Hi all,

Currently I've just started recording with my new RODE NT2A condenser mic and I LOVE the sound quality. Previously I was recording with a Behringer stage mic (not quite sure of the model) and while it gave me good results, the NT2A blows it out of the water. As such, I'm re-recording vocal lines for a few songs and plan on mixing everything myself.

Firstly, here's my software and hardware that I'm using

Macbook Pro
Logic Express 9
Tascam US-122
Rode NT2A
Various guitars.

That's my recording set up. However, I recently purchased a set of Logitech Z-5500 to use with my PC and I have ACID Pro 7 on my PC.

My question is...

Would I be better off plugging my Z-5500 speaks into my laptop and mixing on there, or Rendering the tracks from Logic Express and loading them into Acid Pro to mix there?

Open to pros and cons for both too.
To me, it would depend on what software I was more comfortable with/could do more with. Personal choice I guess.
call me ziggy.
What kind of music are you mixing?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
@ earthisearthis

I was kinda thinking the same thing until I wondered weather or not I was looking quality from rendering one to the other. I'm familiar with Acid pro but the more I use logic the more I find that it has much more potential with proper use.

@ Sonny_sam

If you check out my profile you'll here two songs that I have/want to re-record the vocals and mix it properly. I've had mix opinions on what one of the songs would class under. I'd say rock/pop but this will vary as we have many others that are fairly different.
Honestly, you'd probably be better off mixing through headphones on the Mac than through those Logitech speakers, because stereo speakers are not meant to be used for mixing. They are not very flat and thus, your mixes won't translate well to other mediums, because you're mixing on a system that is very hyped and scooped in various regions to be more pleasing to the human ear. Your mix might sound good on that system, but moving it to something else might sound horrid.

Either way, I don't understand why you couldn't just plug your existing recording setup into the PC instead of recording to Logic and bouncing the tracks to mix in Acid?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Honestly, you'd probably be better off mixing through headphones on the Mac than through those Logitech speakers, because stereo speakers are not meant to be used for mixing. They are not very flat and thus, your mixes won't translate well to other mediums, because you're mixing on a system that is very hyped and scooped in various regions to be more pleasing to the human ear. Your mix might sound good on that system, but moving it to something else might sound horrid.

Either way, I don't understand why you couldn't just plug your existing recording setup into the PC instead of recording to Logic and bouncing the tracks to mix in Acid?

The tracks that I've got in my profile were songs (samples/unmixed properly) that I mixed using a headset (sennheiser HD250's). I found that although they sounded great in quality straight from my recording set up, I could get good pan combinations and levels. Everything sounded different playing it through a set of speakers. I can set my Z-5500's to a 2.1 sorta set up that caters for music specifically. I'm thinking I should try pluging my laptop out put straight into the Control unit of of Z-5500's (has a mic in and stereo in port on the side) and see how I go.

In answer to your other question, I USE to do my recordings on acid with my audio set up. Although it worked, I kept getting random and intermittent stutters or drop outs whilst having the audio playing when recording. It would still record the input fine, but because the output would stutter it would be quite off putting and usually result in frustration of timing etc... At some points it would skip whilst recording and that just f***ed recordings up constantly. I put it down to usb latency issues. That's the whole reason I bought a mac and honestly, NO troubles. clean recordings and output all the time. Haven't looked back for that reason.