Hey guys. I'm looking to expand my band's sound with some bass effects. I was wondering what effects you guys would reconmend. I'm mainly looking for a bass distortion/fuzz pedal that's not too expensive, a bass synth pedal or a bass envelope pedal.
If it helps, I currently have a Dean Edge bass played through a Gorilla GB-30 bass amp from 1985. Thanks for your help!
I have the Boss ODB-3 and I like it. Also, you can never have too many EQ pedals.
Try out a black russian big muff its a great fuzz pedal you can find one for about 60$
check out bassfuzz.com theres a ton of them on there. all the big brands have a bass range now. get down to your local store and try some, what i like might not be what you like.
I love my GV-2. Yeah, it's for guitar, but it sounds awesome. Cheap, too. However, I do find myself eyeing up the ODB-3 every now and then.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I have an ODB-3 as well, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first fuzz. Hunt around for muff variants & clones that work well with bass. There's the bass muff (which has a clean blend) the tone wick one which lets you bypass the tone stack, then a ton of great clones. The Sanford and Sonny blue beard/GGG-tuned muff is the one I'm using right now and it blows my modded black russian muff out of the water on bass guitar (and everything else).

Filters are crazy numerous but cost limits your hunt: You can usually find old DOD FX-25 and FX-25B pedals for really cheap all over the place. There are a tone of DOD 440 clones floating around. EHX has the pretty cheap q-tron series. Source Audio has a bass filter that's insanely popular for only $120 new but I haven't tried it so I can't comment directly. I'm sure there are others, but most current production filters tend to be pretty pricey, so you'll have trouble on a budget even going used.

If you get a filter and a fuzz pedal, you can combine them (and throw in an octave pedal if you want) to get better synth sounds than you'll get out of most synth pedals. If you want to go the straight synth route, the behringer bass synth (a boss syb-5 clone) and the digitech bass synth wah are both pretty cheap new and dirt cheap when you find them used. I have a bass synth wah coming in the mail I picked up used for $20!
Heeey!! I had one of those Gorilla amps as MY first bass amp!

Go try stuff, honestly. There are so many different nuances withing the dirt world that it's beyond silly to textually reccomend you anything. Every fuzz/od/distortion pedal will sound different to different people, within band settings, through different basses, through different amps, and based on their location in a pedal train.

So... i also reccomed going to Bassfuzz and listening to everything. Your ears are better than any personal reccomendation we could give.

After that, go to a local store and bring your bass (and amp if you can) and try things out.

Just remember, what sounds good alone will sound completely different in a band setting. So, while it's fun to pretend your 'teh kliff brt0n', that OD effect gets completely burried in almost any band.

For every person that says, "OMG BUY A MUFF" you'll get another that says "EW DUDE, MUFFS SUCK".

I've owned probably 30 different fuzzes, just as many Overdrives, and maybe a dozen or so distortions... people on the internet are stupid as hell when it comes to this stuff. Trust your own ears.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Sovtek big muff accept no substitutes.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by dullsilver_mike
except for all the modified clones that do it better right?

no.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by SaintBento
Hey guys. I'm looking to expand my band's sound with some bass effects. I was wondering what effects you guys would reconmend. I'm mainly looking for a bass distortion/fuzz pedal that's not too expensive, a bass synth pedal or a bass envelope pedal.
If it helps, I currently have a Dean Edge bass played through a Gorilla GB-30 bass amp from 1985. Thanks for your help!

Sounds like you should upgrade your rig before buying pedals.

I recommend a Zoom B2 multi effects pedal, sounds great, cheap and acts like a catalog of effects for you to browse so you can choose which you ought to spend more money on.