything should be fine on that front. Im confident i can replace the nut and the bridge but how should i go about replacing the studs? Are there any other gotchas i should watch out for?
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Last edited by JStraitiff at Sep 9, 2011,
im pretty sure the studs should pull right out, i would wrap a towel around them(to prevent damaging them) and use a pair of pliers

if necessary use a rubber mallet to get the new ones in
ummmm... wasting your time?

Is there something wrong with the special other than it doesn't say OFR on it?

I was thinking about replacing the LFR on my Schecter with an OFR, but I decided to use the money for a Sustainiac instead. And I've had no regrets--the LFR has held up great so far for 2 years+
Should i replace just the stud or both the stud and the insert? The insert isnt going to wear out i dont think. its not being rubbed on.

also, it wont stay in tune for shit. instead of spending the money on new springs and then later on having to replace the whole damn thing when the blade poops out, i am replacing it now so i can use the thing as something other than a fixed bridge without coming out of tune
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Last edited by JStraitiff at Sep 9, 2011,
Are your other FR guitars OK?

I haven't come across too many FRs that had real problems. It's almost always been bad setups or people not stretching the strings *completely* before locking down the nut.

If it's operator error you'll have the same problems with an OFR, too...if not more problems.

My first couple of months with a Floyd were pretty frustrating--I've been there and thought it was the hardwar. It turned out it wasn't, so please don't feel like I'm trying to condescend or anything.
I like the setup idea, and if you do replace it, there's no reason to replace the inserts as well as posts. (unless they dont fit obviously ) I always used a claw hammer with a coaster or shirt or something soft to protect the finish to pull them.
*insert witty statement here*
The only differece between an OFR and a Special are the saddles and block. Save youself the trouble and just buy a brass block and some steel saddles.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
And you know, the finish, the materials, the springs. You know those things.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Actually jackass, not really.

Metalfan is correct. You are wrong. The guitar needs a setup and for you to learn how to stretch the strings before locking the nut down.

Apart from that, the steel saddle and brass block will be the big differences.
TS, I did some lurking and now I wonder if you're trolling?

You once reviewed a Marshall MG head and gave it a 10?