I recently came across a potential craigslist trade for a set of DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. I don't really need them, but I'm a gear junkie so I'm thinking about picking them up and trying them in my Les Paul (at least the bridge, maybe the neck too).

Does anyone know what the spacing is on a 1957 reissue Goldtop Les Paul? It was originally made in 2004 if that makes any difference. I'd hate to grab these pickups and then find out I can't use them. I don't have anything else to put them in at the moment.

Also, any insight on the tonal changes of switching from the stock Burstbucker to a Super Distortion? The '57 Goldtop is a solid bassy hunk of wood. What would that sound like with a Super Distortion in the bridge (or neck)?

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I'm not sure, but I don't think the overall design has changed much since the original LP. The spacing should be the same for all of them. So make sure you find a full scale model and put a measureing tape to it.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
I read somewhere that certain Les Pauls require F-spaced humbuckers but other ones don't. That's where I'm confused...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Awesome, thanks for confirming!

Tone-wise how much a difference would it be? I play classic rock stuff like Zeppelin and AC/DC, 80's stuff like G&R, and modern stuff like the Foo Fighters, etc. I wouldn't mind having a hotter pickup in the bridge since I don't play a lot of clean stuff with the LP (I use my Strat for the cleans). But would a Super Distortion be too hot for the vintage stuff like Zep, AC/DC, etc?
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Yes, very much so. All those bands use low-output pickups, PAFs or T-Tops or Alnico II pros, which have about half the DC resistance of the Super Distortion. The tones for those bands come not from tons of preamp gain but from power tube breakup. If you can't play loud enough for that, an OD pedal is a decent idea, but I would not suggest such a hot/modern sounding pickup for your styles.
Maybe for Zeppelin, not for AC/DC. The Gn'R will be fine, Slash used some heavier sounding pick-ups, and the foo fighters should be fine, but all of their songs sound better on acoustic.

Why are you hiding?

Quote by DrakeTheOne
Maybe for Zeppelin, not for AC/DC. The Gn'R will be fine, Slash used some heavier sounding pick-ups, and the foo fighters should be fine, but all of their songs sound better on acoustic.

Slash uses Alnico II Pros, which are the lowest output humbuckers Duncan makes. Heavier sounds are not necessarily made with paint-peeling output from the pickups.
Ok cool. I'll probably pass on the pickups then. Thanks for the help!
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
... Yeah, but some of his stuff with Velvet Revolver sounds a bit heavier (ex. Slither). But I might be hearing more of Kushner in that one.
Well, Either way, you want your own sound not theirs. So go with what you want bro.

Why are you hiding?