I will be going off to college soon and music will have to take a backseat to some of my other priorities for the next four years. I want to be as equipment free as possible so I figured that an acoustic bass would work best. I had a few questions

1) Are acoustic basses loud enough to play along with an acoustic guitar and some vocals? No one is amplified. I met my roommates and one plays guitar and the other sings, so we thought it'd just be natural to jam.

2) What are some good acoustic bass models? I'm looking for something that will be loud (again, no amp) and durable. My budget is probably 400$ at the very most (200-300 preferred)

3) My technique consists of slapping, strumming, aggressive finger style, and sort of drumming on the strings. It kinda developed from having access to a bass before I consistently had internet, private lessons, or exposure to professional bassists. It's unorthodox but I love it. Will an acoustic bass make any of these more difficult than they were on my normal bass (Squier CV J-bass)
At your budget you're probably not going to find an acoustic bass that will compete with an acoustic guitar.
IMO you're better off just getting yourself a small amp.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
yea go for it! my buddy got an coustic bass by ibanez i think for about 300ish at guitar center and we jam all the time it sounds great and i can hear him well, too. plus some models are electric as well and u could get one of those honeytone amps for like 20$ just to mess around,,the amp can fit in a lunch box its that small.
\m/ ThrasH \m/
Quote by consecutive e
At your budget you're probably not going to find an acoustic bass that will compete with an acoustic guitar.

No budget allows for an acoustic bass that competes with an acoustic guitar, they don't exist.
Quote by Spaz91
No budget allows for an acoustic bass that competes with an acoustic guitar, they don't exist.

I beg to differ, but that certain acoustic bass is a Tacoma. Then again, it would be grand theft if you could find one around $400.

GRAYEDIT: OP, see if you can find a Tacoma Olympia bass. It's the cheaper version of the Thunderchief, but I've heard good things about it.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by Spaz91

I reckon the Warwick Aliens would have a fair go with the right set of strings. The Korean ones aren't too expensive, Graybass mentioned the Tacomas. They keep up pretty well.
Oh and aren't these things technically acoustic basses?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by JacoVictorKing
I will be going off to college soon and music will have to take a backseat to some of my other priorities for the next four years. I want to be as equipment free as possible so I figured that an acoustic bass would work best. I had a few questions

1) Are acoustic basses loud enough to play along with an acoustic guitar and some vocals? No one is amplified. I met my roommates and one plays guitar and the other sings, so we thought it'd just be natural to jam.

2) What are some good acoustic bass models? I'm looking for something that will be loud (again, no amp) and durable. My budget is probably 400$ at the very most (200-300 preferred)

3) My technique consists of slapping, strumming, aggressive finger style, and sort of drumming on the strings. It kinda developed from having access to a bass before I consistently had internet, private lessons, or exposure to professional bassists. It's unorthodox but I love it. Will an acoustic bass make any of these more difficult than they were on my normal bass (Squier CV J-bass)

1) Some are louder than others, but no; an acoustic bass guitar will not keep up with a strummed or plectrum-picked acoustic guitar (finger picking it can probably handle) or a singer that projects well.

2) I don't have much advice here other than stay away from the dean stuff. They're right in your budget, but they're not too sturdy and the QC is not good. I've tried a lot of the cheap peavys in various shops as well and have never been impressed.

3) Even if it's set up nicely, be prepared for higher action on an acoustic. It's not always the case, but most often is, so that will affect "drumming on the strings" and may slow your finger style down a bit. It's good for slapping though, and slapping will give you extra volume if you want to try to keep up with a guitar.

Acoustic is nice for dorm practice, and higher action + a giant bass body can get you in pretty good shape for when you hop back on electric.
I was always bummed out at the low volume levels of an acoutic bass... so i made one.

I spent a year as a dirty crusty punk train hopper dude. I met lots of rad folk-punks that all played acoustic guitar, fiddle, accordian... but all i can really play is bass. So i made one out of a water jug, a bridge, some wood, some screws... haha it took me like, 4 hours to make and it sounded awesome and loud enough to use with my friends for busking.

This video is preeeeeetty close to what i had, but mine was 4 string:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDN1UbFyVwQ
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
+1 on a smaller amp. If you like your bass, just get a mini amp or a headphone amp to jam with them. I practice without an amp a lot and I can hear my bass "acoustic" just fine. But as for an acoustic bass Ive never owned one. In stores they are very quiet though. I played a mexican 6string bass that had an awesome tone and was fretless, a bit louder but still wouldnt work for jamming with an acoustic guitar. Thats my $.02
Quote by Din of Win
I was always bummed out at the low volume levels of an acoutic bass... so i made one.

I spent a year as a dirty crusty punk train hopper dude. I met lots of rad folk-punks that all played acoustic guitar, fiddle, accordian... but all i can really play is bass. So i made one out of a water jug, a bridge, some wood, some screws... haha it took me like, 4 hours to make and it sounded awesome and loud enough to use with my friends for busking.

This video is preeeeeetty close to what i had, but mine was 4 string:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDN1UbFyVwQ

two words: BAD AZZ n_n
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
You might be able to find an upright bass that compares but an acoustic bass guitar you'll have some serious trouble at any price range
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E