Recently moved out of home and unfortunately can't take my half stack with me

Just looking for decent suggestions on low watt amps with good tones.

My style is hard rock/blues/classic rock. GnR etc.

Can anyone give me a few ideas?

Thanks
Quote by Ghold125
Budget?

Willing to spend a good bit on it if it's good.

High hundreds maybe.

Would it be possible for you to give me a bit of a spectrum, prise wise?
A fender frontman 15 is good, also a Spider 4 75. Both are realtively cheap, and will work well for the situation. they also have enough pick-up-and-go to get you through a small gig if you need them for it.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Personally, I like the Vox AC4TV, any version but the 8" speaker. It's got that raw, velcro-ish distortion that class A EL84s get, but anywhere up to moderate crunch it sounds awesome, and it's almost quiet enough to play in a college dorm at night. The Vox Lil Night Train is also nice--crunchier and tighter.

EDIT: I read your post as looking for a small, quiet amp. If that's not the case, there are dozens of better options, including that Laney.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Sep 9, 2011,
Peavey Classic 30, along with a few pedals could be a really nice setup for what you want.

Really though, we need a definite budget to give any real advice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If SS is not out of the question, I can recommend the Fender Mustang.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by xgunterx
If SS is not out of the question, I can recommend the Fender Mustang.

My experiences with Mustangs has been pretty good. in fact, Amps seems to be the only thing fender can do half-way decent.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Quote by Mad-Mardegan
Willing to spend a good bit on it if it's good.

High hundreds maybe.

Would it be possible for you to give me a bit of a spectrum, prise wise?

high hundreds of what exactly?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you look at Champs, don't get Fender's new Champion 600. First of all, it's a blackface circuit, not tweed, which is just not as good, and second, the speaker is the worst I've ever heard in a guitar amp. The Gretsch Electromatic 5222 is a copy of the tweed Champ. Personally, though, I'd get a kit.

The Marshall Class 5 is not very good IMO, it's got even more of the velcro-ness than the Vox AC4.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Fender mustang
Peavey vyper
Jet city picovalve
Vox lil night train

An honest number for a budget will help.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
For high hundreds, a jet city 20 watt combo is probably the best you can do(which is better than most suggestions here anyway)
Ok, probably around 600 euro.

Yeah, not exactly high hundreds but you get the jist now.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the suggestions for far, getting some good info here.

Also, definitely looking for a tube amp
Last edited by Mad-Mardegan at Sep 9, 2011,
are you in the uk, or elsewhere in europe?

only asking because sometimes people convert to a different currency because they think it's easier for us, whereas it'd just be easier to tell us where you are and what currency you use (as gear costs different amounts in different places).

off the top of my head, though, i'd look into the traynor ycv50b on thomann, valvepower marshall 18 watt clone + cab (traynor one with the greenback on thomann?), maybe some of the jet cities (haven't tried them), laney lionheart, mjw/martamp (various models, haven't tried them), matamp minimat (again, various models, haven't tried them), english valve amps (various models, haven't tried them).

Depending on exactly how much hard rock/blues/classic rock you play, and what exactly you mean by those genres. And also depending on what type of features you want (multiple channels; some form of power scaling; fx loop; master volume; etc. ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 9, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you in the uk, or elsewhere in europe?

only asking because sometimes people convert to a different currency because they think it's easier for us, whereas it'd just be easier to tell us where you are and what currency you use (as gear costs different amounts in different places).

off the top of my head, though, i'd look into the traynor ycv50b on thomann, valvepower marshall 18 watt clone + cab (traynor one with the greenback on thomann?), maybe some of the jet cities (haven't tried them).

Depending on exactly how much hard rock/blues/classic rock you play, and what exactly you mean by those genres.

I'm in Ireland. Will most likely be buying from thomann anyway.

I have a Gibson Les Paul with Pro Alnico II's

The sound I want is Slash/Gary Moore/Page and maybe with the help of some pedals get close to a Zakk Wylde sound. Also, Ray Vaughan sound if I play with a strat.

I know I won't cover all ranges but something along those lines, just so you can get an idea of what I mean.
check my edit, i added stuff after you posted (not that it really matters after the info you've given me, lol).

yeah the traynor is probably your best bet for that (i've only tried the 40 watter, but it's pretty similar to the 50 except the 50 is supposedly more "marshally").

the valvepower would do zeppelin the best but would need a fair bit of boost for the heavier stuff (and wouldn't be the best choice even with a boost).

the traynor should have near enough enough gain for ZW on its own, certainly with a boost. And the clean channel should let you get into the ballpark for srv. Combine it with a ts-style od and it should do most of the tones you want, i think.

As long as it sounds good enough turned down, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?