I just saw Phish again for the first time in probably 14 years and I'm back to hooked on Trey's guitar playing. I've dabbled here and there trying to play a few of their tunes but I'm really struggling to get the right tone for starters.

I play through all tube equipment and use a Fulltone OCD overdrive. I know that I need a compressor to really nail his tone but besides that, I'm wondering what settings to put my OCD at for soloing AND rhythm playing. I'm thinking of getting a TS-9 to couple with the OCD at some point.

As far as technique, does anyone have any pointers or tricks that Trey uses?
Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Also, a friend told me that Trey often uses both humbuckers at the same time and turns the bridge one down a bit. Can anyone verify this? Also, if that's true, do you use the neck pickup's volume knob to bring it down from lead to rhythm playing?
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
you would need HIS gear just to get started. oh and cant forget Trey's hands. you will need those too, since the hands bring out alot of your tone as well.
You've been helpful! haha, I get all that. I'm sure there are people on here that can offer some suggestions though. My gear is in my sig and I can't really afford to buy anything right now, so I'm just trying to get close with what I have and I feel like I should be able to. Beyond that, I'm looking for help with his approach to improv and soloing.
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
I haven't a clue but if you're looking for a nice compressor try the Tonepress by Barber Electronics. It's by far my favorite stompbox compressor because of its versatility. I use it together with my OCD all the time

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As much as I'd like to keep this open since Trey's tone is among my favorites, by this forum's rules Phish are not considered classic rock. That said, here's a thread on another forum that has 22 pages worth of information that I'm sure will help you (there's a nice shot of his two TS-9s and Ross Compressor right there on the first page that will give you an idea of his settings): http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=547455&highlight=Trey

Here's another link with plenty of pictures and descriptions of Trey's actual rig (click on "details" for more info on everything listed): http://www.strangedesign.org/rigs/index.php

And one last link with a wealth of information on his setup: http://phish.net/faq/what-guitars-does-trey-play

Also, taken from that last link...

Compressor: Brad Sarno posted (1/20/98): "I hear so much talk about Trey's amp but really, for the most part his tone gets formed well before the amp. The most overlooked device of all is the Ross (not Boss) compressor pedal. In my opinion it is THE secret weapon of his tone. If you ever plug into one you will go "aaaaah". There is no other compressor that sounds like that. It is this pedal that lets Trey go from a single note to a full chord and have it all come out full and even and sustaining. His guitar doesn't really sustain that well, but with the compressor he can add sustain and also induce feedback easier. The key also is that the tube screamers come before the compressor. This lets Trey turn on a tube screamer, turn down the guitar volume to control the distortion level, and the compressor keeps the overall volume nice and loud and even. This is probably why he gets away with having the Tubescramer's volume on 10 without sounding so loud when he kicks it on. This evenness that the compressor provides, lets Langudoc keep him real hot in the PA without fear of suddenly getting too loud."
My personal advice with regards to what you have now would be keep to set up your OCD in a way that you can use the volume knob on your guitar to achieve all the levels of gain you need, but you should really also buy a compressor.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.