I have listed locally my Peavey Classic 50 head, and Jet City 2x12 cab. I got a text today, offering me a Marshall JCM 2000 and some cash for both. He says it's 2 channels with "two kinds of gain", and that it's an orange edition. He also said he has a 4x12 Marshall 60a cab to go with it (probably for cash on my end). The only "Orange edition" of the head I can find was getting sold for $1200. I looked on his band's facebook page (he told me to check there for photos), and I know it's at least some kind of JCM, and it is indeed Orange.

So, I'm figuring this could go one of a few ways.

1. He doesn't know how much his head is worth, and I should go for it.

2. He's broken something major on this head, and is looking to abandon ship

So, I guess my questions are: Are they any editions of the Marshall JCM 2000 head that are Orange, but are not the Orange Crush edition? And if so, what would one be worth?

Edit: In the pictures on his band's website, his head does not have the "Orange Crunch") enblem that this amp has

http://i.pbase.com/g6/65/750065/2/76237470.8ek4Bzjo.jpg
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Last edited by souperman08 at Sep 9, 2011,
He might have just put new tolex on. and this
Quote by Just2Rusty
Can you check it out before you trade to make sure it's all legit?

Just go check it out
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Is there anything that I need to check for so I don't end up trading for a really heavy paperweight?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Bring the cab, plug it in, play test it, check all the knobs, CHECK THE EFFECTS LOOP! bring a pedal or rack to run through it! and just make sure everything works well and that you like the sound. If you dont like it, no deal. If its broke some how, if its fixable and you want it get some cash to in the deal for repairs.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Nah, just turn it up and see how it sounds. Chances are it needs tubes. Do you know what a tube sounds like when it's on it's last legs? It's pretty obvious on a Marshall, they just sound dead and lose all their depth. If it's just tubes then that's nothing, you'd have to do that eventually yourself anyway. You should always try your spare tubes in a new amp just to see how the originals are.

Oh yeah. Pots are the first to go on those. They go scratchy. They aren't expensive to change but it is a pain to do. You can often get more life out of them with contact cleaner but everybody has to change a few eventually. You have to lift the circuit board out to do it. Takes about an hour to do it if you know what you are doing, maybe 1.5 hours if you have to do many of them, could kill you if you know nothing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 9, 2011,
If it all checks out and nothing is broken/needs fixing, what would this head go for cash-wise?
Well, I'm in Australia so I'll pass this over to somebody in your country. (Which is what btw?)

PS. That link is broken in the OP.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 9, 2011,
Weird, link still works for me. What about this one?

http://www.blamepro.com/gifs/mar/gal/CRUNCHCA.gif

It's one of the first to come up when I googled "Marshall JCM 2000 Orange Crunch"

(Also, I'm in the US).
That just shows the corner. The permissions are wrong on the original link.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification