I know there are heaps of similar threads on this but I own two Epiphones (les paul nightfall and sg prophecy ex) both with emg's. Now I was wondering what would be a better guitar to aim for? Im pretty much choosing either the Gibson Les Paul Studio or a LTD EC-1000. If I got the les paul and the stock pickups were rubbish i would definately invest on some active emg's. My budget is probably $1700 australian.
Sounds like this is a good time for the good old "try one before you buy one".
I've got a Gibson LP Gothic, which is essentially a Les Paul studio, and it kicks some serious ass for whatever you want to do really. Only downside is that it's kinda heavy. I don't know how the EC-1000 compares in weight though, since I haven't played one.

Anyway, what I really want to say is, I think both are probably about equal...just try both and see which one feels best to you.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
Sounds like this is a good time for the good old "try one before you buy one".
I've got a Gibson LP Gothic, which is essentially a Les Paul studio, and it kicks some serious ass for whatever you want to do really. Only downside is that it's kinda heavy. I don't know how the EC-1000 compares in weight though, since I haven't played one.

Anyway, what I really want to say is, I think both are probably about equal...just try both and see which one feels best to you.

the ec-1000 is a bit lighter because its got a thinner more comfortable body, only problem is a tiny bit of loss of sustain

Get a Gibson and stick some BareKnuckle pickups in it, that way you have the versatility of passive pickups but all the "chug" and "djent" of actives
For what you want the EC 1000 is better in my opinion... you woun't notice the tiny little bit of sustain loss, because of the amount of distortion and gain you will be using.
But try them out first.... ultimately your opinion must prevail over everybody's in this forum.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
The best guitar for anything is the guitar you play best on/ is most comfortable to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
the ec-1000 is a bit lighter because its got a thinner more comfortable body, only problem is a tiny bit of loss of sustain

Get a Gibson and stick some BareKnuckle pickups in it, that way you have the versatility of passive pickups but all the "chug" and "djent" of actives

the djent sound is really mostly using passives.

Anyway, TS... I would see if I could find an ESP Eclipse II.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Indeed. Even semi-acoustics can djent lol.

@OP: Try whatever guitar you want, as long as it has a humbucker. You could take a Epiphone G400 or a Gibson Les Paul Studio, it doesn't matter.

Metalcore is very much an 'amp-thing'.
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Sep 9, 2011,
Go for the EC-1000. It'll have a better sound for what you want. Also, I think the necks play much better than an LP.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Why would you want emgs in your new guitar if you already have two guitars with emgs?
Quote by fuzzpedal
Why would you want emgs in your new guitar if you already have two guitars with emgs?

Idk, maybe because EMG's give him the tone he wants?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I understand that but it just doesn't make much sense to me to have more than one or two guitars for the same tone, each time I buy a new guitar I like to pick one that will give me a tone that I couldn't get with the guitars I have otherwise I feel like I'm just wasting money on something that I really don't need.
Telling you right now that a Michael Kelly is the best money you could ever spend on a guitar for the quality. Try to find a Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe on eBay and switch out the pickups to your liking and you can't get much better.

Edit: I believe the guy on eBay selling them ships to Australia too. I just ordered my Hex Deluxe. I have a Patriot Vintage that is freaking amazing for only ~$400.

If you're dead set on getting a Les Paul body type, Michael Kelly has plenty available. I know I sound like I'm advertising, but they're just that damn good for the money. Here's the Patriot Vintage in one of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6yCsECFw0

Here's your lovely guitar http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-KELLY-Patriot-Premium-GUITAR-NEW-Tiger-eye-/140495035731?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b6281d53
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by fuzzpedal
I understand that but it just doesn't make much sense to me to have more than one or two guitars for the same tone, each time I buy a new guitar I like to pick one that will give me a tone that I couldn't get with the guitars I have otherwise I feel like I'm just wasting money on something that I really don't need.

I understand that. Neither way is right or wrong though. Personally, I like all of my guitars to be as identical as possible, because I like all of my tone shaping to go on in my amp/effects. The purpose of having multiple guitars for me is for backups/different tunings. I love EMG's because they give me a flat EQ to work with, something passives are horrible at doing. That allows me to shape my tone much more easily with my amp/effects.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i am going to have to say Gibby LP Studio over EC1000, now if it were Gibson LP Studio v. ESP horizon II, it would be a close call, i own six gibsons. and have owned 3 LTD's and all the LTD's are long gone. i use an SG for my heaviest tone, its got two 81's and just a switch to turn the switch to on/off and one that flips and kills the volume.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you got a budget of $1700 aus i would get the ltd from ebay because they're going for less than $1000 aus atm
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I think you might be interested in the EC-1000T or the EC-1000T/CTM. Both are full thickness as apposed to the thinner body of the EC-1000. I have both and the thicker bodies are a little sweeter sounding. The thicker bodies also only come with the 22 fret neck. Incredible guitar for the money. I bought mine for $650 US. If you need help I can buy it and ship it to you. I won't charge you anything.
Last edited by Finger Cramp at Sep 10, 2011,
I think the LTD is a really nice guitar to play, and absolutely worth the money
Just got the Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe. It's a high quality guitar. If you don't mind shorter frets, which I'm going to replace later on, it's the perfect guitar. Luckily it came set up perfectly, so it's not a big problem.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
If i had to choose I would go with the LTD. They have a more playable neck and have emgs already installed and are more metal sounding. But I already have a guitar with emgs so if I had the decision and the money I would get the LP studio to play classic rock on. But for you definitely the ltd for metal core
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272