so I'm the lead guitarist in a rock and metal band, we play covers of Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, MSG, etc, and some originals we are composing.

the thing is the drummer has left, so the rhythm guitarist had this crazy idea about his cousin being our new drummer, he is 11 years old (all the other members including me are between 18-20) I have never seen him playing, I'm going to do that next sunday, but the rhythm guitarist swear he is a really prodigious drummer for his age and that he totally can play the stuff we play and we don't know any other drummer who share our music tastes, that kid is really into metal, or at least I have heard that...

his parents are ok with him being in the band since they like rock and metal and they know we are "good guys" that doesn't do drugs, and that doesn't drink more than a couple of beers once or twice a month and we are not doing something bigger than a few small gigs now and then.

but what can I expect of someone so young joining in the band? any recomendation on how to make this work?, it is a good idea?

thanks in advance
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Last edited by andras67 at Sep 9, 2011,
Its a preatty open ended question, it really depends on the kid. If he's a good drummer and a cool guy then i dont see why it would be a problem but kids tend to have the attention span of a sponge so he might just loose interest all of a sudden and refuse to drum

See how he is, if hes good and not going to be a dick / bail on you then go for it
Also kids tend to be the worlds most effective ****-block so i wouldnt be expecting any if you decide to get him live haha!
So long as you all get along the biggest issue will be with playing gigs - if you're playing in pubs & clubs a lot of them may not let him in as he's too young.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by mr7string
Also kids tend to be the worlds most effective ****-block so i wouldnt be expecting any if you decide to get him live haha!

well me and the rhythm guitarist/vocalist are not expecting getting any, since we are in really serious relationships, I would be sorry for the bassist, but I have never see him getting laid at gigs so, it would not make a lot of difference.
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Sounds like it might work out in your situation, can't hurt to try.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by GaryBillington
So long as you all get along the biggest issue will be with playing gigs - if you're playing in pubs & clubs a lot of them may not let him in as he's too young.

yeah I know, it wouldn't be a problem, we almost never play gigs at pubs or club but at some small open air local scenarios.
Quote by Våd Hamster

No, not a good idea at all. NOT AT ALL.

Kids are horrible, with but a few exceptions, and the chance of him being such are low.

I'd say, try, but I'm generally against.
Just to say Carlos santana's drummer was 15....... Get him on those skins
Quote by leader
Just to say Carlos santana's drummer was 15....... Get him on those skins

...and am I right in thinking Cher used her son on guitar when he was only about 13 in the video for If I Could Turn Back Time?

I always thought it was weird for him considering what she was wearing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I wouldn't do it. I know 11 year olds, their attention span is not very high. As mentioned above, playing pubs and clubs are a definite issue, and even if you don't play them now, you don't want to cut off that means of gigging (considering that's where most gigs come from).

I'd just get someone closer to your own age.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
now think about this....

what happens when you start gigging and you are out to 12 to 1 am and this kid has to wake up and go to school at 7 in the morning....I'm sure his parents are going to love that idea!
11 is really young.

Also, there may be issues with venues. In some states, you can't have someone in the club if they're underage the age limit for the club, regardless. This is mostly an issue with bands who want to play somewhere with alcohol and have someone under 21 in their band ... but might be an issue.

Ultimately, though, 11 year olds are kids. Even a great-for-a-kid drummer isn't someone you necessarily want in your band.
Unless the 11 year old is like this girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyf7aWkYv1c&feature=channel_video_title

I wouldn't do it, because chances are the kid is mediocre (maybe your rhythm guitarist is over-exaggerating, due to the kid's age). Give the little kid a chance though, and audition him for the band before you fully decide to let him into the band. Ask him to learn a few songs for the meet next sunday. If he can't, then he probably won't be able to handle being in the band.

Also you'll be limited on where you can play to places that don't serve alcohol or allow people younger than legal drinking age.

And also, honestly speaking, there are going to be people who won't take you seriously because you have a kid playing the drums, unless he is seriously good, and not just an average drummer.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Sep 9, 2011,
Oh yeah, because I'm sure you would all LOVE to be known as "that band with the 11-year old drummer"
Quote by im_with_theband
Your G-string sounds funny?

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

Quote by Pregowski92
people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.
Quote by tagyoureit
An 11 year old child is too young to be in a band with college age adults.

Yeah. Theres just something creepy about it.