So how much better do the v30 cabs sound over the stock 6505 speakers? Guess I could always buy a couple v30s and install them into the combo, but having the extension cab would be more flexible (thinking about that new mini rectifier!).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm not sure how much better they will sound over the stock speakers but I imagine it will make a big difference. I have never had a problem getting a good sound out of any head with my Mesa cab w/ v30s.
/rig
The stock Sheffield speakers are very muddy sounding.
The Mesa cab will make your 6505 grow several more pairs of big big cohones,.

That said, just replace the speakers in the combo.

More than a V30, I would suggest trying Eminence Tonkerlites. There similar to a V30, but with less treble. Gets rid of the ice pickyness some people complain about with the 6505.
There also light, and the 6505 212 is a shit heavy amp so that should help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4hkAUztWw
Horrible quality but you get the idea
Yeah but replacing the speakers won't help me if I want to go with a head. Doubt I'd get the $300 more for the combo with v30s over the stock speakers.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Yeah but replacing the speakers won't help me if I want to go with a head. Doubt I'd get the $300 more for the combo with v30s over the stock speakers.

You could get them, put them in the combo, and when you sell the combo, take them out and put them into whatever cab you get. If you get speakers besides V30's, and get a V30 cab, you can run a potentially awesome 2x2 speaker setup.

Though if you're sure you want a quarter stack, I'll admit it would be way smarter/more practical to just get a 2x12 cab like you're planning.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I doubt I'd ever need more than a 2x12 anyways. Was up at the local store after work, they have 30day returns. So they said, buy the cab and if I don't like it, just return it I'll probably bite later this month and give it a try. Also a little interested in the mini recto. Wonder how the 1x12 cabs will be price-wise with the 2x12 as well.

The trip to the store might have cost me $600 tho, they have a used Ibanez rga121h-cdo at another store. Think I'll get them to bring it in for me!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i think its pretty popular to have a mesa cab with the 6505, couldn't tell you why really, but i see it on youtube and stuff all the time, so it must be something people like!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Next question, how would I hook the cab up? The external speaker jack does NOT have an impedance switch, so it's a minimum of 16 ohms. Anyone know what the internal speakers are wired at (8 or 16)? I'd rather just use the cab without the internals.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm pretty sure Mesas Recto cabs are 8 ohms
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"