So I see that everybody recommends that you put some graphite in the nut or saddle for better tuning stability IIRC..so does that mean I can just take some pencil shavings and rub it down the nut and saddles? Or does it have to be some special kind of graphite?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Pencil graphite works just fine
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I think it takes a special kind of Graphite.

Although, since you mentioned it, Does anyone know how a graphite guitar sounds? Are they any good?
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Graphite is graphite. Take a thinly sharpened pencil and color in the nut slots...bam done. Or you could use lock deicer which will absorb well into a nut and probably last much longer than the pencil trick.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
I think it takes a special kind of Graphite.

Although, since you mentioned it, Does anyone know how a graphite guitar sounds? Are they any good?

Man, a graphite guitar would be a terrible idea!

But fr srs I put a graphite (well, self-lubricating graphite-impregnated teflon composite) nut on my first guitar (a Strat) years ago, and it's awesome. It slightly improved sustain, but it radically improved tuning stability and prevented those little ting-ting-ting noises that come from heavy trem use.

EDIT: Oh god people actually make graphite guitars?! Why?! It's so, so soft! And fragile!
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Sep 9, 2011,
Alright cool. And I was taking a look at several type of nuts on the GuitarCenter website and came across this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-LSR-Roller-Nut-100184762-i1130050.gc

What do you guys think of this? Is it a better alternative to graphite nuts?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Roller nuts are a lot better than any other type of nut for tuning stability. But they also effect your sound the most too and they can be hard to fit. Since they're made of metal it means your open strings will sound brighter. Strats start to sound like Teles, Les Pauls start to sound like Flying Vs, that kind of change. They also can only fit 9.5" radius necks, they're limited in how high or low you can set the action, they're limited on how thick the strings can be, you can't really use them with tilt-back headstocks and fitting them requires you to widen the nut slot forwards which is a perminant mod you can't fix if you decide that you don't like the roller nut and want to put a normal nut back in.

Try a american deluxe HSS strat or a Jeff Beck strat first. They both use roller nuts stock so you can try those and see if you like the sound and feel. Then think whether you'd be happy with having your nut slot permanently widened. If you like them when you try it out and you can live with it being a permanent mod, go for it. Nothing beats a roller nut. Otherwise, a graph tech graphite nut will suit most people just fine.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
EDIT: Oh god people actually make graphite guitars?! Why?! It's so, so soft! And fragile!

I looked up some websites... it's actually fairly interesting.

Graphite would be my last choice of a material to make guitars out of.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I always thought the graphite guitars were like a weave/composite type thing (kinda like what graphite golf club shafts are made out of). I'd be interested to try one, and if they are actually that composite stuff then they would be pretty damn sturdy from what I've experienced with it.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
I always thought the graphite guitars were like a weave/composite type thing (kinda like what graphite golf club shafts are made out of). I'd be interested to try one, and if they are actually that composite stuff then they would be pretty damn sturdy from what I've experienced with it.

It is.

Though I've only read what's been said on the sites, it sounds fairly good, and I would be quite interested in trying one too. New materials are getting pretty big in the guitar world now.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by barden1069

That's what I think too.
I've read that they are amazing, but people can be stupid sometimes so...
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Graphite is graphite. Take a thinly sharpened pencil and color in the nut slots...bam done. Or you could use lock deicer which will absorb well into a nut and probably last much longer than the pencil trick.

er...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_lead#Grading_and_classification

"The various graphite pencil grades are achieved by altering the proportion of graphite to clay: the more clay the harder the pencil.[26][27][28] Two pencils of the same grade but different manufacturers will not necessarily make a mark of identical tone nor have the same hardness.[29]"

judging by that you'd probably want more of a B pencil than an H. Though maybe it doesn't matter all that much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, done some research, graphite guitars (I always heard them called "carbon fiber," which wouldn't have bewildered me) are awesome. Buy one today. I thought people were talking about solid pieces of graphite, which would have been crazy.

But they aren't self-lubricating or anything, so they're not really relevant to the OP.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.